The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

black smoke and skipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luismaster7

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2011
HOMESTEAD, Florida
So after i changed the alternator in my car it now turns on with no problem.
and it idles at about 650-750 is this normal RPM Idle? i dont know much about these cars.

afterwards i noticed when i reved it in idle it would throw out thin puffs of black smoke. Also wanna know if this is normal

The issue that has me concerned is the skipping that the car does while its driving.
Until i get to about 40 mph it skips the whole way on the road and it bounces up and down.

Wanted to ask if you guys know what the cause of this could be.

so the idle is normal but the black smoke isn't?

and the boost leak wouldnt that mean that my turbo wouldnt spool all the way? i havent read too much on boost leaks but does it affect more then just you turbo boost?

well i mean thats what ive been thinking but all the wires are on nice and tight. and i even redid the couplings for the battery and the cables to the battery are both cold after running so that means its getting charge. i dunno if maybe its something in between

A draining battery shouldn't affect the idle. If its running, check the power output of the alternator with a multimeter. It should be above 12.5(?) volts (I don't remember exactly). Normal is around 14 volts. If your having a tough time starting your car (ie. low cranking power, hardly tunring over, etc) then your battery isn't holding your charge well.

Do a boost leak test as mentioned. Black smoke is a sign of running too rich. Make sure your spark plugs are firing on all cylinders as well. Your timing may be off as well. It all depends on what you did when changing your alternator and what may have gotten knocked loose or whatnot.

Look in the tech section and most of the info you need to perform these test are there. Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back