The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Big T28 dyno sheets

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've not been to a 1/4 mile track, but I trapped around 87mph in the 1/8 on my FP B28 (FWD). It was also very hot and muggy the night I ran. The temp was about 75 to 80 degrees, and I was also about 1800ft above sea-level running about 21psi, with it dropping to around 19 psi by redline. I haven't run yet with my Zex wet 75 shot kit that I just installed. I'd probably say around 115 to 118 traps in the 1/4 on spray should be obtainable.

Here's my contribution, a few datalogs from DSMLINK. The extensions need to be changed from .txt to .dat to be read. Just download the DSMLINK software from www.dsmlink.com. Take the "estimated" w.h.p. for what its worth, but one log shows 321 w.h.p. in 3rd gear. I got a spool log laying around somewhere, I'll dig it up.

I'm gettin pretty close to being done with the little T28.

Attachments

• 291whp_2g_maf.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 321whp_VPC.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 185
I have a KILLER T-28 laying around. However I was going to use it for my car, but decided to sell it. It is brand new still. PM me for details. This has the big 16g compressor making it bigger than the Big 28 but it bolts right up.

pboglio said:
I think 330 w.h.p. is realistic and probably the practical upper limit for a T28. The secret is holding boost, that isn't so easy on a T28 because of the large wastegate flapper. I have zero intake/exhaust leaks and a high pressure wastegate actuator, and my boost still drops off to 17 psi by redline when set for 21 psi in the midrange.

I'm going to try a boost controller with rpm programmable settings. I've already run 21 psi at redline, but I had to tolerate 24-25 psi in the midrange. Man, the power difference between 21 psi in the midrange and 24-25 psi is huge, at least 30 h.p. So its obvious my wastegate actuator can hold the exhaust back pressure but not in a linear way.

I'd say to run even 330 w.h.p., you'd need to hold 21-23 psi to 7000 rpm to have a chance. On another note, cams are a guaranteed 25 h.p. on a T28, worth every penny.

My goal is to hit 38 lb/min on my T28, highest I've hit so far is 36.5 lb/min.
pboglio... when you had to tolerate 24-25psi in the midrange to run 21psi by redline, would you call that a boost spike? Mine does the same thing, and I'm having a hard time trying to decipher if it's boost spike or just boost fade? I'm boosting to about 23psi in the midrange and then mine seems to taper to about 19psi by redline. I'm also running HKS 264/272 cams. Thanks for any info. :)

fatso said:
I just put my car back together with more than enough supporting mods and a big t28 and I was wondering if anyone with a big t28 or one with similar mods was making decent hp and 1/4 mile times? :dsm:
mod list in profile:
I forgot to mention that those are damn good #'s if your running 13psi like it says in your profile. Is that the boost that you were running when you had your car dynoed? Thanks :)

Generation X said:
pboglio... when you had to tolerate 24-25psi in the midrange to run 21psi by redline, would you call that a boost spike? Mine does the same thing, and I'm having a hard time trying to decipher if it's boost spike or just boost fade? I'm boosting to about 23psi in the midrange and then mine seems to taper to about 19psi by redline. I'm also running HKS 264/272 cams. Thanks for any info. :)

Generation X,

No definitely not a boost spike. Car would hit 25 psi dead nuts say at 4500 rpm, squat hard and hold 25 psi to 6000 rpm, then it would go down down to 21 psi by 7000 rpm. This was on stock 2g cams.

At the moment I'm running HKS 264/264's, awesome upgrade. I'm seriously considering the HKS 272 exhaust cam, whatta ya think, opinions, comments? How's the idle? My Desktop dyno shows a damned big h.p. increase going from the HKS 264 to HKS 272 exhaust cam, I'm so damned tempted to try it. Post up a log or something if you don't mind.

If anybody cares, last couple mods I have left are 3" downpipe, HKS 272 exhaust cam, E-boost controller, and maybe some more turbo port work and chopping off the restrictive T28 compressor outlet elbow and upsizing my tiny lower I.C. pipe. Then I go for the throat and drop in some 100 octane and go for megaboost.

Your 1/8 mile mph is pretty good, usually you gain an additional 21 mph or more by the 1/4 mile, maybe more for FWD cars. Cheers.

pboglio said:
Generation X,

No definitely not a boost spike. Car would hit 25 psi dead nuts say at 4500 rpm, squat hard and hold 25 psi to 6000 rpm, then it would go down down to 21 psi by 7000 rpm. This was on stock 2g cams.

At the moment I'm running HKS 264/264's, awesome upgrade. I'm seriously considering the HKS 272 exhaust cam, whatta ya think, opinions, comments? How's the idle? My Desktop dyno shows a damned big h.p. increase going from the HKS 264 to HKS 272 exhaust cam, I'm so damned tempted to try it. Post up a log or something if you don't mind.

If anybody cares, last couple mods I have left are 3" downpipe, HKS 272 exhaust cam, E-boost controller, and maybe some more turbo port work and chopping off the restrictive T28 compressor outlet elbow and upsizing my tiny lower I.C. pipe. Then I go for the throat and drop in some 100 octane and go for megaboost.

Your 1/8 mile mph is pretty good, usually you gain an additional 21 mph or more by the 1/4 mile, maybe more for FWD cars. Cheers.
Hey thanks for the info pboglio. Mine sounds similar to yours, so mine must be doing the samething as yours. Your just running a few more psi than me.

As for the cams, I would just stay with what you have now unless you plan on going bigger. Although I did notice a seat of the pants power gain. I'm sure it's really not all that much more compared to the 264 exhaust cam. The only reason I went with the 272 is if I were to go to a little bit bigger of a turbo on down the road. Thanks again for the info. :)

Ok fellas... I'm having some problems adjusting boost with my manual boost controller while using the FP 17psi actuator with the FP Big28.

I shortened the arm a little bit, and now I'm running 25 psi OMG. So... now when I try to lower the boost with my MBC I can't get it to lower the boost at all. I'm not sure why this is happening.

I didn't have this issue with the stock actuator. I could raise or lower my boost with my MBC at any time. If any of you guys could help me out as to why I can't adjust my boost with my MBC along with my FP 17psi actuator I would dearly appreciate it. Thanks!! :)

I thought if you have a mbc there's no need to shorten the arm - just keep it set at the 17psi pressure and raise the boost with the mbc from there. If you make the arm tighter then the mbc can't lower the boost past that certain pressure.

matt97gst said:
I thought if you have a mbc there's no need to shorten the arm - just keep it set at the 17psi pressure and raise the boost with the mbc from there. If you make the arm tighter then the mbc can't lower the boost past that certain pressure.
I guess I'm gonna have to re-adjust the arm then, and put some length back into it. I didn't think that I would gain so much more boost by what little amount that I thought that I shortened it.

25psi is way to much on pump gas. I will certainly be eating a motor running nitrous on that amount of boost, especially without race gas. Thanks! :)

i have the original one from HRC and it says to fit the arm on the wastegate and take it back off and tighten it 2 full turns.
put the are back over the wastegate pivot(?), and tighten down into place.

Thought I'd toss in my results with the FPT28. With a stock longblock, 17psi actuator, 3" exh, dsmlink, fmic, 550's, injen intake and some random suspension mods... I've gone 12.43@ 110 awd. I'm picking up some 272 intake and exhaust cams so hopfully get some good gains there. The 12.43 was in about 40 some degree temp with 114+ octane gas. I've never had the car on a dyno or wideband so I really dont know how I'm doing for power or if I'm really maxing it out.

I've also gone 13.0 @ 100 on 92 octane/pump gas. My goal is to hit a 11.xx with the turbo, but who knows if that will happen. A local shop is supposedly getting a awd dyno so I will more than likely go try that out somtime this summer.

I was also having problems on mine running anything over 21psi. Over that and it would drop to around 10-13 then start comming back up. I never really figured out what was going on just back the boost down a bit and let it go. I also got in 17 runs that day from 10am to 2:40pm

here is an idea of my slip:
60' 1.76
1/8 7.958
mph 86.93
1/4 12.431
mph 110.71

For spool time on the big T28, I run one on my daily driven A-B Eclipse with Automatic and only have it set at 14psi. It'll reach 14psi at 2500rpm which is more than fast enough for me and the slow shifting/unpredictable automatic. As a comparison, the original T25 would hit 14psi in the same conditions at around 2200rpm. and for unreliable guestimates at horsepower, It'll peak at 27#/min through the maf on an obdii logger at 14psi.

I really wish I didn't have other toys to spend money on so I could do some fuel mods and turn it up to 20 :(

azonic said:
Thought I'd toss in my results with the FPT28. With a stock longblock, 17psi actuator, 3" exh, dsmlink, fmic, 550's, injen intake and some random suspension mods... I've gone 12.43@ 110 awd. I'm picking up some 272 intake and exhaust cams so hopfully get some good gains there. The 12.43 was in about 40 some degree temp with 114+ octane gas. I've never had the car on a dyno or wideband so I really dont know how I'm doing for power or if I'm really maxing it out.

I've also gone 13.0 @ 100 on 92 octane/pump gas. My goal is to hit a 11.xx with the turbo, but who knows if that will happen. A local shop is supposedly getting a awd dyno so I will more than likely go try that out somtime this summer.

I was also having problems on mine running anything over 21psi. Over that and it would drop to around 10-13 then start comming back up. I never really figured out what was going on just back the boost down a bit and let it go. I also got in 17 runs that day from 10am to 2:40pm

here is an idea of my slip:
60' 1.76
1/8 7.958
mph 86.93
1/4 12.431
mph 110.71
Those are some very nice times bro. Your trap speed is awesome!

Were you running exactly 21 psi on all your runs? Also... do you know right off hand what
kind of air-flow #'s you are showing, and lastly are you at sea level?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious because I trapped at 87mph in the 1/8 as well on by FP Big28. Thanks!

a351must2 said:
For spool time on the big T28, I run one on my daily driven A-B Eclipse with Automatic and only have it set at 14psi. It'll reach 14psi at 2500rpm which is more than fast enough for me and the slow shifting/unpredictable automatic. As a comparison, the original T25 would hit 14psi in the same conditions at around 2200rpm. and for unreliable guestimates at horsepower, It'll peak at 27#/min through the maf on an obdii logger at 14psi.

I really wish I didn't have other toys to spend money on so I could do some fuel mods and turn it up to 20 :(

Interesting.. I'm just guessing here, but do automatics spool turbos faster due to taller gears/more load?

Every auto 2g guy I've met says he spooling full boost by around 2000rpm on the t25.

Generation X said:
Those are some very nice times bro. Your trap speed is awesome!
Were you running exactly 21 psi on all your runs? Also... do you know right off hand what
kind of air-flow #'s you are showing, and lastly are you at sea level?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious because I trapped at 87mph in the 1/8 as well on by FP Big28. Thanks!

I was running at www.brainerdinternationalraceway.com in MN. So a bit above sea level but not too much. I would guess your times would be very similar to mine, might lose a bit on the top due to the auto but, hard to say. I'm hoping the new cams and some light weight wheels will put it into the 11's with some killer driving and more tuning. Here are the numbers I have off of dsmlink.

all at 6029rpm in 3rd gear 6793rpm 3rd gear
air flow: 250.9g/s max: 257.7g/s
gm3bar: 20.1psi
injduty: 81.5% (RC550)
cooltemp: 210F
timing: 17.0
knock: 0.00
O2: .96V
Inttemp: 53F
AirflwoLb: 33.2Lb/min max: 34.1Lb/min

azonic said:
I was running at www.brainerdinternationalraceway.com in MN. So a bit above sea level but not too much. I would guess your times would be very similar to mine, might lose a bit on the top due to the auto but, hard to say. I'm hoping the new cams and some light weight wheels will put it into the 11's with some killer driving and more tuning. Here are the numbers I have off of dsmlink.

all at 6029rpm in 3rd gear 6793rpm 3rd gear
air flow: 250.9g/s max: 257.7g/s
gm3bar: 20.1psi
injduty: 81.5% (RC550)
cooltemp: 210F
timing: 17.0
knock: 0.00
O2: .96V
Inttemp: 53F
AirflwoLb: 33.2Lb/min max: 34.1Lb/min
Cool... I appreciate it bro! :thumb:

pboglio said:

This is an old thread, but I have to ask. Wouldn't an exhaust manifold mounted external 38mm Tail Wastegate take care of this problem and hold 25 psi all the way to 7000 RPM? :confused:

I'm so happy and a little relieved to find that yall have kept this thread going so nicely. I have my FP Big28 sitting in my room waiting for my spring break week off for installation next week onto my 2G TSi AWD, and lately I've been hearing so much from people telling me I should have gone with something bigger. My 28 isn't going to be a temporary instal, this is my upgraded turbo. This is the one I'm sticking with. In the next few months I'll be getting some 550cc and most like the AFC2 and also the Dejon front mount intercooler which retains the stock long-routed piping, but oh well.
It was so nice though to see the kind of numbers yall have been putting down with it. This is my daily driver and since I got my car I've only wanted to hit about the 300 whp line, and I'm thinkin that I'll be able to do it just fine after I get some more tuning experience.
Thanks for keeping the thread going so long!! Keep it up!! T28s needed some recognition!!

Ben :talon:

I wasn't too sure about my FP Big T28 until my dyno. Check out my profile. The numbers are real good for the psi and mods, I think.

WOW!

290 isnt bad on a super side mount at 18.
Imagine what a front mount at 22 would give you.
Thats the route im going so ill report back later about it.

RedRex02 said:
I wasn't too sure about my FP Big T28 until my dyno. Check out my profile. The numbers are real good for the psi and mods, I think.
Those are some awesome #'s bro, if you were just running 18 psi on a big sidemount. :thumb:

I'm running 20psi on mine with HKS 264/272 cams and a 75 wet shot, although my boost hits about 22psi while I'm spraying, but the thing runs like a bat outta hell. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back