The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Best Placement For Oil Temp Sender

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After thinking about what I asked earlier about the sump being post-cooler, that makes no sense. Of course the sump is pre-cooler. I'm an idiot... Sorry was writing that response while on a conference call.

Oil pan's going to work perfectly fine being as it's where the hot oil goes after draining down from the engine. I think the pre-cooler port on the OFH works just as well and is perhaps a bit easier to integrate into (i.e. no need to weld a bung into the pan).

I too have not seen them trend together.
With my last temp sender remote mounted off the OFH I'd see 220-250* on my oil, car always held at 195-210* for water temp (hot days).

I'm hoping the oil cooler will drop those temps.

I have mine in my oil filter housing mainly for convenience of install, but I also wanted it post-engine pre-cooler to see what the max oil temps were. Oil pan is going to be post-cooler, isn't it?

What oil filter housing you runnin? 1990 air cooled? Where did you plumb the sensor and what type????

Last edited by a moderator:
Easiest way to add an oil temp sensor is to drill and tap a stock oil pan bolt or buy one of these.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You are all welcome.

Easiest way to add an oil temp sensor is to drill and tap a stock oil pan bolt or buy one of these.

You are all welcome.
Wish they had one of those back in the nineties. Wouldn't have to drill and tap. But yeah, that location works very well.

What oil filter housing you runnin? 1990 air cooled? Where did you plumb the sensor and what type????
You can see a lot of mods in my car's profile https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/john-freunds-time-attack-99-eclipse-gsx.1768/
I use an Evo 3 oil filter housing. I have a 1/8" NPT VDO sensor as I originally was using a VDO gauge, and now it's connected to my RaceCapture Pro datalogger. What I can't remember, and can't look because my car isn't at my house right now, is if I threaded that directly in or if I used some sort of adapter. I want to say I had to use some larger BSP to 1/8" NPT adapter, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure some searching around here will tell how to get this kind of sensor into the OEM housing you choose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back