The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Best Turbo? [Merged 9-9] turbocharger upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukster00

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2001
Budd_Lake_NJ
hi, i wona upgrade my turbo on the gsx, and there is so many choices dont know which one to buy, so i asking you pepz wich turbo is best for under 1k for street/strip setup thanks,

why is everyone so scared of some lag, now only since your running a 2.3 then i would agree with a larger compressor and smaller turbine a/r, since it'll only rev to 7k. a larger hot side will create a smaller power band. 30r is considered one of the best all around :thumb:
personally i would go with a Garrett 35-82 ;) u gotta have something to look forward to later in the rpms who wants the car to fall flat on its face at 8000 :tease:

That's amazing power for that turbo, even though it drops off hard on the 2.3l. The gt3071 compressor wheel is only a hair larger than a 20g with 53/71mm(gt3071) versus 52/68mm(20g) for inducer/exducer. The GT3071 wheel can also be machined to fit in a stock 14b compressor housing. I've been trying to get my hands on one of those wheels for awhile, but they are difficult to get by themselves.

It was also a 2.4L. Huge 4g64 motor Jack built for that car. Whats impressive are those numbers where not corrected. Meaning thats what it actually made up in this altitude. Us 16g guys can barely hit 350whp on race gas and e85.

why is everyone so scared of some lag, now only since your running a 2.3 then i would agree with a larger compressor and smaller turbine a/r, since it'll only rev to 7k. a larger hot side will create a smaller power band. 30r is considered one of the best all around :thumb:
personally i would go with a Garrett 35-82 ;) u gotta have something to look forward to later in the rpms who wants the car to fall flat on its face at 8000 :tease:

YEA BUT LIKE YOU SAID IF IM ONLY REVVING TO 7K ,I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER TO FIND A TURBO THAT SPOOLS UP FASTER SO THEN I HAVE A BIGGER POWERBAND DONT YA THINK?

I Need Help Finding A Hx40 Turbo

You cant just go buy a bolt on hx40 for cheap. Few companys still have them for around $1000 which is not worth it if you pay that much. You have to find a used one thats good, classifieds, ebay, diesel yards. Have it rebuilt if needed, buy the right housings, gaskets and oil lines.

Once you have the turbo then you can go through the 1 million posts on how to correctly oil the turbo. So many people have had failed holsets 2000 miles in due to incorrect oiling. I have only seen two people with high mileage holsets on a dsm so be careful when installing. Only reason Im still hesitent of buying one.

I know a gt3076r would last and perform. If you have the cash go with an HTA Garrett. If money is a factor than go with an hx40 6/12 blade. If you find one with a billet wheel then you have pretty much HTA tech in the holset.

I know someone that runs a gt35r HTA on his built 2.0L. Turbo is very responsive even on his 2.0L. His car is in the 10's easy in our altitude. Your 2.3L would love that turbo. Large enough to actually make power the whole power band.

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP HTA GT3582R Ball Bearing Turbocharger

You cant just go buy a bolt on hx40 for cheap. Few companys still have them for around $1000 which is not worth it if you pay that much. You have to find a used one thats good, classifieds, ebay, diesel yards. Have it rebuilt if needed, buy the right housings, gaskets and oil lines.

Once you have the turbo then you can go through the 1 million posts on how to correctly oil the turbo. So many people have had failed holsets 2000 miles in due to incorrect oiling. I have only seen two people with high mileage holsets on a dsm so be careful when installing. Only reason Im still hesitent of buying one.

I know a gt3076r would last and perform. If you have the cash go with an HTA Garrett. If money is a factor than go with an hx40 6/12 blade. If you find one with a billet wheel then you have pretty much HTA tech in the holset.

I know someone that runs a gt35r HTA on his built 2.0L. Turbo is very responsive even on his 2.0L. His car is in the 10's easy in our altitude. Your 2.3L would love that turbo. Large enough to actually make power the whole power band.

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP HTA GT3582R Ball Bearing Turbocharger

I WAS TOLD THE HTA 35R IS VERY LAGGY.....THAT WAS THE TURBO I WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE ...BUT AFTER HEARING ALL THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT HOLSET TURBOS THATS WHY I CHANGED MY MIND

35R's are somewhat laggy, Holsets seem to spool quite quickly for their size, an HX40 would probably suit you well. If you are patient enough and know anything about turbos you could put one together for around $600 with the BEP housing. Otherwise an SCM61 is always a nice choice for a stroker.

Holset all the way just bought a hx35 cant wait to see it on the car

HX40 WO"ULD PROBABLY SPOOL TOOOO FAST :) stop with the caps :). . . Hx40 get's my vote, of course. But the reason why is simple: faster spool for the same power and they flow SOOO much up top. Again, you will have to look around for the hx40, try diesel classifieds, then swap on the bolton housing. But in the long run you paid how much? If you're comparing this to a REAL gt35r not an ebay special. . .

+1 t3 HX40 all the way! or better yet twin scroll :sneaky:

I'm from iowa, and the only thing more common then a cummins is a caviler. and i do love the holset turbo, but the fact that they are designed to run on much less oil pressure then these cars run makes me second guess that choice. people have been getting good numbers and low lag off of bb turbos for a long time. in the end it is all what you want to do. just research the turbo's and decide what kind of work you want to put into it.

personally i think for your HP goals an hx40 is really big. im surprised no one else said anything already. i would go with an s259 or any of the 30r variants if i was you.

I'm from iowa, and the only thing more common then a cummins is a caviler. and i do love the holset turbo, but the fact that they are designed to run on much less oil pressure then these cars run makes me second guess that choice. people have been getting good numbers and low lag off of bb turbos for a long time. in the end it is all what you want to do. just research the turbo's and decide what kind of work you want to put into it.

It isn't that hard to put a FP filter restrictor on the feed line. Many Holset guys do this with success.

Both of which cost much more and spools about the same or slower. Both turbos you listed are good turbos, but I can't see a strong argument against the holset pointing you to either of those.

the hx40 like a LOT of boost, it would more than likely not be used to its full potential/efficiency... it just doesnt make sense to me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back