The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Belt squeaking? Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Modesto, California
So I'm having what might be a common problem for others on this forum. I'm pretty sure it's my timing belt or one of the belts on my car at least. I've searched the forums but most people seem to have more severe problems like belt squeals or screeching sounds.

Mine is just a light squeak and it ONLY happens after I take my car for a drive. Driving it hard or light, it doesn't matter; it just squeaks every time I park it and let it idle.

I finally got a video of it today and thought maybe this would help in telling what's wrong. This video was taken after I drove to school. If anyone has any idea on what my situation may be, please feel free to share.
Thanks!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Well 1st you need to find out which belt (or bearing) it really is. Remove the accessary belts to see if it's the TB. If not TB put belts back on 1 at a time.

So it can be a bearing also? Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'll be taking those off. How would I be able to tell exactly which one it is? For example, would one of the belts have some wear and tear? I'm very new to this.

It can be a belt or water pump. Also it can be a bearing in the alternator, power steering, AC compressor clutch, TB tensioner pulley, TB idler pulley.

Pull off the Alt and AC belts. That will eliminate all accessary belts, water pump, alternator, power steering, AC compressor clutch. If noise is still there it only leaves the TB, TB tensioner pulley, and TB idler pulley (which if you replace you should do all of them anyway along with the tensioner).

If noise is with one of the accessary belts, check to make sure it's not the bearing of the thing the belt runs. Do this by placing the end of a long screwdriver on where the bearing is and the other handle end against your ear and listen for grinding noise. You can listen to another working properly thing with bearing for comparison if unsure.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys. Definitely a lot of suggestions here. I know it's not the power steering fluid since I just check it last week.

Now I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the water pump. I wanna take care of this soon but the problem is I don't have the time. Hope it's nothing to critical. I have other problems with the car to worry about also. Last owner wasn't too friendly with it I'm sure =/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back