The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

better 60' times

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBBOSVR4

Probationary Member
Oct 18, 2003
IllinoisUS
I just went to the track with my galant vr4 for the first time after we rebuilt the motor. I am running a pt32 55E turbo with a built bottom end and all the supporting modifications. My 60' times were horrible, 2.4 was the best i could do. I guess i need more practice launching with a 2600lb act. The best time I ran was a 13.8 @ 105. what advice do you guys have that could get my 60' times lower.

id like to get in on this too.

i cant stop spinng my tires every time i have been to the track this month i have done 1.9 60fts and that horrible. i launch at 4k and i spin thru 2nd. some of it could be a combo of the track fawkers allways wet it down too much.

First, you need a set of decent tires (no walmart specials). Secondly if you do have decent tires (even if you dont have decent tires this will help) , try lowering the tire pressure, the tires will bite a little more off the launch. Thirdly, if you have larger wheels (17", or 18" inch) there isnt very much sidewall on the tire to give, so you will probably spin the hell out of them. Those are just a couple variables out of many you need to consider.

When running the ACT 2600 remeber it can take alot of abuse....probably more than the rest of your drivetrain will. You need to find a point where the lauch feels good, and not going overboard. I usually launch at around 5500-6250, the 2600 grabs and goes, just get use to the clutch release. Lauch your car every once in a while, make sure conditions are safe. You'll start feeling where you need to be. In my mind making an awd car launch well is simple in comparision to making a FWD launch well.

each car has its own way as to being launched. I don't mean to insult you or anything, but 2.4 in an AWD car are horrible. What RPMs are you launching at. Like I said all cars are different. I personally am still feeling out my car after a few mods. Before with my stock DP when I had tons more torque and crappy tires I would launch at 6500rpm dropping the clutch. Bad on the drive train, but good enough for 1.655 60'. Since then I've added grippy dunlops, O2 housing, DP, and s-afc, and I've pulled 1.67 slightly slipping my clutch. These tires grip a lot better so if i drop the clutch i get real bad axle hop.

With our cars and the little sidewalls the tires have on them, letting air out of the tires does very little if any good. Unless you are running some kind of slick, dont bother letting air out.

i think i have noticed the same. on my 18s it dosnt matter how low i put my tire pressure its the same 60ft time but the lower i have my pressure the slower my topend is. i think i will stop lowering the tire pressure and get some drag wheels

In the gvr4 you have a taller 1st gear than 1g dsms. So you might have to launch at a higher rpm to keep the car motivated during the slip of the clutch. I also found shifting just at the 60' foot mark helps your 330'ft time alot. I also use the 330' time to show how fast my 1-2 shift is.
I belive the way to get the best short times is to view the launch and the 1-2 shift as one motion. Alot of people focus too much on the launch itself, when it's time to shift they are not ready for it.

icedearth15 said:
First, you need a set of decent tires (no walmart specials). Secondly if you do have decent tires (even if you dont have decent tires this will help) , try lowering the tire pressure, the tires will bite a little more off the launch. Thirdly, if you have larger wheels (17", or 18" inch) there isnt very much sidewall on the tire to give, so you will probably spin the hell out of them. Those are just a couple variables out of many you need to consider.

When running the ACT 2600 remeber it can take alot of abuse....probably more than the rest of your drivetrain will. You need to find a point where the lauch feels good, and not going overboard. I usually launch at around 5500-6250, the 2600 grabs and goes, just get use to the clutch release. Lauch your car every once in a while, make sure conditions are safe. You'll start feeling where you need to be. In my mind making an awd car launch well is simple in comparision to making a FWD launch well.

I got 4 shitty tires, and stock suspension, i launch 1.7 60' times in my 91 awd, i'm running 20 psi, all i do is lower the tire pressure to 20psi in the back, and 23psi in the front, when i stage i rev my engine around 6000, then sidestep the clutch, my best 60' foot is 1.712. Remember sidestepping is very hard on parts, so don't be surprised if you snap an axle, haven't done it yet but anythin better then 1.7 and somethings gonna let go! :dsm: :thumb:

1.92 60 ft time in my gst today.

not trying to call BS on you, but how did you manage that?

I belive the way to get the best short times is to view the launch and the 1-2 shift as one motion. Alot of people focus too much on the launch itself, when it's time to shift they are not ready for it.

Yeah, it's all one motion. You must envision your car as an extension of your body and mind....*puts down the book on Zen meditation*....um, nevermind OMG

good advice though.

You must envision your car as an extension of your body and mind....*puts down the book on Zen meditation*....um, nevermind

Thats about it in a nutshell. :thumb: I haven't looked looked at my tach in first gear in awhile. My best 330' is a 4.896 with a 1.657 60'.

talonstylz said:
I got 4 shitty tires, and stock suspension, i launch 1.7 60' times in my 91 awd, i'm running 20 psi, all i do is lower the tire pressure to 20psi in the back, and 23psi in the front, when i stage i rev my engine around 6000, then sidestep the clutch, my best 60' foot is 1.712. Remember sidestepping is very hard on parts, so don't be surprised if you snap an axle, haven't done it yet but anythin better then 1.7 and somethings gonna let go! :dsm: :thumb:
Could you explain sidestep? I've heard the term sidestep and two step the clutch...was always too embarassed to ask. OMG

I launch my car at the 5,500rpm stutterbox setting. Quick slip and I get 1.7's. My best 60' to date is a 1.72 although I feel with a 6krpm launch, I can launch it better than that. I still have the stock 3-bolt rear. :thumb:

I took my gsx to the track about a month and a half after i got it...it was also my first time ever at the track....best 60' was 1.9 on my clutch which is suppose a act 2100....thats what the guy i bought it from said it had....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back