The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Drag Race Build Blaze Blue

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Blue Blaze was the member that built this car. It ran out in colorado and from my understanding was one badass ride. I drove 11hrs to illinois to pick this up and bring it back to Minnesota. I have had the car for about a month. Spent some time stripping it down (not much to strip) and getting an idea in my head of a plan of attack.

The chassis is in a perfect place to start. Alot of the fab work has been done. My understanding is for it to cert 8.5 NHRA i need to add lateral bars. There is a ton of work i want to do, every day i think of things i want to do. I have told myself i want to get it done for next year.

Parts i have collected:

- kelford 288 cams with fidanza gears
- curtbrown 2g race head modified for 6 bolt block
- stock 6 bolt long block
-JMF drag intake
-K-tuned throttle body
-6 bolt girdle
-ARP main studs
-Front Line Fab Oil pump
-PPG dog box
-Boostin Transfer case

There are alot of unknowns and one of them is the turbo. Unfortunately funds are low after recently buying the dog box setup. It needed to be done tho and am excited to get it in the mail. Currently waiting on my chromoly order so i can add later bars, position the seat/Wheel, and tube the front end. For the next month or two its back to cheap lunches and strictly working on it no more buying.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
I measured the main and rod journals which all checked out. I positioned the crank back in the block while i did some polishing.

This is one of the rod journals i got done. I plan on remeasuring everything once polished to see where its at. Need to order some block fill so i can get it sent to machinist.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Got the transfer case the other day. Still waiting on chromoly, I have been told we are in a shortage. Planning on traveling to Chicago to pick up the dogbox, DSS front hubs/axles, and DSS driveshaft late may early June. Need to find a machine shop local to MN for the block. MAP seems like the only option. Was told they wont touch the block for cheaper than 1500 though. Going to start working on mounting the seat and wheel in a position that fit me better.

Also working on repairing some rust on my first DSM i owned. First time doing rust repair thought i would post some pictures of it.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Finishing up my other projects and am starting to put my effort towards this build.

Dogbox came in last week, built by shep trans. Its going to end up sitting on a shelf for more than likely till next summer.

I pulled the rear differential out of a buddies manual 1g. Plan is to drop the pinion/ring/LSD of the 1g into the diff housing that came with the car. Still debating if I should separate the differential or just drop it in.

I wet blasted the rear subframe and dropped it off at the powder coater. Need to ordered some sold bushing from VOLK. I dont have a picture of it after being blasted, it developed some flash rust but coating guy did not think it would be an issue.

Another thing I have been working on is my tig welding. Plugging holes, building a window regulator mount. Need to keep practicing before I tube the front end. Plan on driving it on the street so I want to be able to roll the windows down. Got some glass from a guy who was junking a 2g. Was able to get the glass to fit somewhat good. Once I get the regulator mounted to where the glass fits perfect I'm going to try to get the Lexan in there. Thinking of building an aluminum frame to support it to still allow the up/down function. Which might be a waste of time but Im going to give it some thought.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
The rear subframe has been coated just waiting for the bushings to come in. Also mocked up an aluminum frame for the lexan, needs more support bars. Otherwise it will work for what I want to do. Final version will be tinted. I have aluminum to make door cards too. The chromoly came in for the lateral bars so this weekend plan is to get them welded in.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Took the auto rear differential apart. I can tell this thing made some jam, has some discoloration/embedded particles on the viscous coupler.

Any chance someone has here can sell me this part? Also looking to buy a 2g clutch pedal. Got all the DSS axels only need to find that third section of the driveshaft. Next thing I order will be some aluminum long rods and possible a callies crank.

*Selling the 5 gallon fuel cell also have a Bosch inline pump

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Removed the front subframe, brake lines and fuel lines. Going to be using POR 15 on the under side. Before I coat anything I want to get the new fuel setup installed. Currently working on the mounting should have that done this weekend. Today I cut off the throttle body flange on the JMF intake. The intake is port match to the head I plan on running by Curt Brown. Threw a 90mm throttle body flange on it. Was my first time welding aluminum, I did screw up in one spot but there is no leaks.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Got the fuel cell mounted with some left over chromoly. Ordered an AEM inline pump to run for my primer pump to the mechanical, also ordered all lines and fittings to get it plumbed to firewall.

Turned my attention back to my green 2g that I was doing rust repair on the passenger rocker. Going to be finishing that up this week.

Things that are really holding me up that I need to find. If anyone has these parts paypal ready. I put WTB adds out but no luck in MN.

1. Manual 2g LSD differential
2. clutch pedal
3. 3rd section of the driveshaft

320-296-593O txt preferred if you have any of these parts (would prefer to just buy LSD unit)

Still waiting on the Frontline Fabrications 6 bolt oil pump that I ordered in late February. Cant get a response from Andrew on an ETA. Once I receive that I will be sending two blocks to MAP for machining. Ordered a race dash along with some AR fenders from carbonetics. Also went in on a group buy for lower LCA with Volk.

Silverspyder

Proven Member
Nov 18, 2002
Burnsville, Minnesota
Still waiting on the Frontline Fabrications 6 bolt oil pump that I ordered in late February. Cant get a response from Andrew on an ETA
Jesus, you've been waiting since February?! I ordered a rear diff cover back in June and can't get ahold of him either, he doesn't give updates, etc. He quoted me 8 weeks and now going on 16. I'm also in MN and getting seriously pissed and losing my patience with him. His communication was great until he got my money. Go figure. Your build is looking awesome! Here's to hoping we get our parts...or our money back.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Yeah he does them in batches I would think, I will just be patient and hopefully get it over the winter.

PARTS RECIEVED
-FT550
-2x Injector drivers
-FT nano w/sensor
-Holly sensor Block with x4 PT
-1GN1A Coils
-Volk front and rear LCA
-Volk K-member bushings
-Volk trailing arms
-AEM 400 with bracket and shit ton of AN fittings, Line, Clamps ect

The fuel cell is mounted so next step would be get it plumbed. So I will be working on K-member bushings and more than likely creating clearance for the 10an feed (previous owner already did some). The electric pump is going to prime my mechanical which will feed 8 injectors. Thats the plan atleast. I will more than likely end up wiring this my self as I find that relaxing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds