The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Best way to install/insert 5th gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carney714

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Santa Ana, California
Alright, got the stock gears in, They were a PITA to get off. I know some are easy to remove and some are difficult! I have the difficult one.

Anyways, i had a little trouble inserting the 5th gear. Pushed it in and used a shop rag and a mallet to hammer it down. Its almost all the way in, but ill just use the bolt to force it down.

The one im having trouble with is the intermediate gear. that thing will not budge at all! Cant even force it down a little. I didnt want to use a mallet on it before i ask you guys. Whats the best way to slide that sucker all the way in?

Not to seem like a dick but have you measured the shaft and gear . What brand is the gear ? Is this an aftermarket or Oem gear . I need more info before i can give you an accurate suggestion.

i should have mentioned it. but its a EVO 3 swap from jacks transmission. I know some trannys the 5th gear slides right off, and some are a pain.

Just dont want to force it and mess anything up like a bearing.

Do you have anything to evenly distribute force while "pressing" or forcing the gear onto the shaft? it is possible that even if it appears (by eye) to be going on straight that it is #### eye'd. Have you tired contacting jacks about the issue you are having ?

i do not have anything to evenly compress the gear. i have contacted him about other concerns but he has yet to reply to my last one. Emailed him too late.

Unless he gets back to me tomorrow. My best bet would to take it to a shop and have them insert it?

Best bet would be to take it to a shop if your not confident you can install it properly .Personally i wouldn't want to go hammering on a gear because it could cause galling of the shaft and also not have the proper clearance for the gear to properly engage (to speak of ). My solution would be to mic both the gear and shaft and figure out either the proper clearance or interference fit and determine a solution.

alright thanks! Was hoping to get this done today, but i guess i can wait. Ill give my pal a call and see whats best (hes a mechanic)

Please post the outcome in-case anyone else has this issue . Best of luck man

Alright, so a shop said a press wouldnt be the best solution as it might damage something internally. That i should tap it in place and heat the gear with water.

Now, which way does the gear go? I did take note on how i took it out, but on my broken transmission it was the opposite way and looks like the one from vfaq

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

basically, on my old transmission, the yellow painted part was pointing out, against the nut.

on the replacement i got, it was the opposite. the yellow part was towards the internals away from the nut.

Any luck yet? I'm having the same exact issue with my Evo 3 5th gear from Jacks. The new intermediate gear just won't start on the shaft. The stock part fits snug but at least starts surely.

Now, which way does the gear go? I did take note on how i took it out, but on my broken transmission it was the opposite way and looks like the one from vfaq

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

basically, on my old transmission, the yellow painted part was pointing out, against the nut.

on the replacement i got, it was the opposite. the yellow part was towards the internals away from the nut.

The yellow painted/rough side goes in toward the bell housing side of the trans. Sounds like your bad trans may have been rebuilt sloppily; what caused it's demise?
Either way, I always snap pictures of everything during dissassembly. This has saved me hours and ton$ of grief when working on things.

Last edited:
Sometimes they don't just slip on. If you need anything more than a rubber mallet there is most likely a burr or something or you have a mismatched set of gears (unlikely I would think).

Well I ran out of patience (very easily on a Sunday evening) and ended up tapping it on. It wasn't going without a fight so that's what I gave it. GENTLY, tapped with a 24mm socket + shop rag in between the gear and socket. Make sure you're centered and be careful with that collar!

It always appeared cockeyed unless I was looking straight on. I verified this by turning the crank 90 degrees and checking it again several times. I'm pretty sure ~24 1-inch long splines wouldn't allow any slop. After a couple firm taps both gears' teeth were flush and I torqued down the 36mm nut.

Hope this was right...

Yeah, i got a socket and just had it above the gear and tapped it semi gently with a mallet and paid close attention to it. Making sure it was flush and it didnt enter wrong. and make sure it doesnt hit 5th gear if you already have it in. just every tap, look at it and make sure its entering the teeth.

and make sure you torque down the nuts to spec and pinch the sides of the nut! if not, it will come loose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back