The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Big brake kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmw335ikt

Proven Member
Sep 23, 2015
Crown Point, Indiana
Hello I'm looking at getting a big brake kit for my 2g awd

Here are some options
The ctsv kit
http://strictlyperformance.parts/shop/all/strictly-dsm-cts-v-big-brake-kit

Baer kit
https://www.maperformance.com/colle.../products/baer-claw-track-brake-system-2g-dsm

Wilwood dynapro kit
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=26790&cat=1371&page=1

I want a kit that is a straight bolt on that doesn't need any modifications
Also if you recommend any other kit I would like to stay at 1000-1500

Thanks

I have the TCE Plus 3 kit. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/eclipse-2g/kits-50/

6 piston caliper which is lighter than stock with a 13inch rotor a half pound heavier than stock. I get a lot of compliments from my buddies on brake feel and overall stopping power. No problems during autocross or high speed highway braking. Although I would change the pads for track days.

I would not waste money on a heavier brake setup unless endurance racing.

Have you considered evo brakes? There are adapter plates available or buy jdm galant knuckles. I see an advantage as the rotor and pads you have lots of plentiful options.

I have the TCE Plus 3 kit. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/eclipse-2g/kits-50/

6 piston caliper which is lighter than stock with a 13inch rotor a half pound heavier than stock. I get a lot of compliments from my buddies on brake feel and overall stopping power. No problems during autocross or high speed highway braking. Although I would change the pads for track days.

Hey did you have to do any modifications such as grinding etc. or was a straight bolt on kit.

Thanks

Hey did you have to do any modifications such as grinding etc. or was a straight bolt on kit.

Thanks

The kit comes direct bolt-on with lines, brackets, everything. Only thing you have to do, same with all BBK's, is remove or modify the dust shield. I have mine removed.

TCE nor wilwood is going anywhere so brake pad options are endless. Replacement rotor rings are cheaper than any evo or bear rotor of equal weight by a long shot. (a few pounds per rotor) Lightweight two piece rotors to fit onto evo, ctsv, and bear calipers are dumb expensive.

I'm running a TCE kit as well (6 piston w/13" rotors). My advise would be to contact Todd from TCE & get his recommendation depending on your intended use. He's very knowledgeable & will set you up properly.

I would advice against the cts-v kit for three particular reasons...
1. The price of $850 is with crappy Posi-poop brake pads and cheap rotors while you can do that kit DIY for less than $650 with Centric high carbon rotors and Carbotec pads. Why put crap brake pads on a performance oriented brake kit? If going for it, at least upgrade the pads to something descent.
2. I has a spacer for the rotor that moves your wheel offset by 5mm outboard. If you run a wide wheel (lets say a 17x9 35mm offset or a 17x8.5 30mm) it will push it past the fenders.
3. That same spacer doesn't permit the wheel to be hubcentric since it eats practically all the thickness of the hub bore lip. I am not fond of having bolt-centric wheels and putting the complete load on the studs. That's even more of a no-no if you track your car.

Will Cadillac 6piston calipers work with 18" wheels? my buddy has a bunch of cadillac limo parts cars. i know the breaking system is much beefier for those passenger vehicles...would the mods be the same as the CTSV kit?

Will Cadillac 6piston calipers work with 18" wheels? my buddy has a bunch of cadillac limo parts cars. i know the breaking system is much beefier for those passenger vehicles...would the mods be the same as the CTSV kit?

Probably not, it's a completely different platform than the 04-07 CTS-V. The only way to know if it works is for somebody to man up and do it. Not everybody is willing to try something like that. I personally don't like 18"s in DSM's so the 13" rotor is as large as I am willing to go.

My plan is on using Evo twin piston calipers out back. They're more than enough in my buddy's track car and most Evo race cars where I live so they should be fine.

There's a fine line when balancing brakes and bias. Too big out back and you will never get the proper lock threshold. You never want rears locking on you first, it calls for a very dangerous and sketchy situation on the brake zone.

Last edited:
The evos all around are good and pad choice is critical for road race, when i was on carboyech xp10 and xp8 i noticed the car needed way more rear brakes or just more rear bias, without swapping pads its down to being able to control the front and rear bias, or like im thinking maybe just get 4 pots on the rear aswell for slightly more pad surface area to grab but thats a last resort really, im sorting out dual mastwrs to do the bias part and see how that feels first before i go any further,

But the evos all around is a good upgrade for us and the weight of our cars uses them well, get the right rotors and pads and you will be happy with the results

Has anyone ever upgraded to EVO or CTSV BBK and then went and did a BBE (Brake Booster eliminator) ABS delete kit?

I'm considering Whalen speeds BBE kit with ABS delete. They make a really nice one, that tucks everything and I was wondering how this would jeal with the CTSV setup?

http://whalenspeed.com/products/brake-booster-abs-complete-delete-kit

Has anyone ever upgraded to EVO or CTSV BBK and then went and did a BBE (Brake Booster eliminator) ABS delete kit?

I'm considering Whalen speeds BBE kit with ABS delete. They make a really nice one, that tucks everything and I was wondering how this would jeal with the CTSV setup?

http://whalenspeed.com/products/brake-booster-abs-complete-delete-kit
Im ditching the booster soon, ive got dual masters to use and i wont be needing my booster but i think maybe 2 have done this that i know of on here and its alot different without it but we all will relearn LOL

Is the weight difference between the 2g rotors (12.99 lbs) and the Cobra 20 lbs rotor an issue? I am try to get a 2-piece rotor but they are expensive. Did anybody notice the "sluggishness" or loss of performance due to the additional rotational mass after adding the Cobra rotors?

Not really, but I had already compensated that weight difference with a lighter wheel/tire package vs OEM. It's unfortunately the price of making cars stop in a shorter distance. You will have to add some weight into the brake package with the positive of added peace of mind.

Here's my original setup vs my current setup for comparison:

Stock Setup (per corner):
Rotors: OEM GSX (276mm) = 13.15lbs
Calipers: GSX = 14.2lbs
Wheels: Stock GST 16" =22lbs
Tires: Hankook 205/55r16 = 22.2lbs
Total Weight = 71.55lbs per corner

Brembo Upgrade (per corner):
Rotors: Cobra 13" = 19.1lbs
Calipers: CTS-V 4 piston = 8.4lbs
Wheels: Kosei K6r 17x9 = 18.5lbs
Tires: Khumo XS 235/40r17 = 23.4lbs
Total Weight = 69.4lbs per corner

Ohh yeah... What a dog! ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back