The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best muffler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undefined0000

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2012
Findlay, Ohio
What do you guys recommend? I really miss having my v6 grand am and it's ballsy sound, and my talon now has a stock sorta sounding exhaust on it and I was wondering what's good? I don't like the deep farting sound that like Hondas make, and I was wondering if there are any more options for a 4 cylinder? Post vids if you can. I'm looking mostly just for a muffler for now, I don't have the pocket for full exhaust yet LOL. You can kinda hear my talon here: 92 Talon TSi - Cold start, runs terrible. - YouTube

Go to about 2:40 to really hear it (car still runs like crap on cold starts LOL)

There isn't really a muffler that's 'best'. A lot of the guys on here run the straight through canister mufflers, I think Apexi, Thermal R&D, Megan, and some others all utilize that sort of muffler. I however run the same muffler I ran on my Grand Am GT. Flowmaster 40 series. It sounds pretty sweet to me, especially catless, has a nice import kind of sound without the dirty 'fart sound' those stupid autozone cans give. I can post a vid for you if you want.

Hondas are typically not boosted, thus the shitty rasp. Your DSM won't sound like that.

What threads did you turn up on exhaust for these 20 year old beasts? Surely there's one or two...

The "best" muffler is no muffler. Any muffler no matter design ultimately restrics airflow and/or creates unnecessary turblance.

As far as sound: 100% subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:
O2 dump. ballsy and loud when you hit full boost.

I found a few threads, but wasn't sure of those setups sounded all fart like and such, I'm aiming more towards those extremely loud subarus that rumble the ground from a mile away. All I have now is the stock weed-whacker exhaust. I have noticed that the turbo dsm motors aren't as bad as the hondas, but those darn 420a motors with big exhaust are a little annoying. I'll keep looking and tell you guys what I decide on. Also, would running no muffler and big pipes affect boost at all? Wouldn't that yield less back pressure, or am I thinking backwards?

It might make it difficult to keep boost down, due to boost creep. But the "best" exhaust system for a turbo car is one with as little backpressure as possible.

So its the opposite, mk. Now I'm considering no muffler and HUGE pipes and a new manifold LOL

Doesn't sound half bad actually. Not sure what I wanna do yet. I might just try to completely silence the exhaust so all you hear is the turbo and bov LOL

I'm running a cheap $50 eBay muffler with no silencer and it sounds great! Although I also have a full 3' exhaust with a high flow cat.

i say cut the stock muffler off to get the sound you want and when your ready to do it right, get a full 3' exhaust system off the classifieds for cheap.

So running no muffler won't sound like crap?

I've got a Megan Racing TBE and dumped O2. I like the sound of the exhaust however I'm growing tired of the slant muffler look and might lop it off for a stock looking muffler.

Also I hate my O2 dump, it sounds like shit. It sounds cool for the first little bit and then it wears off. It's great for scaring people though.

Someone explain what this O2 dump is? It sounds super expensive

Don't run an open dump on a 16g powered car. Every time you get into boost the wastegate will open and your car will instantly be louder. Sure its fun at first put it gets old fast plus your just asking to get pulled over.

As far as mufflers, get something with a straight through design. I'd stay away from any mufflers that are huge looking I.E. the apexi N1, unless you want to be harassed by the cops. There are plenty of mufflers that aren't a huge can that flow well also.

And you obviously shouldn't be worrying about a muffler as this point since your car runs like total crap. You need to just start going through your car and doing all types of maintenance.

Don't run an open dump on a 16g powered car. Every time you get into boost the wastegate will open and your car will instantly be louder. Sure its fun at first put it gets old fast plus your just asking to get pulled over.

As far as mufflers, get something with a straight through design. I'd stay away from any mufflers that are huge looking I.E. the apexi N1, unless you want to be harassed by the cops. There are plenty of mufflers that aren't a huge can that flow well also.

And you obviously shouldn't be worrying about a muffler as this point since your car runs like total crap. You need to just start going through your car and doing all types of maintenance.

Fixed most of the big problems. Turns out the distributor wires were hooked up to the wrong ports. There were autolite sparkplugs in there and the intake manifold gasket was installed backwards. All were fixed. Runs deliciously now! Except it idles at 1100 rpms. Would it be bad for me to just chop off the muffler?

Fixed most of the big problems. Turns out the distributor wires were hooked up to the wrong ports. There were autolite sparkplugs in there and the intake manifold gasket was installed backwards. All were fixed. Runs deliciously now! Except it idles at 1100 rpms. Would it be bad for me to just chop off the muffler?

DSM's don't have distributors... You mean the coil pack I presume. And yes having the plug wires mixed up would cause your car to run like garbage. I'd get rid of the autolite plugs and replace them with NGK BPR6ES or BPR7ES plugs.

Next I would read THIS. To help you adjust your idle.

It wouldn't necessarily be bad to chop off your muffler but why not just replace it with a less restrictive one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back