The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Best Turbo/Cam Combo for the street?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistaspakles

20+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2002
Minneapolis_MN
Seeing what the best turbo/cam combo would be for me. I only plan on using pump gas @20psi max and I don't plan on going past 7K rpm's. Any thought's?
Also, would extrude-honing the intake manifold only be beneficial if I take it past 7K?

are you awd or fwd? Personally right now I am going with big16g(ported/clipped) and eventually HKS 272 cams. I also plan for mainly pump gas. That set-up I think would be a good street set-up for a fwd. Then I think I will throw a 50 shot on top of that so I could have 350whp at my disposal on pump gas(I live in cali we get 91). But I may need internal work to do that...I don't know, just an idea nothing for sure.

If you want more hp sometimes then go with Green/L2R/50 Trim Those are future turbos that I may consider...how ever you don't really get to use their potential unless you have race gas and are boosting 26psi+

Originally posted by Sicstylz
I was thinking about a T28. But I'm not sure what cams to go with.

well,its not like we have a huge choice in cams,with the t28,i'd say you'd probably be best to go with the web-cams street grinds.

mistaspakles,i'd probably suggest the same to you unless you went bigger than the t28 or 16g.

Originally posted by GSX4LIFE
Wait a little bit. Some cool things will be coming out in the next few months. 50trims are already yesterdays news.

Yea like what? I heard that garrett is coming out with some new turbine wheels soon.

Originally posted by GSX4LIFE
Wait a little bit. Some cool things will be coming out in the next few months. 50trims are already yesterdays news.

Would you be a bit more specific?

Are we not tired of playing turbo of the week? The green works, 20g's work and the green definitely works. I agree with the above, full Garrett 50 272/272 cams and be done with it.

Like they said. I personally went with 264/272 for the simple reason that there wasn't much to be gained from the tests that I have seen via dyno analysis unless you revved over 7500. This is where the bigger intake of 272 will really help you out. If definately wouldn't hurt you though going full 272. The only thing I would think that might be slightly different is your spool up time and idle ability. Check out www.automotosports.com for a good article they did on different sets of cams.

Originally posted by 13secGST
are you awd or fwd? Personally right now I am going with big16g(ported/clipped) and eventually HKS 272 cams. I also plan for mainly pump gas. That set-up I think would be a good street set-up for a fwd. Then I think I will throw a 50 shot on top of that so I could have 350whp at my disposal on pump gas(I live in cali we get 91). But I may need internal work to do that...I don't know, just an idea nothing for sure.
A 50 shot on 91 octane would not be something I reccomend. Also 300 hp to the wheels out of a 16g on 91 octane would be pretty though to do.

My sut up will be a FWD with 9.0 je's, eagle rods, ported head, 20g, but i was wondering what cams I should get. I was 264/272 but I have seen alot of people go with straight 272. I dont have to worry about smog so its just power I want. My other problem is that I have a 90 so I cant change my rev limit. Thats the only reason i was going woth the combo as apposed to the straight pair. Any thoughts would be great.

You won't have to limit your car to 7000 rpm. The rev limiter stops the fun at 7500. The 272/272 will make better power from 6000 rpm up.

DSMer,

Soon I'm going to overhauling the engine, and due to money shortage I need to chose between 264/272 cams or GM Translator with the MAF, Intake pipe & Filter. So which one will be better to used:confused:

Originally posted by 4wd-Eclipse
DSMer,

Soon I'm going to overhauling the engine, and due to money shortage I need to chose between 264/272 cams or GM Translator with the MAF, Intake pipe & Filter. So which one will be better to used:confused:

get the cams.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back