The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bent Valve!!! Aarrgghh!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoopySLR

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Highland, Michigan
I was installing my new crane valve springs... I put my valves in the tumbler to clean them up, and look at what the dumb machine did to one of them....

Luckly its just one valve. Does anyone have a old exhaust valve laying around I could buy.... stupid Satan (dealer) wants to charge $50 for one valve. I don't want to spend the money to get Ferra Valves, I still need to buy a clutch, phantom grip, and head studs...

Attachments

• Bent Valve.JPG
    Bent Valve.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 342
If that valve looks like that, then you need to get the other ones checked. The slightest bend will promote a bad seal and give you low compression.

Have a machine shop check them all!!

To get new ones at a good price check out www.jnstuning.com (I think thats right). Its the same guys that ran conicelli, and theyll have the best prices most likely. $50 is retarded :thumbdown

-Dallas J

Dallas J said:
If that valve looks like that, then you need to get the other ones checked. The slightest bend will promote a bad seal and give you low compression.

Have a machine shop check them all!!

To get new ones at a good price check out www.jnstuning.com (I think thats right). Its the same guys that ran conicelli, and theyll have the best prices most likely. $50 is retarded :thumbdown

-Dallas J

Sorry Snoop, that sucks but I gotta go with Dallas on this. I don't know how that happened but ya got to have a straight valve. Even the slightest bend and your taking the head off again. I know that you gotta buy other things but I would not (I know you didn't ask for my advice but) take any chances and I would just buy a new set. Crap!
MB

Thats horrible man...I feel your pain though, a buddy and me were rebuilding the head off of his VR6 and he ordered some new OEM valves. Got 'em 2 weeks later to find that every single one of them were bent! frustrating as hell :mad:

SnoopySLR said:
I was installing my new crane valve springs... I put my valves in the tumbler to clean them up, and look at what the dumb machine did to one of them....

Luckly its just one valve. Does anyone have a old exhaust valve laying around I could buy.... stupid Satan (dealer) wants to charge $50 for one valve. I don't want to spend the money to get Ferra Valves, I still need to buy a clutch, phantom grip, and head studs...

I'm pulling my motor next week. I'm using stock top end when I rebuild. I'm probably going to have head ported and polished. I'm not mesing with cams but would it be better to replace my valves now? Or would it make no difference?

Iam doing the same thign right now except Iam not going to port or polish yet

If you are going to boost high than aftermarket valves would be good you need better one's to put up with the heat and pressure
if you are going to do valves might as well do springs and retainers at the same time also

Wow, how hard is it to read guys. For one, he said he put them in the tumbler to get them clean, and that's how that one got bent. He already said "Luckily it's just one valve", which to me, means the others didn't get messed up. As for him not taking any chances, I believe that's part of the reason he made this post (someone might have an old stock one laying around for cheap :thumb: ). I'm pretty sure he's not moronically retarded enough to attempt installing that one, or any bent valve for that matter. He was simply stating the he didn't want to dish out the money for one of those expensive a$$ aftermarket replacements.

Anyways...sorry to hear about it man.
I guess I'll make sure not to use the tumbler...:p

XMasta19 said:
Wow, how hard is it to read guys. For one, he said he put them in the tumbler to get them clean, and that's how that one got bent. He already said "Luckily it's just one valve", which to me, means the others didn't get messed up. As for him not taking any chances, I believe that's part of the reason he made this post (someone might have an old stock one laying around for cheap :thumb: ). I'm pretty sure he's not moronically retarded enough to attempt installing that one, or any bent valve for that matter. He was simply stating the he didn't want to dish out the money for one of those expensive a$$ aftermarket replacements.

Anyways...sorry to hear about it man.
I guess I'll make sure not to use the tumbler...:p
Carefull XMasta19 your moronically retarded side is starting to show (see I can read!). If you think that you can eyeball a valve and tell that it is not bent, you must have special magic eyes. Of course if all bent valves were like that one then the world would be a magic place where J/offs like you would live in harmony with the outside world. But, sadly that is not he case. IF YOU COULD READ, then you would see that nobody is flamin' Snoop, we are just reminding Snoop of problems that he may not think about because he is pissed about his tumbler situation. IF YOU COULD READ, you would see that I put a disclaimer on my post that reminded Snoop that I knew he did not ask for my opinion but I think we respect each other enough that Snoop took in my opinion and made his own decision. IF YOU COULD READ, you would see that Snoop did not have a problem with what we offered up because Snoop is aware that we have all been in that position at one time or another and we have felt the pain.

Snoop if I am off base on this please let me know and I apologize in advance for hijacking your thread
MB

Dallas J said:

-Dallas J

Actually, that's www.jnZtuning.com And last time I checked, valves were about $15/each from the dealer.

OK. N/m. I just saw you got a 2G N/T. And the 1G valves are about $15 each. HOLY SHIT batman!!

M04667972 @ Valve+exhaust $58.28 $44.41 $44.41

That's the price for an exhaust valve? Stupid Neon motors!!! See? You should have bought a turbo car in the first place like we all told you to!!!
:D

bullettdsm said:
Carefull XMasta19 your moronically retarded side is starting to show (see I can read!). If you think that you can eyeball a valve and tell that it is not bent, you must have special magic eyes. Of course if all bent valves were like that one then the world would be a magic place where J/offs like you would live in harmony with the outside world. But, sadly that is not he case. IF YOU COULD READ, then you would see that nobody is flamin' Snoop, we are just reminding Snoop of problems that he may not think about because he is pissed about his tumbler situation. IF YOU COULD READ, you would see that I put a disclaimer on my post that reminded Snoop that I knew he did not ask for my opinion but I think we respect each other enough that Snoop took in my opinion and made his own decision. IF YOU COULD READ, you would see that Snoop did not have a problem with what we offered up because Snoop is aware that we have all been in that position at one time or another and we have felt the pain.

Snoop if I am off base on this please let me know and I apologize in advance for hijacking your thread
MB

ZING! :laugh:

wow.... settle down guys! Remember....... Goosefraba!

I checked the others on a balance machine at school. The rest are good. It looks like I'm just getting a set of Ferra Stainless Steel ones... I didn't want to spend the money, but looks like I don't have a choice. I can't bring myself to pay $50 for ONE stock one, when I can pay $240 to get 16 NEW stainless ones..

I think I figured out what happened... The valve steams were the exact diameter as the drain holes for the tumbler. I think one of them slid out and hit something while it was spinning. Remember this, I don't want this to happen to anyone else on here.

I'm setting a due date for my motor to be installed and the car running! March 26th. Wish me luck guys! I'm going to hit this date if I have to rob a bank!

Make sure you check out the Mitsu, Chrysler, and Dodge dealerships cause they all have different prices.

I ordered a set of Indy Stainless Valves, should be here today or tomorrow. I was test fitting my cams.... Crane packaged neon cams in the eclipse cam box...so now I have to send those back. Its always something

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back