The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Billowing smoke coming from catch can 2g awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmspick

Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Profile is up to date. Fresh rebuild on a stock 6 bolt swap. I have about 130ish miles on new rebuild. Did the motoman break in. Car was running great and doing normal break in varying RPMS and getting into to boost but nothing crazy, that was last night the 2nd on wg set at 20 (though the highest I got was 12ish). Went to drive over to a friends today to pull his transmission and the car is smoking from under the hood badly, sounds weird, and died when coming to a stop. went around the block to go back to my house. pulled it into my driveway and popped the hood to see where the smoke was coming from. Smoke is coming from my vented catch can (no pcv). I have 10an fittings welded to the stock locations. It also comes out of the oil cap spot when that is open. Also coming from the oil dipstick tube when that is pulled out a bit as well. No leaks under the car. Using normal non synthetic, non detergent oil. Did a BLT and had no boost leaks. Smoke smelt like oil/fuel. Car was running extremely rich. Tried to lean the car out to get airflow per revs back in line to .25 up from .15 and couldn't no matter what I did. No smoke coming from exhaust or anywhere else, just the catchcan. I know the rings arent fully seated but it wasnt having this issue up until this point.
Here is a picture if that helps.
Any ideas as to where I should look?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And here is an accurate representation of the billowing smoke (it was dark, ok?)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Sounds like blow by. You should re install a Pcv valve or have some sort of vacuum for crank pressure.
You need a way to vent crankcase pressure with the engine under vacuum(this is the function of the PCV valve) AND boost(this is the function of the hose going from the valve cover, to the air inlet pipe, and this is where a catch can is supposed to be installed, to keep oil from getting into the air inlet, and pooling up in the IC pipes. Also it would help to know what color smoke, black=fuel, white=coolant, blue/blueish white=oil, generally speaking. But put the PCV back on it, and check all the other vacuum hoses too.

Did a cold compression test. I had 130psi on 1,2,and 3. 4 showed 85psi, so I put a cap of oil and it raised to 90psi. Did a leak down test on that cylinder and air was pouring out of the exhaust valves. I had it at top dead for that cylinder, even tried turning the motor one way or another and nothing worked to stop the air out of the exhaust valves. Also all 4 plugs are completely fouled and smelt of fuel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back