The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Best Way To Seal Spare Tire Delete Panel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
As the title says.

I have the factory spare section fully cut out and the Archer Fabrications delete panel bolted in. I'm looking for the best way to seal it up, for keeping moisture out and eliminating the vibration while driving. I thought something like Windo-Seal might work because it sticks to damn near anything and stays slightly soft. But that's definitely not what it's designed for. I saw body sealer as the best option but was curious what everyone else is using. Surely everyone isn't just bolting it down and dealing with that vibration and airflow all the time.

I would also undercoat it on the outside, but IDK if YOU like that stuff. I use it in the inner fenders of my new trailer to keep junk and moisture out as much as possible. It takes a while to dry is one drawback.

Tiger seal. Poly sealer. Heck even window silicone will do. Anything thats water tight will be great

I would also undercoat it on the outside, but IDK if YOU like that stuff. I use it in the inner fenders of my new trailer to keep junk and moisture out as much as possible. It takes a while to dry is one drawback.
The panel itself is aluminum, so I don't really think it would need any. I did use some after primer where I cut the old panels out though to prevent rust from forming.

The panel itself is aluminum, so I don't really think it would need any. I did use some after primer where I cut the old panels out though to prevent rust from forming.
just remember raw alloy corrodes and goes white / oxidization! at least a clear covering will help avoid this. i painted mine black as its going to get stones and weather on it and mines even had a small bit of surface corrosion but thats mainly where i missed prepping it properly at the time,

its not NEEDED but its going to help long term keep it fresh for you under there for sure

Off the shelf from Advance Auto. Removed the panel and used some in all places where the aluminum touches factory sheet metal, then bolted it back down and chased the edges with it. Not the most eye appealing thing ever being a light color but that won't matter once I lay down some Dynamat (or something of the sort for noise reduction).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Should of used black. But its paintable at least so paint it black and will look alot better before any covering.

I wanted to use black but couldn't find any locally. No doubt I could have found some online but I'm on a time crunch to have the car race ready in just a few days.
Right thats understandable and you dont wish to go everywhere trying to find one in stock as could take hours to find. Least its in and sealed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back