The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

best street/drag tire for stock 16's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meangreengst

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2002
winter springs, Florida
whats the best tire you guys had expirience with that kicks on the strip and the street i wanna put them on the stock 97 gst 16" rims guess i just want for you guys to recomend a street tire thats grippy as hell:thumb:

imo most tires are pretty decent as far as street use goes, I go w/ @ least a V rated for piece of mind.
if you want to get good traction at the track buy a pair of extra rims and some bfg drag radials slap them on before you leave the house and your good to go .
Just my thoughts .

Nitto drag radials. I daily drive my 2002 Camaro Z28 rain or shine with them on, they've even seen snow a few times. I couldn't get traction < 60mph when it is dry with the stock tires.

imo most tires are pretty decent as far as street use goes, I go w/ @ least a V rated for piece of mind.
if you want to get good traction at the track buy a pair of extra rims and some bfg drag radials slap them on before you leave the house and your good to go .
Just my thoughts .

hello.

old post but im awaking it again LOL.. :D

i would like to know what size Tire would you use on the stock 16's 98 GSt wheels, i have 2 extras, and i am pretty much stock everything..
Factory Tire size is 205/55R16, i need 2 Drag Street Radials to put them on and drive to track and run them at track, what size and any ideas on brands...

Thank You..

Hoosier drag radials, 225/50 16. About the only thing available that'll fit on a stock rim in a radial. They also make the QuickTime Pros which are DOT, but not radials. Anything else is too big, Nitto killed their 225/50 DR and only have the 245/50 16 now, which won't work on a 6" wheel, and the MTs are 255s I think.

Hoosier drag radials, 225/50 16. About the only thing available that'll fit on a stock rim in a radial. They also make the QuickTime Pros which are DOT, but not radials. Anything else is too big, Nitto killed their 225/50 DR and only have the 245/50 16 now, which won't work on a 6" wheel, and the MTs are 255s I think.

oo ok, i see. now with those DOT tires i can run them at the 1/4 mile? woudl it perform same as slicks or street radials? or better? because i would just have to swap them at teh track i dotn have a problem with that.

I have a set of the nitto 555r 225/50/16 on a set of enkei rf1's/ They hook great. When they are done, i'm not sure if i'm going to change wheel sizes, or try the hoosiers.

oo ok, i see. now with those DOT tires i can run them at the 1/4 mile? woudl it perform same as slicks or street radials? or better? because i would just have to swap them at teh track i dotn have a problem with that.

Radials have sidewalls that are way too stiff, in my opinion. The Hoosier QuickTime Pros are a bias-ply DOT slick and they will perform WAY better than a drag radial or radial street tire by far, but not quite as good as a full slick. You can also drive with the QTPs on the street, as they are a DOT tire, however, the ride may be a little mushy due to the soft sidewalls that bias-ply tires are known for. You'll just have to be a little more careful. :thumb:

I say get the QuickTime Pros for sure!

Anybody have any ideas for a good dd track weekend tire. More meat size of 225/50/16 for gst wheels.
I was looking into ponteza re760 and yoko s4... both with great reviews.
I've had yoko s. drive and my car couldn't launch for shit. But for a dd it was great.

I would stick with Bf drags... 3 of my buddies love them and are very bias about other brands. I guess that's their experience!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back