The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Big block switch to DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspert_ghost

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2012
Cadillac, Michigan
Hello everyone, My name is Casper (don't laugh my parents were hippies).
I have been a gear head for most of my life. I have always considered myself a Dodge man, falling in love with Mopar from my uncles who loved racing their big block Road Runners and Super B's.
I previously owned a 71 Cuda with a big block Hemi with dual quads; sold it for dire need of cash a few years back, and currently own a Dodge Ram 1500 4X4.
I have been researching, googling, reading what others have posted about modding newer cars, most of the posts turned out to be specifically about imports.
I never thought myself to even be contemplating an import being a die hard made in America Mopar freak until I came across some interesting and entertaining information that all but gave me a woody.
The Mitsubishi!!! made in Indiana and from further reading from 95-99 it sported a Chrysler engine the 420a...damn I got goos bumps and decided right then and there I was going to get one.
I shopped around and found a few nice cars but the price tag was just a bit out of my reach. After talking to a few friends they told me about craigslist, so I thought what the hell and did some research and found that there are a few in my area with nice price tags and even willing to do haggling and trades.
I emailed a few of them and got a reply, which brings me here to DSMtuners.
The reply:
I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS N/T I am looking for $2000, willing to trade respond with what you have.....

Do you think trading my 1500 4x4 with 79k miles for a 99 Eclipse (420a) with 200k miles to mod and rebuild is a bad idea?
The blue book on a good condition Eclipse is 3k (this is all stock)
however the car needs ball joints and has a tapping noise on one of the lifters.
The blue book on my 4x4 in good condition is 5k
well maintained 4x4 no mechanical problems other than no A/C (pump is seized).

I understand you're a mopar guy but the dsm tuning world is not about the 420a!!!

I understand you're a mopar guy but the dsm tuning world is not about the 420a!!!

Diamond Star Motors; 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipses;
420a or the 4g63 both made by Chrysler
Am I missing something about this site, if I am Ill be happy to bow out and get my answers else where.

I have old muscle cars too, hence the name. What he means is the turbo 4g63 is the 426 or 440 hp, the 420 is the 318 2 barrel in a Newport LOL.

ha ha interesting way of putting it. Mine is the 360 Magnum.
I actually looked for an AWD Turbo 4g63, there are non in this area at this time (at least not that I have found yet)
There are several with the 420a and I did a little research on it and found it would make for a decent project, fun to build, and something new that not every other car enthusiast is going to have.
Im too old to run 10's any more in a big block 440 LOL, looking for something to have fun in, decent gas mileage (prices are at $3.89 again here)
My original question was an opinion based one where as would I be short selling myself in this trade. Should I hold out for a better deal? etc etc...

Diamond Star Motors; 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipses;
Am I missing something about this site, if I am Ill be happy to bow out and get my answers else where.

You're at the correct site. He meant that all the hype is not about the 420a Chrysler engine in the DSM world. It is the 4G63 motor which gives them the name. (no offense to the 420a N/T guys)

I am not a muscle car guy per se, but I am a car guy/gear head and have been wrenching for about 20 years. I was looking at buying a 69 Camaro SS 396 before I bought my DSM 5 years ago. Long story short, I own a 500AWHP turbo DSM and would do it all over again if I had to make the decision twice. Probably would have held out for a lower mileage body. Mine had 200k when I bought it. There are 1Gs with less than 100k still floating around. I found one for a friend about 2 years ago, and there is another one in my city being built near where I work right now.

It really depends on your goal. Do you want a turn-key, unmolested car you can mod as you go? Would you rather build a project car on the side and take your time? Do you want to build a forged motor? Would you rather just go with bolt-ons and leave the motor?

Many people will have just as many different opinions about what to do. I am partial to 1G turbo AWD DSMs, since that's what I have known for 5 years. I have done ground up rebuilds on 2 AWDs and 1 FWD, both 1G, both turbo. Here is my opinion...

If you go from a Hemi Cuda to an N/T 420a, you're not gonna be happy!!! Don't trade your truck for an N/T DSM! Don't trade your DD for a project DSM! You will be sorry :ohdamn: I have always had a reliable DD while building my DSMs over the years. It made the process much more enjoyable. Drive as far as you think it is worth to find the right car, and trailer it back!

My advice would be to find a 90-92 6bolt/4 bolt with a blown HG or broken timing belt in good cosmetic condition for under $1000. If you are going to do a full rebuild then it won't really matter since you will be tearing it apart anyway. Eclipse GSX or Talon TSI AWD.

You can find a running low mileage car as well and pay a bit more. The stock motor/tranny is good for around 500WHP if it was well maintained and its healthy. You won't have to tear into anything major and can add bolt-ons.

If you like the 2G body style (95-99) the price is going to be a good bit higher for a nice GSX or TSI AWD.

You really can't beat 1.5-1.6 sec 60ft and >3 sec 0-60 mph acceleration times at the track on street tires :DGO WITH THE AWD DSM AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

Well my first race motor in my boat was a 1957 DeSoto 341, chet herbert roller cams, and 6 stromberg carburators, then the 392, then the 426, never like the wedge motors except the 318 as a street motor and now have a 92 dakota with a 318 magnun.

All this info to make comparation between the wedge motos and the hemis of those years.

4g63 is the hemi and the 420a is maybe a 360 not even a 383 which I also had but one is performance the other is old reliable.

DO NOT TRADE YOUR TRUCK FOR A 42O!!! AT LEAST trade it for a running AWD eclipse, You will thank yourslef for holding out to get one. I own a 66 impala ss with a 383 stroker motor , so i know and love classics also but don't sell yourslef short man. I owned a 95 GS before i owned my spyder and i wil take a 4g63 any day.

454 vette owner checking in also. If you want to make power and have it be fairly inexpensive do not go with the n/t engine. Almost all the parts for this platform that are designed to make go fast cars are focused around the turbo 4g63 motor. And even then more specifically the awd model

It really depends on your goal. Do you want a turn-key, unmolested car you can mod as you go? Would you rather build a project car on the side and take your time? Do you want to build a forged motor? Would you rather just go with bolt-ons and leave the motor?

I truly believe it would be more fun to get an unmolested car I can wrench, this way I know exactly whats inside it.
I agree and I believe I will "take my time" so I will just pay cash for one as soon as I can find one.
I have read different stories about bolt-ons. some say their good to go others say they break a lot. I will go with a full rebuild 1 for the fun, 2 for the knowledge, and 3 building from the ground up has the best chance of survival IMO.
thanks to all of you for the posts and replies, looks like I will be sticking around. With winter around the corner I will most likely buy the shell and garage it til Spring and begin my journal. Look forward to announcing what I get.
Again thank you all.

Oh and PS. Ill most likley go with a 2G or 3G for the newer body style.

Not sure why nobody corrected this, but the 4g63 isn't a Chrysler engine. It's 100% pure Mitsubishi, just dropped into the car by Chrysler (so to speak). And as an FYI, the 3g doesn't come with a 4g63, a turbo, or AWD. It's considered the red headed step child of the Eclipse and isn't referred to as a DSM. It only comes with a 2.4 SOHC I4 or 3.0 SOHC V6 (both Mitsu engines), both of which are N/T and FWD. No fun at all.

I say stick with the 2g turbo AWD train of thought. You can't go wrong with the 4g63.

Welcome to tuners!

Last edited by a moderator:
The best you want to look for is 98-99 model. The,blocks have a better thrust bearing style making them more reliable for higher power. If you can find an awd talon that year that you can afford get it!

Growing up I was,a muscle mopar kid.always wanting to have a 440 car. But ending up in the,dsm world has me, extremely satisfied and glad I didn't get into the,v8 game. I have an amc 401 powered jeep truck. maybe one,day ill drop it into a coronet or something but,dsm comes,first.,,

Welcome to the game and don't go with a n/t car LOL.:thumbup:

Stock 3G motors are junky, but people have been able to find swap solutions to these run of the mill motors.

6G72 motor can be replaced with a 6G74 Diamante VR4 motor or a 9G Galant 6G75 motor with out any issues. I guess if you really had a large wallet, one could swap in a 6G72 TT, but its not really practical.

4G64 motor can be replaced with a 4G64 with Kia DOHC head, 4G63T motor out of a 1g/2g/evo and all 4G64 blocks can be boosted with all turbo 4G63 parts.

At the end of the day tho, your left with a heavier FWD car unless you want to spend money for a 2g rear and misc. evo parts to do an AWD conversion.

Hello again, and thanks again for all of the welcomes and great advice.
I am not new to wrench turning but I am new to this style of tuning.

I have narrowed it all down.
1995 to 1999 Mitubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (2G)
1990 to 1994 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (1G)
1995 to 1999 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (2G)
1992 to 1994 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

Any one of these should make for a fun project. I look forward to your responses and debates to the best choice (provided of course I can find one for sale)

Last edited:
That is a MUCH BETTER LIST MAN!! $4G63 & AWD is the only way to go. Keep us posted on which of the one's on the list you choose.

More room to work with and less weight on the 1G's.

Stouter stock blocks from 89-92.5 as well, 6-Bolt crank. MT's come with the better of the 3 stock turbos, the TD05H-14B.

If you can find a 92 Laser or Talon AWD 5MT and its not beat to sh*t.. jump on it.

I may be in luck.
"1992 Eagle Talon TSI-AWD, 5spd Turbo. Needs rebuilt and put back together. $500 firm."

Going to get some photos today to share and get thoughts on it.

img removed, new plan...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back