The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Big16G Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegs-t

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2004
Bellevue, Nebraska
does anyone know if a big16g can support 400awhp with a stock 2g side-mount?

You will be very very lucky to break 300whp on a SMIC.

The stock side mount can only cool so much air 250 WHP is pushing it on a stock side mount. The stock side mount will not cool the air enough above 16 psi after that it heat soaks and just pushes hot air thew the motor causing knock, pulled timing by the computer and possible detionation. If you want any boost above 16 and decent power on the dyno you NEED a FMIC. You need to look at it as a complet system not just a bigger turbo. The above metioned is a SAFE level on 93 pump gas. Guys have boosted more on race fuel but you still have that hot intake air.

Thank you! some guy on a local board was telling me that he was making 400awhp with a big16G and the stock 2G side-mount. i said it was not possible. they went on ranting about how the guy has been tuning cars for years and basically i'm dumb for questioning it. this is what i have to say to that :p !

It'll take a lot more than just a FMIC to put a big 16g to 400 awhp

agreed the only way i could see this happening is with a FMIC not a stock sidemount, and if the guy used c16 and ran the big16g way out of its effective psi range prolly like 26-32 psi and had God tune his car....... or used a 50 shot. LOL

CanadianTSi said:
I'm pretty sure no 16g has made 400AWHP....ever

Slowboy "did it" (dyno ) apparently, although it obviously wasn't any normal car (for starters, it was on a stroker).

2gGSX said:
Slowboy "did it" (dyno ) apparently, although it obviously wasn't any normal car (for starters, it was on a stroker).

That has nothing to do with the turbo's capabilties.

bluegs-t said:
16g can support 400awhp

Slowboy put down 400 to the front wheels, to put 400 down to all four you would have to factor in another 10% drivetrain loss which means an additional 40whp would be needed.

I know this does not pertain to a big16g but, has anybody seen Buschur's website? He has an EVO (Curt Brown's actually) that ran 11.23 @ 123.8 mph on a stock turbo. That is a 16g type turbo, very similar to the EVOIII 16g compressor and a big A/R turbine housing like the Hahn Super 16g. The 1/4 mile calculator puts that car at 494 crank h.p. based on (assuming 3320 lbs weight) the trap speed. Thats unheard of mph for a 16g based turbo. The mods list also seems like the standard bolt on stuff; stock turbo, stock head, stock short block, cams, intake, exhaust, bored throttlebody, racegas, bigger FMIC, AEM standalone, etc. Using a reasonable 20% drivetrain loss I get 395 a.w.h.p, pretty darned close to 400. Would be cool if he'd dyno it on an all wheel drive dyno :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back