The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best Dremel bit for porting plenum mouth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I need to bore my stock intake manifold to support a 60mm throttle body. I'm just wondering which bit will be best for this. When I smoothed the grit off of the lower runners I used the rotary sanding bit, but I know that bit is not aggressive enough for this task.

Or if you have any other ideas on how to do it myself, please post them here. Thanks :)

When you are looking at burrs find one that has decent gaps between the teeth. If you get one that has small teeth the aluminum tends to clog them up.

I would also really recommend grabbing a 12 dollar die grinder from harbor freight and getting 1/4" burrs for that. It will be MUCH MUCH quicker. But if you don't have an air compressor or just want to work with what you've got just make sure you get burrs with decent spacing on the "teeth"

Get something like one of the burs for aluminum shown in this McMaster link. We'll need to narrow the search in their navigation pane.

Maybe have your local machine shop bore it for you, it would not cost much at all and would be cleaner and consistent/professional which is what airflow really needs in that area, I would be surprised if it would be cheaper to buy the tools to do the job vs having it done by a machine shop.

Just a tip. Keeping the burr lubricated will help the AL not gum up and stick to the burr

What do you find works best for lubricant? Grease or Oil? I've not tried this before but I'll bet I'd have saved a lot of money in burrs if I had known.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back