The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Big fuel pump set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jed344

Supporting VIP
Jan 10, 2008
Waterville, Iowa
Trying to think of the easiest way to fully feed some 2150cc injectors on e85/e98. No plans of mechanical pump. My only ideas where to sump the factory tank and run a magnafuel 750 (4303) pump, OR run a 525 in tank feeding a surge tank with twin 525s. Does anyone else have any ideas. There is not any intake pump options that will supply 2150s to fullest that I am aware.

A surge tank with twin 525s is overkill, and it definitely doesn't need a 525 in the tank with a surge setup.
I was going to use RTM Racing's surge tank kit with their twin AEM 50-1005 setup since it's relatively inexpensive compared to Radium's stuff. Each pump flows around 293 lph at 85psi on E85, which is good for 587hp each according to RealStreet's test. The 2150s should meet 80% DC before 1000 hp, so it's enough pump. I'd definitely want an 8AN feed and return, and maybe stage the pumps.

Keep in mind that 2150's are allergic to ethanol based fuels, you would need to pickle them or rinse them out after running ethanol in them if the car sits for more than a few days.

Pump seems quite big really. How much HP you trying to go for as if its under 700hp mark you wont need anything like a 750! Ideally if you run a swirl pot then a low volume low pressure pickup pump from tank will be fine then a high pressure high flow pump to the rail will be fine. I run 2 IL 350's on my car now. To to the swirl pot and from pot to rail, its overkill to the pot but it was on offer and cheaper st the time thrn the 250 was so why not, it can over flow back to the tank anyway! This single pump at the rail can support alot more then im going for so its ideal. You could get away with dual inlines and a single pickup pump perhaps or once calculated the HP work around that to run 1 feed pump to the rail instead

I ran 52psi boost using e85 with 2150s, a walbro 450 with the relief valve punched in, a boost-a-pump, and bolt-on AFPR. That's IT. Stock rail, stock lines, stock tank, stock hanger, stock filter. It's pretty amazing that for only a few hundred bucks you can move enough corn to make that power. Factor in the injectors and afpr, the complete fuel system is about 1000 bucks. Incredible, really. Only thing I'd do differently if I had to do it now is get a 525 pump as it obviously flows more and the price difference is negligible. Braided lines, swirl tanks, multiple pumps, external pumps, etc etc just simply aren't needed.

Keep in mind that 2150's are allergic to ethanol based fuels, you would need to pickle them or rinse them out after running ethanol in them if the car sits for more than a few days.
Is it really that often? I’ll be running 2150’s on my new setup with e85 and that sounds like a PITA. Maybe I’ll get some id2600’s LOL

I think everyone's going to have a different experience with that and comes down to the quality of e85 you get. My 2150s went years and years and years without an issue. I never cleaned them and they only saw e85 from the same station, same pump. I would park the car outside year round and each spring I would go out, crank the car after sitting 4 months, and it would fire up and just work. On the flipside I have another car with old school 660's on e85 that I put fuel in from a different gas station and all 4 locked up after sitting for 4 weeks.

Is it really that often? I’ll be running 2150’s on my new setup with e85 and that sounds like a PITA. Maybe I’ll get some id2600’s LOL
People have different experiences. I let my 2150s sit for weeks/months with no issues. My personal aside on fuel pumps is get a 525 and be done with it. If you're needing more than a 525 then you're in the wrong platform. These cars should not be making that much power. Anyways.

I agree man! Unfortunately I’m already committed to my double pumper, but I kept my stock hanger in the event I ever want to go back to a single. I read on an older thread about a guy also having success with the 2150’s by pickling them every few months with a half tank of 91 with a flex fuel sensor, I like that idea rather than having a dual map, I know first hand even a 50% blend of ethanol is still highly resistant to knock

My only argument against a 525 is fuel starvation in corners, which is why I'm going with a surge tank. Anyone who doesn't have to worry about g-related starvation is just fine on the in-tank 525 otherwise, it supports a crapload of power.

Sorry been busy. I built the motor and picked the parts. The car is a 10:1 built motor with all the porting and goodies to flow with a 6466 in a housing that can flow its potential. A 525 single pump will not have enough flow in my experience. I run one currently on my car. This car will likely be on as i said e85 or maybe e98 so alot of pump is needed. We want to max out the 6466. For the 2150cc comment i have been using the same ones for 3 years now. They stay installed in the car that only sees 85 all summer. Every winter i pull them and send them to fic for cleaning and flow testing and every year so far they have came back perfect. The fuel is puchased from my local co-op that is very strict with it. I have never seen it test under 85% and sometimes as high as 90%. I am lucky that almost everyone who drag races and dirt track races here runs e85 so this place knows its going to racers and they keep tight control on it. The plan as of now was sump the stock tank, -10 or -12 to the magnafuel 750, then -8 to the rail with -6 return.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back