The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

big decision : 18g or FPbig28

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsugst95

Probationary Member
May 15, 2002
MN
My T25 is shot and leaving mushroom clouds behind me. I know its close to the shootout and need to do something fast. I can get a 18g with the 2g install kit for less then $900. But I also here alot of good things about the FPbig28. There isnt alot of info out there about the 18g but from what i read its mixed reviews. Im aiming for low 12s on FWD but I am kinda tight on cash so which would be better especially with my current mods of :

2.5 " catback--Injen intake-- mbc-- 1g bov with brode pipe -- greddy lic pipe-- rewired fp-- 1g throttle body

low 12s on FWD is more like Green territory.. i dont see the Big28 or 18g getting you there.. a 20g is more feasable.. low 13s is Big28 area unless you have a full out race car with slicks..

dude.. I say do it.. I really really wish more FWD guys with the Big28 would get to the track.. according to DSMtalk I still have the 2nd fastest FWD time with this turbo and only Tex or whatever his name is that works at FP is faster.. I know with this turbo I can hit 12s once I get my car back.. but I want more.. I really want something that the turbo wont be holding me back..

and DSMfreak.. porting means opening up the outlet side of the turbo to flow more air.. and clipped means clipping the fins of the turbo blade which increases top end power but takes the turbo longer to spool up

Well, I am still waiting on my dang O2 dump tube and waiting on gaskets to put on my 1G Tb, then I will go to the track. Hopefully, this will be in the next 2 weeks or so. I keep ya posted
If you was AWD, then I would say that you could get easily achieve low 12's on this turbo no problem at all. Your going to have a hard time getting 12 anything on any front wheel drive car unless you buy a lsd and some nitto's

see i disagree.. I mean people can call me a doubter if they want but I really dont have faith in he Big28 anymore.. look at the times posted

SlowDSM_(awd)__11.8@119__21.3psi/117octane/no cat/HKS264 CAMS_1g intake/TB_greddy LG fmic

togi_(95awdAT)[email protected]__20psi_104octane_no cat_dsmlink_crank pulley_translab shift kit

Tex_(awd)__12.95@110__?psi/?octane/no cat/HKS CAMS

Tex_(fwd)__13.06@115__?psi/?octane/no cat/HKS CAMS

Kevdawg_(awd)__13.1@104__19psi/pump gas/no cat

TuRBO CHaRgED_(awd)__13.2@103__1.2-1.4bar/Pump gas/no cat

ProjectGSX_(awd)__13.4@102__21.3psi/Pump gas/gutted cat/WEB CAMS

Larryd/Big28GST_(fwd)__13.7@109__22psi/116octane/no cat

dsmtrick_(99awd)[email protected]__15psi_pumpgas_?cat_greddyFMIC

Gixxed_spyder_(fwd)__13.9@107__?psi/pump gas/ high flow cat

V8Smoker_(97fwd)__13.9@105__19psi_pump gas_no cat_1g intake/TB_stock IC

Boosted97GS-T_(fwd)__14.98@94__13psi?/pump gas/stock exhaust_?cat

all these times and only 2 in the 12s.. both are heavily modded AWDs and they are in the high 12s.. i dont think this turbo has the steam to do it..

If I get a Big28 I'll be the fastest with it, FWD wise. I'm not stopping until I hit 12's with which ever turbo I get. But as it stands right now it's between the Big28 and the Hahn S16G.

I think you got me wrong, I didn't mean that you can't get the Big28 into the 12's on a FWD car, I'm just saying FWD anything no matter what the turbo isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is. You will have that power from a roll though :> I mean how often are you actually at a track..in my opinion, its the street that counts anyhow...its just nice to have a slip to back it up.

See my car is my daily driver, but when the track is open I'm there every week, racing or not. I don't street race, so track racing is what I do. :D But you are right it's always good to have that power from a roll and on the street.

i actually race at the track more then i do on the street..im trying to stop racing on the street.. gets me into to much trouble..

"Give me by the end of race season and you'll see."

dems be fightin words ;).. no seriously though best of luck to ya bro.. Ive been watching that list on DSMtalk every day since they made it and waiting for some FWD guys to break my time to give me incentive or something to shoot at.. ofcourse my 13.7 was before I jsut did ALOT of work and before the car was tuned.. when I get it back it should def be a beast

i'll hit the track next weekend with mine, of course i'll be on stock injectors but we'll see what it does.

Between the 18G and Big 28, for a FWD, I would say go with the 18G. My personal preference in the 18G is the more linear power delivery which will help with wheel spin.

Also, regarding the Big 28 track times, notice that the sub 13 second runs are all on race gas where the 13 second and slower runs are all on pump gas. Take the mid/low 13 second runs and add race gas, and they will most likely be in the 12s as well.

The 18g and the FPbig28 will max out around 340whp. Get a turbo that
can give you @ least 470whp. You are going to beat the **** out of your car trying to get it to run 12's with either of the smaller turbos. Your car being a front wheel drive has to make more HP to get the lower times.

Brad at Extreme Motorsports is running 11.5's with the ETE52 on a FWD.
For your setup I would use the smaller ETE32 and mod out your car.
If you choose the smaller turbo you will have to fully mod the car anyway. You will then be pissed off that you have not reached your goal spent alot of money and then to get there change everything all over
again.

I mentioned the turbos that I produce, but there are many others out
there (several listed in the parts guide here). Basically, go bigger
or lower your goals.

Pete

I am taking your lines? What about asking about fuel management for the ETE32. I told you that the DSMlink is being preprogrammed with the 650's for the ETE32. I also said you would need the Walboro 255 and a FPR. I did mention the spoolin up FPR, but have since found a better one.

Oh, and BTW if you look I posted this before our phone conversation.
You just happened to call after I was trying to help someone else with
the same T2small28 problem (2small for 11's). Not a bad turbo just
not a large enough turbo for his and your applications, but they are easy to install.

Pete

nuh uh.. you talked me on 7-1 @ approx 3am my time.. you posted this on 7-1 at 11am.. so it just shows im rubbing off on ya :)

oh and if you notice I started this post long before we talked.. I just wanted to ask around outta curiosity before I bothered u..

It was three my time when I hung up with you I walked out the door.
If you are bored call I got a question.

I had it first...

No.. I did..

No you didn't..

Yes I did...

Children.. Children..

Can't we all just get along??

(corrected my spelling errors)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back