The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bilstein HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well got back from vacation in France and Switzerland. I was freeriding in Chamonix and La grave. I also hit the Geneva car show, every car manufacture was there. All of the high end cars were there. I have some photos I will post soon. I got back on the struts this weekend. I just about finished them. Plan to aligh it on sunday. I will let you know how it works out.
Rick

Well I finished the front struts today. I went to my friend shop and did an alignment . It works great. Next I will order there rears. They will be much easyer than the fronts. It seem to ride a little smother than the KYB's. It took me about 40-50 hours to build them. The next will take a lot less time.This a new alternative to the koni's with ground controls It cost me
220.00 Strut inserts
120.00 Hyperco springs
50.00 tubing fot the housing
30.00 hardware, nuts and bolts
Rick

Here are some photos of the finished strut.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to hearing about how they handle. Defiantly like what you've done.

Looking forward to hearing about how they handle. Defiantly like what you've done.

Thank you for the kind words. Friday I will be ordering the rear shocks. I will be ordering evo 9 rear shocks. What I have been researching they are the best pick. If anybody have a susgestion please let me know. It seems like the Bilstein's ride smoother than KYB's in good condition. I took the advise from Dennis Grant to use the Bilstein's
Rick

I suspect that tuning may be more user friendly using the same brand dampers all around so, yeah I like where your head's at, man.

Also, I am oddly drawn to the bicycle in the background...

DSM Jeff, defiantly? Haha!

I suspect that tuning may be more user friendly using the same brand dampers all around so, yeah I like where your head's at, man.

Also, I am oddly drawn to the bicycle in the background...

DSM Jeff, defiantly? Haha!

That bike is an old Albert Eisentraut . I bought it in 1974 as a junior road racer. It has full Campy on it. It was a hand made bike frame from Oakland California.
Rick
I still ride it

That bike is an old Albert Eisentraut . I bought it in 1974 as a junior road racer. It has full Campy on it. It was a hand made bike frame from Oakland California.
Rick
I still ride it

From the pic I could not have known she was that awesome, full Campagnolo, drrooolll... Props on keeping her on the road too! (yeah, I'm can be a bit of a bike nut...) Just searched Albert: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Eisentraut_main.htm Fantastic.

Really liking the front strut shaft diameter, should keep the alignment settings more stable in high G situations. What does the upper pillow ball mount look like? I'm guessing that with the offset, you are able to see some serious camber numbers.

I noticed the front spring rate you chose seems a bit lighter than most, (mine notwithstanding, haha) how did you arrive on that? What spring rate were you thinking for the rears?

From the pic I could not have known she was that awesome, full Campagnolo, drrooolll... Props on keeping her on the road too! (yeah, I'm can be a bit of a bike nut...) Just searched Albert: Albert Eisentraut, home Fantastic.

Really liking the front strut shaft diameter, should keep the alignment settings more stable in high G situations. What does the upper pillow ball mount look like? I'm guessing that with the offset, you are able to see some serious camber numbers.

I noticed the front spring rate you chose seems a bit lighter than most, (mine notwithstanding, haha) how did you arrive on that? What spring rate were you thinking for the rears?

I have ground control coil overs and ground control camber plates. I am runing -1 camber and 5* positive caster with o* toe in.
I am runing 375* front with 275* rears. That is what ground control suggested for a DD. I have a set of Bilstien hd for a evo 9 on order. For the roads here in Colorado, those spring rates are stiff enough.
Rick

would be so kind as to post the part #'s for what you have ordered? Thank you

Next to the great bike is a car lift. I am jealous...
SICKKKKKKK:thumb:

would be so kind as to post the part #'s for what you have ordered? Thank you

Next to the great bike is a car lift. I am jealous...
SICKKKKKKK:thumb:

The strut insert is a 3000gt bilstein HD #R36-5022-H1
Everthing else is custom made. The housing measerments are listed on page 1 of this tread.
Rick

so the rears are the evo 9's, do they bolt up or are you making sleeves for them as well? Thank you

can you show a picture of the top plate and how you completed that part? Thanks again

Got the rear shocks on today. They are 95 3000gt Bilstein #24-017435. They are 1/2" longer than stock rear shocks. I had to machine a bushing for the bottom bolt hole. The 3000gt shock is about 2mm larger than stock. I also machined a ring to hold the Ground Control coil over sleeve. I am using 275# springs.
Rick

The 3kgt and the 3000gt has the same strut insert. I spoke with Bilstein last monday. I have the measurments of the inserts. The strut insert housing are the same as the Konis. Next I must get the measurment of the Talon Koni rebound and compressed measurments. I know they will fit a Galant. The Galant has a longer strut. If anybody has the measurments of the Koni strut inserts please post them.
Rick

I'm a little confused by this post. Did you mean to write DSM has the same insert as a 3kgt? Are both 36mm diameter?
Will the hd bilstein fit inside a DSM strut housing?

Edit
After looking around I came up with this:
r36-5022
Od 45.8mm(1.8")
Extended 480mm(18.89")
Collapsed 380mm(14.96")
Body 266mm(10.47")

Koni 8611
OD 43.5mm(1.71")

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by this post. Did you mean to write DSM has the same insert as a 3kgt? Are both 36mm diameter?
Will the hd bilstein fit inside a DSM strut housing?

The DSM housing is about 1/8 to 1/4 smaller ID than the 3000gt. That is why I built my own inserts. I think I gave the ID and OD and length of the inserts
Rick

The 3kgt and the 3000gt has the same strut insert. I spoke with Bilstein last monday. I have the measurments of the inserts. The strut insert housing are the same as the Konis. Next I must get the measurment of the Talon Koni rebound and compressed measurments. I know they will fit a Galant. The Galant has a longer strut. If anybody has the measurments of the Koni strut inserts please post them.
Rick

I didn't measure. I was going by what you said here that they were the same as the koni insert.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back