The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Benefits of tuning for e85?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Running E85 allows you to push more boost and advance timing more due to the higher octane rating. I don't reccomend it on a daily driver as your gas mileage will go way down.

110 octane there abouts. And no, due to the large increase of fuel needed if u try to run 93 on a e85 tune u will run far too rich

It is about equivalent to about 110 octane gasoline fuel. You do however give up about 30% in fuel mileage.

Most aftermarket turbo setups can look to gain 100 or more horsepower over 93, and more than that in torque.

You must run separate tunes for e85, and gasoline.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also burns cooler and keeps combustion chamber temps in check which also helps reduce likelihood of knock.

You turbo should spool faster with E85.

I ran a 50/50 mixture of E85 & pump gas for years and was able to run a really aggressive tune. I only run 60% E85 right now and get away with running 22* timing and 35-38 psi flowing 57-58 lb/min with 12:1 AFR and no knock.

Last edited by a moderator:
To make more power of course. E85 is the cheaper version of race gas, yet still really reliable most people fear it but seriously just throw it in with good tune it will be fine. Sure you need change paper filter from time to time more often becuase it cleans the crap out of the gas tank but it's not like your car is ganna blow up. It will be fine. I would come take you for a drive if you didn't live so far away.

Last edited:
So what's all required for an e85 tune? If I wanted to take my completely stock 2g and switch to e85 what would it require, I know there won't be any real advantage with the stock turbo (or is there?)?

im running e85...you will need at least a 1000cc injectors, something to tune it with, you can get away with a safc but id recommend link to take full advantage of tuning and messing with the timing tables and a bigger fuel pump.

I've read conflicting opinions about if you need to run upgraded SS fuel lines or not as well. Some people say yes, some say no. At the very least, you want to run a SS fuel filter. The factory paper ones will not last long running E85.

Thanks guys for all the responses and information! Unfortunately the fuel mileage loss, kind of kills the point of running e85 for me at this point; as I was really just looking to save some cash at the pump.

When I start to really dig for HP numbers it might be a more viable option.

I was also reading about alcohol injection they were doing with the evo, of course that's clearly in the hunt for more power not efficiency.

Anyone look into this kit, or run alcohol injection with their pump fuel?

Ok so I run e85 all day everyday stock fuel filter stock fuel pressure regulator stock fuel lines. Just change the fuel filter every so often. Make sure your tuning good like mine, I was getting 300miles to tank gas. It all depends on how you drive you don't really use more gas then normal. I this was back when I was running my 880cc injectors evo 3 16g and walbro 255 everything else fuel related was stock. Most people trip out about it but really you will be fine. Shoot theres people driving they gmc suburbans or whatever with there fancy flex fuel stock setup.. Just get a good tuner you be fine. alcohol injection is crap imo. E85 is way more fun cheap power makes pump gas look like water.

True, 110 Octane sounds great in a high compression world, but goodbye to economy. This is due to the much lower BTU output of alcohol than regular 90 plus octane needed for high compression applications.

This is why I love seeing people getting all worked up about buying 'Flex Fuel' vehicles and thinking on getting a cheaper fuel, whereas they'll just be buying more due to the lower BTU that E85 has compared to regular fuel that costs more.

Are they, thus, winning with this attitude outside the GOV't is winning no matter what to push the total removal of alcohol free fuels so you can buy newer cars that can handle E15 up to E85 fuels ?

If you want good fuel economy, get a 420a. I got around 37mpg on the hwy at 70mph consistently. I dont know why people even consider "fuel economy" in a car that can produce 300hp/Liter?!?!??? If you want the 4g63 do have decent fuel economy dont mod it and run it with straight pump. Dont boost it alot and it should get around 28 hwy. I think most of us who are at the point of switching to e85 dont care more about power than anything else

Edit: Totally agree dsm1g: this "flex fuel" "green" shit is about all i can handle for the reasons you stated. What a JOKE. But hush hush, lets not speak too loudly or OUR e85 pumps will start disappearing... LOL

The E85 stipend has ended. So we may start seeing them go away because of how much more it Costs to produce

I do not think an safc can tune a car running e85 reliably. You also need to change stuff in the timing tables to take advantage of the properties of e85. So assume you need a setup that can provide 30 percent more fuel. This means injectors, pump, FPR, and supporting maintenance. Once you have the fuel system taken care of you need a way to tune more then just AFR so you will need ecuflash or ecmlink to do a proper tune.

Keep in mind the mixer of the fuel is a truck driver looking to fill up quick at petroleum platform.
If your tuning with ethanol and get a bad tank full you can say goodbye to your motor.
Learn about specific gravity if your going to race.
If your planning on tuning with an safc don't bother.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back