The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Black top CAS more than 1 version?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
I had someone send me a billet CAS cover but when it arrived it didn't fit because mine has a lip that the cover sits on. Cover has a groove built in. He swears his does not and is flat.

Is there more than 1 style? Mine looks like this

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Well that's no good. I don't know of more than one style of black top CAS but it looks like there is. His cover needed that lip machined in it. I don't have any black CAS's or I would take a look at one for you.

Well that's no good. I don't know of more than one style of black top CAS but it looks like there is. His cover needed that lip machined in it. I don't have any black CAS's or I would take a look at one for you.
I asked for a picture of his to verify... ive never seen one without that groove

And?

Did it turn out that the billet cover was for a older Green top CAS or was there two different Black top versions?
According to him there is different types... this cover did not go under the little black part in the pics

So no change and this remains unresolved.

He, whoever he is, says his black top CAS doesn't have a lip and yours clearly does. Has he provided photo proof of his claim? It would seem like covers with a machined recess would work for both if there is two different bodies.

I wish I could help but I don't have a black top CAS from either year to reference.

So no change and this remains unresolved.

He, whoever he is, says his black top CAS doesn't have a lip and yours clearly does. Has he provided photo proof of his claim? It would seem like covers with a machined recess would work for both if there is two different bodies.

I wish I could help but I don't have a black top CAS from either year to reference.
I dont want to put a name out because Im not that guy.

1st iteration had no machined lip.
2nd iteration had a lip but didnt clear the lip

For reference my black top is a 1993 model

He asked if I had a spare to send but no spares and not sending mine anywhere.

Perhaps who made that cover used a reman black top or something not genuine as a sample?
I don't know all black top CASs in the world, so I could be wrong. But from my experience, all Mitsubishi black top CASs I had were with a lip and a groove. Those were taken from DSM and JDM cars, and I have never seen one without the lip/groove. I remember that because I always swapped the cover with the cleanest one before selling or using.
I have two spare black top CASs now, and I also confirmed that both have the lip/groove, too.
The lip on the body and the groove on the cover would seal to prevent water and dust. How would it seal if without the lip and the groove?

Perhaps who made that cover used a reman black top or something not genuine as a sample?
I don't know all black top CASs in the world, so I could be wrong. But from my experience, all Mitsubishi black top CASs I had were with a lip and a groove. Those were taken from DSM and JDM cars, and I have never seen one without the lip/groove. I remember that because I always swapped the cover with the cleanest one before selling or using.
I have two spare black top CASs now, and I also confirmed that both have the lip/groove, too.
The lip on the body and the groove on the cover would seal to prevent water and dust. How would it seal if without the lip and the groove?
Well there is a lip and groove... honestly I think he got his cad diameter skewed

? I am confused, I thought the billet cover mating surface is flat and he is saying the CAS he has doesn't have the lip and groove.
1st one was flat

2nd grooved

But even the grooved didnt fit UNDER the black connector

I see, you actually have two covers with and without groove.

I can't see very well your pic but your CAS's black connector lip and housing lip doesn't lined up well for some reason or has something like a flash there in green circle? Isn't that disturbing the cover groove to fit in? Actually it looks a bit different from mine.

If you have one with a groove, why don't you measure it to compare with the original cover?
Perhaps he made the groove to fit with the lip too exactly. I see on mine that the groove fits with the lip loosely with some gap.

Last edited:
I see, you actually have two covers with and without groove.

I can't see very well your pic but your CAS's black connector lip and housing lip doesn't lined up well for some reason or has something like a flash there in green circle? Isn't that disturbing the cover groove to fit in? Actually it looks a bit different from mine.

If you have one with a groove, why don't you measure it to compare with the original cover?
Perhaps he made the groove to fit with the lip too exactly. I see on mine that the groove fits with the lip loosely with some gap.

My caliper batteries are dead.. go figure but here is stock cover reading

Here is billet

From what i see around 1.5mm off

Does the billet cover fit well without the sensor black plastic part? If it does, then only the OD is off. You should try that. You can remove only the sensor part easily by removing 4 screws.

What about the bolt hole center position? Lined up?

Here what I measured mine.

Does the billet cover fit well without the sensor black plastic part? If it does, then only the OD is off. You should try that. You can remove only the sensor part easily by removing 4 screws.

What about the bolt hole center position? Lined up?

Here what I measured mine.

Seems like it would line up if it cleared the plug. Is there any play if you loosend the 4 screws where I could maybe wiggle sone clearance?

Im working on other areas of the car right now but I could try that tomorrow

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back