The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Best muffler for turbo(sound/performance)/question about cat converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race94

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2003
Puerto_Rico
What in your opinion is the best muffler for a turbo car?
Model? Material? diameter? type?- your opinion on your muffler.

Also regarding the turbo-back, i am going to be using a 3" cat-conv, what are the downsides of this? please be specific.

Thanks

Why dont you just use a test pipe, instead of a Catalytic Converter?

^Maybe he needs to pass smog. The downside to having a cat is its just another restriction. The faster and easier the exhaust gases get out of the car the better. A test pipe or straight pipe will make the exhaust louder but be more free flowing.

I also suggest the Thermal R&D. Nice sounding (not to loud at all) exhaust, stainless steel piping and muffler. Very good for 2G DSM's. Check my gallery if you want to see what it looks like.

i also recomend the thermal r&d 3" turbo back system, its the best sounding one iv seen so far, and it looks really good too

i certainly wouldnt put a flowmaster on anything turbo, much less any import, flowmaster mufflers are not straight through like all the good mufflers, they have several walls inside that restrict airflow in order to lessen the volume of the sound, these restricting walls form chambers inside the muffler, more chambers means less sound and less airflow, there for less power, all their mufflers are at least 2 chambers, most are 3 or more
we can all agree that more airflow is clearly better on a turbo car, and back pressure is not good, so i would stay away from any flowmaster mufflersthey restrict a considerable ammount of airflow and create backpressure, they will make less power then a straight through muffler if your car is turbo, and flowmasters sound like total garbage on a dsm, and almost every other import

40 series = one baffle, and one wall.

i have had nothing but compliments about my flowmaster. it serves its purpose and does it well.

no gauddy 4-5 inch tips, much quiter then staight thrus, and i gained .2 on the 1/4 just by changing it from my HKS dragger catback to my custom flowmaster one (both 3")

just giving the guy my opinion...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back