The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

benefits to boost gauge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onnipotente

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2003
--_United_States
are there any benefits to having a boost gauge without a boost controller? what good is one without the other?

its one of the first things you should buy, along side a EGT gauge.

Many mods increase boost pressure over stock. Even an open element filter will increase boost. With an exhaust there can be a lot of creep, like up to 18psi on stock turbo. Plus it is always nice to know what your stock pressure was. It can be an indicator of if the car was running properly when purchased.

I actually bought my first boost gauge before I bought the car.

Way to actually answer his question, guys. He asked why, not if.

Why is good to have one on an otherwise stock DSM? Because it probably won't be stock for too long :D

Basically everything you do to the car can change the boost level. You'll want to keep an eye on it, to make sure it doesn't go too high. It's a good safety thing, even if you're 100% stock. The stock boost "gauge" doesn't actually display boost, it only shows a calculated number of what the ECU thinks is happening, which can be wrong on occasion. It's also very hard to read, and inaccurate.

That, and they're very cool.

-Jesse

I wouldn't go as far as to say that one MUST have an EGT guage. But many people will swear by them while others think they are a waste of space. I'm not going to waste my money on one since I have a decent logger and I want to spend $140 on something else. But it couldn't hurt if you did get one.

Originally posted by AWDLATIN
are you kidding?
No. EGTs are just about worthless. They dont react fast enough and they dont tell you enough because there are too many other factors that go into the readings.

I wish everyone would take the money they spend on an EGT and autometer a/f disco gauge and buy a wideband 10x more useful.

This thread should be in the knoobie forum.

Heh heh. Autometer disco gauge. Kinda like the old Cyberguess? ;) By the way, rdrkt is right.

Regards,

Interesting...

So how do you know when to let off the throttle if air/ratio is not in stoich levels? I know looking and 16:1 may give indications of poor levels, but how do you know when to let off?

1) Get a wideband O2.

or

2) Don't be stupid and be careful with your tuning. And get a good logger.

Jake

I'm going to have to agree with rdrkt as well on this one...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back