The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best Turbo? [Merged 9-9] turbocharger upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukster00

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2001
Budd_Lake_NJ
hi, i wona upgrade my turbo on the gsx, and there is so many choices dont know which one to buy, so i asking you pepz wich turbo is best for under 1k for street/strip setup thanks,

yea I know there are cheaper prices out there. But do they offer the same services at that price 150-250. sometimes you pay for what you get

man you got 1 up on me i was just about to say jusmx141. I got my hx40 from him super super great guy.

If you haven't tuned it with spark and fuel, I would suggest you do that before you ditch to another turbo for a 'better' powerband. A lot can be had in spool-up under the curve with afr/timing.

Go with the rebuild and get it tuned with the extra money you saved.

Do you have the correct oiling setup for this turbo? If not you will rebuilding it every 6K

im very happy with the 40 i just wanted to kno if there was something better. wanted to get info on the bg 362&366 extd tips to how they compare vs the hx40. I understand about getting a tune and seeing a better spool and powerband out of the car. Belive it or not as the way the car sits now im happy with it even w/o the tune LOL. I can't imagine how it's going to be tuned.

im very happy with the 40 i just wanted to kno if there was something better. wanted to get info on the bg 362&366 extd tips to how they compare vs the hx40. I understand about getting a tune and seeing a better spool and powerband out of the car. Belive it or not as the way the car sits now im happy with it even w/o the tune LOL. I can't imagine how it's going to be tuned.

Frankly, theres at least one huge thread on the link forums about BW issues. There's some on the galantvr4 forum and 1-2 or more here. Taht's not to say that they arn't excellent turbos and very reliable. But dsmers just don't do critical things like check oil pressure AT THE TURBO.

I've personally been in an hx40 car and seen hundreds of logs on different setups that all show the same 20-22psi by 4000-4200rpms. I've seen dozens of s362 logs on the link forums and none of them are under 4500rpms for the same boost number.

And also frankly there's no turbo that has put down higher numbers than the hx40 in the .55 a/r bep housing; that's the bolton a/r and volute shape. I don't know how much more proven that that you can get. A t3 hx40 will be about 400rpms laggier and even MORE potent.

But I still really, really like the BW s3** turbos. Very reliable too. Just not quite the same kind of turbo. Give it a bigger better turbine housing and, though laggy, will nail 650whp easily.

BEP left the holset thing behind because no one wanted to try one :) there was several huge threads on it and only 1-2 users.

I agree with dsm-onster. You should just get that hx35 on the car as cheap as possible since you already have it.

I run a e316g and its completely maxed. I see 38lb/min at my altitude and dsmlink estimates 430lb/tq and 410hp. Thats what I love about the turbo is it has so much tq down low and hits real hard. I get lots of tq steer into second.

What I hate about the turbo is the power hits 400hp around 5800rpms and drops over 100hp by 6500rpms. I know cams would help a lot but the turbo just doesnt have much up top. If power was all the way to 7k I would be happy. But its not, so I will be upgrading to a hx40 here soon. I want to break 50lb min with the bolt on housing and I dont think the hx35 will do it for me.

I agree with dsm-onster. You should just get that hx35 on the car as cheap as possible since you already have it.

I run a e316g and its completely maxed. I see 38lb/min at my altitude and dsmlink estimates 430lb/tq and 410hp. Thats what I love about the turbo is it has so much tq down low and hits real hard. I get lots of tq steer into second.

What I hate about the turbo is the power hits 400hp around 5800rpms and drops over 100hp by 6500rpms. I know cams would help a lot but the turbo just doesnt have much up top. If power was all the way to 7k I would be happy. But its not, so I will be upgrading to a hx40 here soon. I want to break 50lb min with the bolt on housing and I dont think the hx35 will do it for me.

im not sure what you elevation is, but im hittin 50 lb/min @28psi on my 7 blade HX35, (V3 Speed Density)

my elevation is like 20ft from sea level LOL so im sure your results will be different!

I wouldn't go so far as to saying you're maxed, even though you're at a high elevation. If your mod list is current, there's still plenty of things you could do to get more out of that thing. Heck, clipping it for one would help if you're running outta steam up top....for starters.

Had that same problem before. Once I stepped to an EVO3 intake manifold and FP exhaust manifold, that drop off is only 30 h.p. With the Kelford 272 cams, I expect to bump the H.P. curve flat across to 7500 rpms, on the EVO3 16g. All depends how you have things setup. Very, very few guys have a completely optimized 16g setup.

Best bolt-on turbo threads are impossible to answer, everybody's idea of the best turbo is different.

Is there a bolton gt35r out there? Don't all the bolton FP chargers use the little gt30 turbine wheel?

You can get the scm6152 with the gt35r compressor wheel and the old scuel t350 turbine wheel that fp likes, but the bolton housing is pretty much a terrible waste of a casting process. The lousy flow is very apparent. . . There's the 6169. Still just a gt35r compressor wheel. But with a non-gt335r turbine wheel that's a little better than the t350 wheel. That shows some potential, but again you choke that potential away with their bolton housing.

I've yet to see a bolton turbo make more power than the bolton a/r (.55 bep) hx40. Although I wouldn't doubt a .55 a/r s362 or s366 could possibly do similar. Same or better flowing compressor same high boost potential and wide lowboost capable map. Big turbine wheel that seams to spool very well for what it should be able to flow.

. . .But you can't get those particular BW turbos with a bolton flange according to the Bullseye website. . .

Wasnt it like 640+whp at around 44psi with the bolt on housing hx40 that someone made a little while back? That turbo was running under 50psi making that much power in the bolt on housing. I cant wait to run one.

I dont really know how turbos work completely i just know they make my car go fast....so um which turbo should i buy to get the best Horsepower gains and also should i get my turbo b4 i get other things because i have a turbo just a really small stock one? I plan to put around 450-550 HP in car

You're going to need some supporting fuel mods and some sort of engine management before you install a larger turbo if you're aiming for 450-500whp.

edit: Take a look under the tech section at the upgrade path for 2g dsms. It will answer a ton of your questions (that is if you don't mind reading).

Youll need engine management, fuel mods, intake, exhaust, built driveline, etc to get 450-550, if you put a huge turbo on first youre going to break something.

I dont really know how turbos work completely i just know they make my car go fast....so um which turbo should i buy to get the best Horsepower gains and also should i get my turbo b4 i get other things because i have a turbo just a really small stock one? I plan to put around 450-550 HP in car

Everyone has to get information from somewhere, and you have come to the right place as a DSM owner. But you might want to do some reading, actually a lot of reading, on the Upgrade path's/FAQ's and the Search tool. Because a lot of new people, as I once was, get mixed responses that can be little or no help. Mainly because our questions, as newbies, can be a little vague or silly in contrast to the complex variables of our turbo'ed engines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back