The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best way to find exhaust leaks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rengar18

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2009
Lancaster, California
So i've read/heard things such as running seaform through the engine and using a flame along the exhaust to find leaks but i'm concerned about accuracy, especially in finding exhaust manifold leaks and 02 housing leaks.

Not to mention i can't pass smog because of the leaks i also have some turbo spooling issues (full boost around 4500 on a 14b) and i'd like to eliminate exhaust leaks off the list in diagnosing that.

What are your guys methods and what is a 100% way to find the various leaks in my exhaust? From Exhaust Mani to the tailpipe what are my options for going about this?

Thanks

If its slowing spool I'd guess either exhaust manifold gasket, or turbo to manifold gasket. Those are the two that would slow spool down like that.

In general for finding an exhaust leak under the car I have heard and personally just taken a microfiber cloth laying around and hold it over the exit on the muffler. If you have an exhaust leak it should push it out through that leak. Have some buddies near the engine bay and under the car to listen. If this is a bad method someone let me know.

How I do it on diesel engines is with the engine completely cold, run the engine and immediatly spray suspected area with soapy water and check for bubbles, but also keep an eye out that it isnt just the water boiling from heat.

Cold start and spraying with soapy water usually best method, probably gasket leaks if it's not very loud and too noticeable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back