The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Best way to fix leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1320 warrior

Probationary Member
May 18, 2002
New_York_City
What is the best way to fix my transfer case leak. Should I use the RTV method illustrated on the Vfaq website or should I use the JB Kwik Weld method. Which one works the best.

The best way that I found is to replace the yolk! I got one from Conicelli for $35 and that included a new U-joint, bearings, and a few different size circlips. You also might want to replace the rubber seal on the back of the transfer case while you're at it.

It was a bit of a pain to remove and install, but it wasn't an all day project or anything. You'll need a 5 or 6" C-clamp to press the needle bearing cups out of the joint, a pair of circlip pliers, and a variety of sockets to match the diameter of those bearings. It helps to unbolt the first driveshaft carrier bearing to give yourself more flexibility when wiggling the yolk on and off the driveshaft, and you'll have to drain and refil the transfer case. The kit comes with circlips of different thicknesses because the U-joint needs the right ammount of clearance. My Haynes manual helped a bunch.

I'd say, the best way is to take it to the dealer and have them perform the recall. If they complete and it is still messed up, take it back until it is done right.

The recall is for the life of the car. Many people were injured/died to get this recall in place. Use it.

AWDriven.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back