The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Best clutch for Laser RS Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapasLaser13

Probationary Member
Jun 16, 2021
Auburn, Alabama
Shopping for a new clutch to go into my 90 Laser RS Turbo. There are too many options and I have already found out how difficult 'well fitting' parts are to find for this thing. Any help would be appreciated!

I've used them all and everybody has an opinion. My two favorites are southbend and centerforce.
I didn't care much for ACT especially the 2600. If you need that fine but it was just harsh. I have the lighter plate southbend currently with tz/b disc. If I need is I will step up to the ssx pressure plate but I doubt it.

I've used many different manufacturer clutch kits but my prefered is Southbend. TMZ Performance @twicks69 provides Southbend clutch kits tailored specifically for our DSM & is whom I purchase mine from. There are a few different mix & match options available depending on what your output power is.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you tell us more about your car first.

What modifications have been done, what are you planning on doing?

What is your vehicle usage like? Is this a daily driver? only car? AutoX / drag use on prepped surface / road racing, etc.

Ballpark mileage you drive the car annually. (I.e. its a daily driver pri.ary vehicle 0with 10-15k/year, or its a street/track use car not used as a primary vehicle and sees around 3000 miles in a year, or its a dedicated track car, zero street mileage, track use only, etc.)

What are your current power levels / what are the power goals?

How aggressive of a driver are you? Are you being gentle on the car? Or are you doing street pulls all the time with launches regularly?

What flywheel are you going to be using? Is it new? Or being resurfaced?

Do you have any other driveline modifications done?

Street tires? Drag radials? Slicks /DOT slicks?

What is your budget?

This is a starting point. Answer this first.

How about you tell us more about your car first.

What modifications have been done, what are you planning on doing?

What is your vehicle usage like? Is this a daily driver? only car? AutoX / drag use on prepped surface / road racing, etc.

Ballpark mileage you drive the car annually. (I.e. its a daily driver pri.ary vehicle 0with 10-15k/year, or its a street/track use car not used as a primary vehicle and sees around 3000 miles in a year, or its a dedicated track car, zero street mileage, track use only, etc.)

What are your current power levels / what are the power goals?

How aggressive of a driver are you? Are you being gentle on the car? Or are you doing street pulls all the time with launches regularly?

What flywheel are you going to be using? Is it new? Or being resurfaced?

Do you have any other driveline modifications done?

Street tires? Drag radials? Slicks /DOT slicks?
What is your budget?

This is a starting point. Answer this first.
Going to try and answer all of this as best I can.

No mods have been done to date. I have a crack in the top of the radiator tank and plan on replacing that ASAP. Still getting to know the car and the DSM world if I'm being honest.

This is not my daily driver. Nor is it a track car of any sorts. Its a pull it out and have some fun when I have time or just want to feel close to my papa. We worked on classics my whole life and one day he showed up with the Laser and said he wanted a new challenge. He died before we could ever do anything cool with it. I want the thing to be crisp but I have no grand plans of making it a race car at the moment.

I will end up driving it between 2000 and 5000/year if I had to guess and it has 147,000 miles on it.

Stock power levels. Adding a few more ponies wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I'd say I'm pretty gentle on the car but I like to get loose as much as the next guy. I'm typically not going to launch and try to race the world but like to have that tool in the box for those rare occasions.

I'll take a recommendation on the flywheel as well if you can. Not knowing the previous owner and their habits, it may be wise to just put a new one in?

No other mods done.

Street tires. Eagle Alloy rims.

I figure on dropping around $2000 in the immediate. Whatever is left over from this clutch and radiator deal will be put into the interior.

Personally, a stock level Exedy pressure plate and sprung hub organic clutch disk with a stock flywheel cleaned up will likely do what you need. I deal typically in performance level components. I don't want to sell you something more expensive than you need to do the job.

Pull the trans and let's see what you are dealing with first for part condition, and what components are installed currently.

Thanks,

Tim Zimmer
TMZ Performance

I agree with Tim if you're not upgrading you don't need much.
I've seen many guys buy too much clutch because they didn't want to drop the trans again. I buy what I need. If it's not enough we'll I guess I drop trans again.

If it is going to stay stock, a basic Exedy 05048 OEM organic disk clutch kit will do the job.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back