The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Best exhaust for a daily driver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KlipzSpyderGST

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2002
Nellis AFB, Nevada
Hey im kinda newb to the art of modification, so Im asking this question. I just picked up this hot 98 Red GSX (Pics up mad soon!) Anyways, I was wondering what would be the best exhaust system up until about 300 HP? Since Its only a daily driver for now I dont intend on throwing down some mad HP...yet...Of course Im saying this now...Its a DSM...of course there will be some mad horses thrown around:thumb:

So any help on the exhaust would be very helpful.

I think the RnR o2 eliminator Downpipe (2.5 inch) with a high flow cat (if you have smog) then the Thermal R&D catback would be awesome. Thats what I want at least.

definitly RNR turbo back!!!

go with 2.5" with external dump..

they have a special right now!!! teh 2.5" ALL stainless o2 elim turbo back with bullet muffler, tip, and external dump is only $690.. cant beat that!

I would agree with GaRn here, but look for a sound clip of what and O2 dump sounds like before slapping one on a daily driver.

Originally posted by tsi_turboawd
3" apexi N1
Unfortunatley, there isn't such a thing. ;)

It has LOTS of neckdowns.

Originally posted by LandoAWD

I don't want to get into this arguement, but no, it doesn't neck down, at least on 2G's. :rolleyes:

The only neckdown point is to 2.5" on the downpipe that hooks up to the stock O2 sensor that goes to 3" once you hit the flex section.

And I would not put an external dump on a T25 either.

Originally posted by cait sith

I don't want to get into this arguement, but no, it doesn't neck down, at least on 2G's. :rolleyes:

The only neckdown point is to 2.5" on the downpipe that hooks up to the stock O2 sensor that goes to 3" once you hit the flex section.

And I would not put an external dump on a T25 either.

How is that possible when the stock diameter is under 2 inches? This is stupid, if you want a good high flowing exhaust you have other choices. if you want a look at me im cool system buy the apex N1. very simple happy boosting

external dump..

what makes you say nay to that?? any negative effects? i bet he would upgrade in the future anyways!!

3" HKS Dragger exhaust w/ o2 eliminator. Thats what i had with my S20g; sounds mean and flows great, not to mention it tucks away very well under the rear bumper.

i have a 2.5 to 3" downpipe and 3" stainless steel piping all the way back, 3" in & out high flow cat and the N-1 muffler. it sounds great with a deeper throaty sound, not like the tiny lawnmower mufflers commonly found here at least.

Originally posted by LandoAWD

3 in complete exhaust system on stock turbo = massive boost creep. Try it. My 1G was slapping 22 psi on a 14B b/c of the 3 in no cat exhaust the previous owner slapped on her. the Apex exhaust does not neck down. It gradually expands its diameter from 2.5 inches to 3.3 at the tip. Try the search button , its awesome.:thumb:

trying looking around and see if u can pick up an apexi dunk system. the car purrrss... back in the day i got an 3inch n1 downpipe and 3inch catback for 600 shipped. Its the best i have ever heard and flows well.

oh, and don't worry with boost creep, the t25 will never boost creep. it won't even hold 13psi to redline with the wastegate disconnected.

Originally posted by Groomz

Apex exhaust does not neck down. It gradually expands its diameter from 2.5 inches to 3.3 at the tip. Try the search button , its awesome.:thumb:
Thanks for the sarcasm, but it does decrease diameter, so it isn't 3in is it...

All I meant was that it has been discussed before.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71948
The smaller portion of the Apex exhaust ( which is found at the start of the downpipe , i.e. the "neck" ) which is 2.5 inches in diameter provides a better sizing for lower-end torque, and as exhaust gases are traveling at a higher velocity at the point of origin in the exhaust, exhaust diameter is not as important as having a full 3 inch diameter. As the exhaust gases slow, the increasing diameter of the system allows the exhaust gases to follow a less restrictive path to the exit. The Apex exhaust combined w/ the downpipe provides a good compromise between midrange torque and highend horsepower.

Now if that didn't sound like an Apex promo, I don't what does. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back