The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Big Turbo for a 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedWeapon98

Probationary Member
Jan 18, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
First of all Ive been reading the forums for dsmtuners and 2gnt for a year and I am coming out of the closet.....so to speak. Anyway question, I am thinking about adding boost to my RS but am wondering what size turbo would work best. Because the 420a has a high compression (like 10.5:1 I think ) you cant run high boost. I know you can get a thicker head gasket and it would lower your compression. If I got a small(er) turbo that had a quick spool It would be best for above situation? If this is correct what turbo or modded turbo would work best.... Hope this isnt a repeat thread :thumb:

Hahn16G will spool the fastest and the STAR kit will spool slower but will have more top end. Rebuild your bottom end with forged internals and lower compression. There is a million combinations for turbo housing size, brand, wastegates, A/R, bearings or bushings, etc...

and yes this is a repeat..I would buy the book Maximum Boost

Gotcha :thumb: Any warnings against buying a used turbo on say ebay or from a friend?
And yes I AM being cheap. I thought about going nitrous but with a turbo the possiblities are limitless. I know going cheap could mean not going fast or not going anywhere :thumbdown , looking to spend under $1200. Any suggestions?

A good turbo setup without upgrading your internals will run you about $3000 when all is said and done, and thats a GOOD setup. If you dont upgrade your internals then you can only run 8psi max, anything over that will cook some rings, and say bubye to cylinader walls.

Best info for the n/t is 2gnt.com, they are a technical site. Good luck :thumb:

EDIT: Just remembered that there is a large n/t crew out in the pheonix area, hit up their website http://www.az2gnt.net/ and tell them Crazy sent you. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks crazy I will I'll probably head up to the In And Out Meet. :thumb: As for 2gnt I think their registration link is down because wont lemme register :cry: And the more I think about it the more appealing the hahn stage 2 sounds...... cant go cheap. My issue is beating my cousin who just got an accord w/ a vtec integra swap (b-20?). I cant loose :mad: Its a family thing. And Im sure theyll move my post cause its not on turbo converstions anymore :thumb:

the words ebay and turbo setup should never be in the smae sentence period, unless you're buying a brand new kit from someone trust me you'll get hosed going with something sub par ie anything not hahn or star.

RedWeapon98 said:
Thanks crazy I will I'll probably head up to the In And Out Meet. :thumb: As for 2gnt I think their registration link is down because wont lemme register :cry: And the more I think about it the more appealing the hahn stage 2 sounds...... cant go cheap. My issue is beating my cousin who just got an accord w/ a vtec integra swap (b-20?). I cant loose :mad: Its a family thing. And Im sure theyll move my post cause its not on turbo converstions anymore :thumb:
The only reason why I didnt go with Hahn was because when I called, they wanted a money order for payment only. They said I couldnt use my credit card because they could easily get screwed by me saying I didnt get a part and dispute it with the CC company.

Whatever tho, I'm happy with my Star. I actually wouldnt really call it a star tho, only thing 'star' is the exhaust mani now. LOL

RedWeapon98 said:
Gotcha :thumb: Any warnings against buying a used turbo on say ebay or from a friend?
And yes I AM being cheap. I thought about going nitrous but with a turbo the possiblities are limitless. I know going cheap could mean not going fast or not going anywhere :thumbdown , looking to spend under $1200. Any suggestions?

1,200 is understandable but if u have to spend 3 grand, and then plus misc parts u might wanna think of selling the car for a stock turbo. Just keep in mind your putting 3 grand into it already and eventually it'll probably go like it did for all of us so you'll have to rebuild to get any decent power really imo. Trust after you've spent 3 grand you'll want more...the boost bug will hit...LOL...so know what your getting yourself into but gl :thumb:

Yeah some guy is selling a star kit on ebay for like $800 w/o intercooler. :laugh: And I acually considered it. :barf: :barf: Maybe if I want immediate power I'll go nitrous. Turbo is something I think should be taken seriously. We all want fast cars but some of us (me) :rolleyes: either dont have the knowledge or money to do it right....... grasshopper understands now master

First of all Ive been reading the forums for dsmtuners and 2gnt for a year and I am coming out of the closet.....so to speak. Anyway question, I am thinking about adding boost to my RS but am wondering what size turbo would work best. Because the 420a has a high compression (like 10.5:1 I think ) you cant run high boost. I know you can get a thicker head gasket and it would lower your compression. If I got a small(er) turbo that had a quick spool It would be best for above situation? If this is correct what turbo or modded turbo would work best.... Hope this isnt a repeat thread

if you've been reading dsmtuners and 2gnt, why do you ask a question as such?

I am coming out of the closet.....

so you're not straight??

dustyb said:
so you're not straight??
I think he got bit by the boost bug. Those damn insects suck. I got bit by a bunch of em, made me spend like all my money. Sto0pid things!!!!

RedWeapon98 said:
(like 10.5:1 I think )
i thought we had like 9.5 or something, i would stray away from prefab turbo kits, because they sometimes dont come with everything you want, heres a list to make your own "backyard" turbo kit:

Turbo & Wastegate (14b will work prefect, thats what im using)
Intercooler (SMIC works great and cheap)
BOV (1g bov)
Turbo Manifold (youcan get a shitty log style for cheap on ebay or SS Turbo Headers
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Bigger injectors
SS Oil Lines
Boost Controller
Downpipe
ACT 2100 Clutch (your stock clutch is worthless)
IC Piping
Missing Link MAP Bypass Valve (so your ecu doesnt freak out when you start boosting)
Boost Gauge (duh)
EGT Gauge (to make sure you done burn up a piston or something)
Air/fuel Gauge
SAFC (control your fuel cause your gonna need it with those bigger injectors and pump)

instead of spending 3k on a prefab kit you can spend under 1500 on a backyard setup

14b is not a good choice compared to the S16 or T3/T4 that are in the kits.. Why would you want to make a ghetto setup? Save your money and do it right the first time.. I agree that the kits have parts that you don't want/need but at least you can re-sell them.

dont be dissing the backyard setup, if its done right, aka no half assing it will run good, it goes the same with the pre fab kits, you could half ass put on the pre fab kit and your car could run like shit, i like the backyard kit because you can pretty much custom build your own setup and not worry about finding a buy for something you dont want, you say stuff about doing it right the first time, well if you buy a kit that has parts you dont want and buy the parts you do want to replace them, the barkyard kit you can DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, the first time by getting what you want the first time

RandomHero said:
dont be dissing the backyard setup, if its done right, aka no half assing it will run good, it goes the same with the pre fab kits, you could half ass put on the pre fab kit and your car could run like shit, i like the backyard kit because you can pretty much custom build your own setup and not worry about finding a buy for something you dont want, you say stuff about doing it right the first time, well if you buy a kit that has parts you dont want and buy the parts you do want to replace them, the barkyard kit you can DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, the first time by getting what you want the first time
If someone is putting a kit on for the first time, they wont have a clue what they are doing. Why go backyard the first time around and end up forgetting stuff? Buying the premade kit for first timers is best imo, comes with instructions. But whatever floats your boat.

I woulda looked at the car and the parts and prolly fell over overwhelmed. LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we had 8.5:1 compression, keeps the octane rating down as well as power.

wow I just got off of that site turbocalculator. A t03/04e turbo and a tubular style SS manifold, 35mm tial wastegate and a good sized spearco IC only runs 1200 bucks. Not a complete kit mid you but damn thats pretty cheap :thumb:

GotSome-Turbo said:
the words ebay and turbo setup should never be in the smae sentence period, unless you're buying a brand new kit from someone trust me you'll get hosed going with something sub par ie anything not hahn or star.

Yea i would say to be weary of buying a turbo kit off Ebay. I bought mine off their and its complete Hahn stage 1 kit, minus smic which i didnt want anyways, but I had to send it to Hahn to get the bearings replaced. All in all it was a good deal, i got a 95% complete kit for 1000 and in my opinion thats not bad. The guy i bought it off of is a douche bag though, said he would pay me back for having the bearings replaced but I never saw any money or heard from him again after I told him. You can find some good kits on Ebay though, just be smart about it, ask a sh!t ton of questions and research whoever it is your buying it from. Also make sure to use buyer protection, sometimes it helps.

BTW does anyone know where to get a Missing Link MAP Bypass Valve?? i def need one of these for my setup. I mean i know i can find them on the interenet somewhere, but anyone know where to find one for a good price?

Thats about as cheap as you can find them brand new. Buying that on eBay is ok, it wouldnt be worth it to try to make an imitaion. I think I got mine for $70.

RandomHero said:
i thought we had like 9.5 or something, i would stray away from prefab turbo kits, because they sometimes dont come with everything you want, heres a list to make your own "backyard" turbo kit:

Turbo & Wastegate (14b will work prefect, thats what im using)
Intercooler (SMIC works great and cheap)
BOV (1g bov)
Turbo Manifold (youcan get a shitty log style for cheap on ebay or SS Turbo Headers
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Bigger injectors
SS Oil Lines
Boost Controller
Downpipe
ACT 2100 Clutch (your stock clutch is worthless)
IC Piping
Missing Link MAP Bypass Valve (so your ecu doesnt freak out when you start boosting)
Boost Gauge (duh)
EGT Gauge (to make sure you done burn up a piston or something)
Air/fuel Gauge
SAFC (control your fuel cause your gonna need it with those bigger injectors and pump)

instead of spending 3k on a prefab kit you can spend under 1500 on a backyard setup

You can't use the SAFC with a missing link.. One reads MAP voltage, the other manipulates it.. I wasted expensive dyno time figuring this one out.

You don't need the missing link if you have a 95 or 96 either...

That list is crap, It is over 1500 and you forgot a FMU or SFMU... The cost of fabricating the IC piping and downpipe?...I'm assuming your "backyard" setup includes alumnium foil and zip ties as fabrication?

Those cheap manifolds are going to crack too.. I'm sure it's high quality like SSautochrome or OBX?

I'm guessing your turbo was used too...I don't think I've ever heard of somebody saying look what I just wasted my money on, a 14b turbo! :thumb:

When it comes down to it you still need: BOV flange, IC silicone couplers, Upper radiator hose cover, Gaskets, Fuel pump rewire, fuel pressure gauge, bolts, and other crap that doesn't come with a kit.

try again...

why dont one of you guys that have turboed a 420a make a parts list or something and post it somewhere where the rest of us can see, that way we get one RIGHT answer and no one has to argue. unless there is already a list on this site somewhere.

just a suggestion

420a16g said:
why dont one of you guys that have turboed a 420a make a parts list or something and post it somewhere where the rest of us can see, that way we get one RIGHT answer and no one has to argue. unless there is already a list on this site somewhere.

just a suggestion

Thank you! I have been trying to do this but nobody has responded or acknowledged us.

This is a general one:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84537

420a16g said:
BTW does anyone know where to get a Missing Link MAP Bypass Valve?? i def need one of these for my setup. I mean i know i can find them on the interenet somewhere, but anyone know where to find one for a good price?

I got the star turbokit AND the missing link from importparts.com. Had no problems at all, and shipping was done with teh quickness ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back