The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

black exhaust fumes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillAvey

Probationary Member
Apr 11, 2016
Tipton, Iowa
I just bought a 92 eclipse. This is my first dsm and have seen dark close to black exhaust fumes and it smells like oil is burning. It does not have a turbo. I am wondering if anything is wrong with it and what could be done to fix it? Also my 3rd gear grinds when it starts up and is cold, would this be a synchro problem?

Black exhaust means there is an overly rich fueling condition. White smoke would be coolant. Since you smell oil burning, do the fumes have a bluish tint? That would indicate you are burning oil. This probably means you have oil entering the combustion chamber. Either from oil getting past the piston rings or leaking down from the valve seals. To confirm you should do a compression or even better, a leak down test.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/compression-and-leak-down-testing.338152/

x2
probably means you have oil entering the combustion chamber. Either from oil getting past the piston rings or leaking down from the valve seals. To confirm you should do a compression or even better, a leak down test.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/compression-and-leak-down-testing.338152/
As for the transmission issues, I have had synchro problems with cold trans fluid. The cold fluid doesn't get where it should be as easily which can cause shift issues until the fluid warms up and thus thins out.

they have several links on the forum to make your own leak down tester using pvc pipe and a compressor hose fitting, cost is about 10 bucks. i made one and has came handy on numerous occasion.

Starts with a leak down test and if not then then make sure you don't have oil going into the intake through the breather

Yeah definitely leak down and compression test. Regarding the black smoke, if you pass the aforementioned tests, you may be running rich or burning oil... Check the o2 sensor. Even if it isn't throwing a code it may be no good

X5 on what everybody else is saying. The gear grinding is probably a synchro issue, unless your trying to shift at higher Rpms right when you turn the car on, slow moderate shifts shouldn't have any grinds on cold fluid. Do you know the condition of the fluid ?
Trans fluid makes a huge difference in the tranny, I'm not 100 percent sure on what fluid a n/a takes but I'm sure you can look in the search bar and find something good luck !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back