The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Bell housing throw out bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95badasstsi95

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2006
henderson, Nevada
The shaft that the throw out bearing slides on snapped off the bell housing. I was thinking about getting it welding it back on. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone and and if the weld would hold or just snap off again i am running a ACT2600.

to ask another ?, the mitsu dealer said that 2gs are sleeved, but only the AWD trannys. their tech said the FWD are one piece design, and that his parts catalogue didnt have a part # listing for a "sleeve" for the FWD 2g.

The TOB snout/sleeve/cast aluminum protrusion from the bellhousing snapped off on a '98 GST transmission I have.
Has anyone had success with repairing a broken snout? Or know if anyone sells bellhousings?

Continuing my post from above, I've attached a photo of what my broken bellhousing looks like, and a photo of a generic (I don't know what from) bellhousing showing the snout/sleeve the throw out being slides on which is missing from mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_200759473-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20170408_200759473-800x600.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20170410-175849-600x1067.png
    Screenshot_20170410-175849-600x1067.png
    111 KB · Views: 94
Update 1/3/24
1g, and all FWD have no replaceable sleeve.
The TOB rides on the aluminum snout cast into the bell housing.
2g AWD and only 2g AWD have the aluminum snout also but a replaceable steel sleeve over that.

Update 1/3/24
1g, and all FWD have no replaceable sleeve.
The TOB rides on the aluminum snout cast into the bell housing.
2g AWD and only 2g AWD have the aluminum snout also but a replaceable steel sleeve over that.

Another update to this--someone stated that these wear "due to the metal inner sleeve of the OEM throw out bearing wearing it". This is also not correct.

The OEM throw out bearing has a resin sleeve, whereas a lot of aftermarket bearings use a metal inner race that WILL cause this problem.

That is why some clutch companies went to an OEM bearing in their kits after having this issue caused by aftermarket bearings, and why people suggest to get an OEM bearing if you bought a clutch kit with a metal sleeve bearing in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back