The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Best Clutch for 350ish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
So here we are, down to the last bit to finish my Talon. :rocks:

What I'm looking for is a decent clutch setup for a DD 2.3 6 bolt that is being tuned for the 400+HP range at the moment. Now I know I am stressing it here, but I am also aware that some good names like Fidanza put out decent products in the $300 price range. I need a clutch that won't be a challenge to drive in town but can stand up to a bit of abuse and a handful of solid launches with launch control.

I need for it to be in the 350ish price range, to be of at least reliable quality, and also something that can personally be referred. I would like feedback on said clutches so as I can make my choice on what to get. I'm currently looking at the Fidanza 3.2 as it's Kevlar and doesn't glaze...but something about a 4 puck doesn't sit right with me. Then again there's the 4.3...but I'm a bit worried that it's going to be far more aggressive than I want. I need to be able to drive it both on and off the track.

So some insight guys? I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Jacks transmissions recommends the act 2600 with a unsprung style discs as the springs tend to pop out on our cars although it is much more rare now than a few years ago.

As for the other companies I've never heard any good things about them from people I've known to actually use one and have proof so I'm not much help there.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but at that power range if it isn't hard to push down odds are it will break.

I'll yet again be a proponent of South Bend Clutch's full-face Kevlar disk that Cris linked to in the first reply. The TZ kit is claimed to handle 375 pounds of torque at the flywheel with a 2100-ish PP. If that's not enough, up the PP to a 2600 and you'll probably be set for all that stroker torque. Or look into their stage 3-6 offerings.

My vote is for the XTD Stage 4 Unsprung. I daily my car with it, and it has around 25k miles and still going. It grabs quickly, price was about $180 shipped. Suppose to hold 500+ hp. It is holding fine on my 410hp daily, all day.

Jacks transmissions recommends the act 2600 with a unsprung style discs as the springs tend to pop out on our cars although it is much more rare now than a few years ago.

As for the other companies I've never heard any good things about them from people I've known to actually use one and have proof so I'm not much help there.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but at that power range if it isn't hard to push down odds are it will break.

Man, there's just something about ACT that I don't enjoy above the 2100. I've driven a 2600 and I absolutely hated it. There was just something off about the setup, and I know that the installation/clutch system was up to par..but I didn't enjoy the way that it disengaged. I also know of good stories, and even more nightmare stories about them. -shrug- Good info though.

I'll yet again be a proponent of South Bend Clutch's full-face Kevlar disk that Cris linked to in the first reply. The TZ kit is claimed to handle 375 pounds of torque at the flywheel with a 2100-ish PP. If that's not enough, up the PP to a 2600 and you'll probably be set for all that stroker torque. Or look into their stage 3-6 offerings.

I enjoy the sound of a Kevlar disk, but I'm not too certain of what experience people have had with them. I'm poking around at that like posted above right now and seeing what I can come up with.

My vote is for the XTD Stage 4 Unsprung. I daily my car with it, and it has around 25k miles and still going. It grabs quickly, price was about $180 shipped. Suppose to hold 500+ hp. It is holding fine on my 410hp daily, all day.

I've been hearing a lot about XTD. A local friend installed one in his Talon yeeaaars ago. Apparently even a guy who could barely drive manual had little problem driving his. Also, I've heard plenty of positive things about this clutch.. so, what's the catch? :hmm:

I've been hearing a lot about XTD. A local friend installed one in his Talon yeeaaars ago. Apparently even a guy who could barely drive manual had little problem driving his. Also, I've heard plenty of positive things about this clutch.. so, what's the catch? :hmm:

IDK, but it is a great clutch. I will definately purchase another one when this one goes out. Again, its cheap, it last's, and the driveability of it is good. Some "chattering" when letting it out too slow, but that's normal for a unsprung clutch.

How is the engagement and disengagement of the clutch with normal driving? Do you have to snap it or can you not release/engage smoothly?

The engagement and disengagement is quick and smooth. No, its not THAT bad that you have to "snap" it. Engagement and release is smooth I think. I am overall satisfied with this clutch.

Looks like I'll be looking into that then. How long have you had said clutch? How has it performed between driving/launching/boost? What sort of driving has it seen? Did you resurface your flywheel before installing? Details please.

Xtd stage 4 for sure. Im running about 437whp and 495 ft. lbs. tq and it holds great. Holds well launch after launch as well. Its said to be a 2300lb pressure plate but the disk material is what allows it to hold better than most. I believe it was a ceramic metallic disk? Someone correct me if im wrong.

Go with a kevlar southbend disk. What pressure plate you use is up to you. I ran an act 2600 pp that had been reused about 3 times with a new southbend disk and it worked amazing. Smooth engaging clutch and grabbed like a motherf**ker. I made quite a few 11 second passes at well over 125ish mph with that clutch and it still looked good when I took it out and swapped to auto. That was with a HX35 at 30+psi of boost tuned on E85.

If I were you and I wanted to put together a nice clutch on a budget, this is what I'd do.

1. Pick up a decent used ACT 2600 out of the classifieds +/-$100
2. Get a South Bend kevlar clutch disk ~ $200 from Tim Zimmer
3. Use a stock resurfaced flywheel or buy one of RRE's no name chromoly flywheels for $220

So you're looking at around $510 with a flywheel or $300ish for a really decent clutch setup. Even with the no name flywheel the cost is less than a brand new 2600 kit (without flywheel).

Looks like I'll be looking into that then. How long have you had said clutch? How has it performed between driving/launching/boost? What sort of driving has it seen? Did you resurface your flywheel before installing? Details please.

I had it for 25k miles so far, and I do spirited driving LOL. I don't launch it a lot, but when I do, as stated it holds great during, and after the launch. My boost is 27-28psi on a 20g. It see's mostly highway driving, but it saw a lot of city driving in it's younger life. And yes my flywheel was resurfaced before installing, as it should always be.

;) Awesome info.

+1 on XTD stage 4 unsprung. I daily drive it in my 1g talon. 20k+ miles on 300whp with multiple launches. But make sure you use a OEM TOB

OEM TOB is a must, this I know. I'm currently considering the Southbend, though it isn't exactly what I'm looking for as far as being cost effective, the XTD Stage 4, and the Fidanza 4.3.

Alright, down to the wire. I think I'm going to give it one more day of thought but I'm REALLY getting a lot of good feedback on the XTD Stage 4. I just don't want it to be unbearable when I try to take off from a stop sign. You know, looking like a jackass and all. If I decide to go with it and this is the case, I'm hunting all of you XTD fanboys down and slapping you around with a bag of frozen waffles.

The clutch is fairly stiff right away but after break in isn't noticeably worse then stock. The engagement point however does take a little getting used to. I have learned to feather it and it has a small area where it engages. Not too big of a deal whatsoever. For the money its very very impressive. You will get some drivetrain noise however from running an unsprung clutch. Im used to it now, its only upon decel.

I've not driven on an unsprung clutch. Can I get some details on what this drivetrain noise is?

The best way to put it is it is kind of chummy upon deceleration. You don't just hear the exhaust but some drive train noise as well. English Racing said this is normal with an unsprung clutch and after getting a new tranny i feel that it is too. I am also using a lightweight flywheel which will increase the harmonics. Nothing to worry about though.

I have a lightweight flywheel already and have always had a steady Hum when decelerating. Then again that may from the shep trans. I was hoping you didn't mean something like, scary such as clunking, rattling constantly, things like that. Lol. Because if so I may just need to down the ideal down to a Stage 3. Then again, it doesn't have nearly as many good reviews.

As long as it's good for DDing, good for power, and isn't going to detonate shortly after I get it and install it properly, I believe I'm set on this one.

Dude, the kevlar disk with a SS-Series SBC pressure plate or an ACT2100 will handle your power levels and drive like a stock car, no chatters, no transmissions exploding, no streetability issues, etc.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone

@_@ But Mr.Zimmer - It's expensive comparably. I'm open to spending money for better quality and less issues, but when someone presents what could be gold to you with few negative reviews, laden with positive feedback, and it's half of the price then why would you pass it up?

Since I can presume that you have hands on experience with the suggested competitor clutch, can you sway me? For my own benefit? Be critical if you must.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back