The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

belt tension and starting problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tips000

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
kalkaska, Michigan
ok so when my car has cooled down (its like 20 degrees where i live) there is a really loud screeching noise and i have to feather the gas to keep the car running. after about a minute of feathering the gas it will idle just fine and the screeching stops... i was driving it and when i turn hard and give it gas (even in park) it will screech a little bit. im thinking the power steerin belt needs to be tightened? how tight should this be? and the fluid is a little low... can i just use regular over the counter power steering fluid? could this also cause the starting problem?

thanks
nate

edit: i also replaced plugs and wires today but the problem is still the same

id say it would be wise to add more fluid and tighten the belt. if it continues to squeal i would replace it. it shoundnt be causing a starting problem though. maybe its the alternator belt squealing?

would the alternator belt being loose cause the starting problem? how do i know the correct tension? do all of these belts just have 1 adjuster similar to the a/c belt? i adjusted the ac belt today because it was pretty loose... are the others going to be the same just in different locations or are there special procedures for different belts?

use bout the same amount of tension on all belts easy reule of thumb is you want the belt to be tight to the point you can twist the belt less than a 1/2 to 1/4 or acual way to correctlly check id to deflect the belt bout 1/2 to 1 inch from a straight line depending on which belt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back