The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Best turbo kits for a 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowass420a

Probationary Member
Apr 18, 2023
Edinburg, Virginia
I recently got the car looking to find a decent turbo kit for the car planning to throw it in after i build the block just looking for some suggestions, All ive seen is ebay kits but i honestly dont know to trust them or not.

What are your goals for the car? Without tuning software you will only be able to use piggyback type controllers to control fueling so you won't be able to run very high boost. For tuning megasquirt is what most use for the 420a cars.

If you are just doing low boost the ebay kits would work but you will more than likely end up replacing the turbo and blow off valve sooner rather than later. If you want to do high boost I would buy individual pieces. You will probably have trouble finding quality parts for some stuff like the exhaust manifold/header. There are not a lot of companies out there that still make parts for 420a performance applications.

Just my opinion, if I now owned a 420a DSM and just wanted to have fun occasionally, I would consider going with nitrous if I can refill the bottle locally.
I would prefer to just get a basic wet kit and spray 75 shot or 100 shot and send it rather than spending much money and time to find a rare 20 years old 420a turbo kit or buying/fabricating the parts for installing a turbo and then boosting 7 psi. Going nitrous would be easier to start and probably cheaper too.

Seems like you can only use Ebay cast iron exhaust manifold now. I remember OBX and Megan Racing made tubular manifolds some years back. Although their quality is questionable you would at least have a tubular manifold. But I don't see those when searching anymore. And I'm sure the Ebay iron manifolds offer awful exhaust flow and poor turbo spool.

Aside from that problem, all of the "kits" you buy are just a bunch of universal parts thrown together that SHOULD work but you'll have to modify some things to hook it up. Which isn't really worth your time when the parts are low quality anyway.

You basically have 4 options for boosting the power your 420a.
- Buy Ebay turbo kit and hope everything is usable, if so without premature parts failure.
- Spend big $ and time individually locating parts for a higher quality turbo setup that will work together.
- Build the engine to make N/A power (depending on your goals you can literally spend more money here than if you used a high quality turbo setup, and make less power)
- Apply nitrous. Which will still require forged pistons because stock ringlands are too weak. Would probably use MLS headgasket and clamp down with some headstuds to make sure she's sealed tight. But just remember you have no control of fuel delivery or ignition timing on the stock ecu so you can ruin the engine.

I guess something else you could do is use an accessory mount supercharger. I've seen it done on a few side-winder 4 cylinders. But sheesh, neary everything you would need is going to be custom fabricated.

What are your goals for the car? Without tuning software you will only be able to use piggyback type controllers to control fueling so you won't be able to run very high boost. For tuning megasquirt is what most use for the 420a cars.

If you are just doing low boost the ebay kits would work but you will more than likely end up replacing the turbo and blow off valve sooner rather than later. If you want to do high boost I would buy individual pieces. You will probably have trouble finding quality parts for some stuff like the exhaust manifold/header. There are not a lot of companies out there that still make parts for 420a performance applications.
I dont want it to be crazy power just want a fun cruising car if you get what im saying

Do some reading here so you understand what is involved with the tuning/engine management side of turbo-ing a non-turbo car. To be honest what turbo kit to buy is really the least of your concerns. Figuring out engine management is the hard part especially if you have never done it before.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back