The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Been lurking have a Few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishytaco10

Proven Member
Aug 28, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Good evening,

I have been lurking on here for a while, just trying to soak up some information. I have been looking for a DSM for a few months now, so currently I do not own one but will be looking two in the next couple weeks. I have found a 1999 GST vin verified. But the owner says there’s a list of problems with it and was wondering if you guys n gals here think it’s worth the cost ($2,700). List of what’s wrong with it in the pictures attached.

Attachments

• 18037D47-A5DB-41A0-AA7A-7E73AD7D3C6E.jpeg
    18037D47-A5DB-41A0-AA7A-7E73AD7D3C6E.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 76
The problems in your list are not that hard to fix.... Depending on the shape of the rest of the car interior drive train wheels and tires ect should determine what the cars worth. The owner is being honest with you up front so that`s a good sign.

Sounds pretty easy to take care of. If the rest is in good shape, could be a nice buy. It is always concerning to see "upgraded turbo" with no mention of supporting mods.

Upgraded turbo. What else is done? What is your skill level? This guy doesn't have any or he wouldn't sell a car like this. Especially the valve cover gasket. No reason to not fix that before the sale. On this limited info my personal opinion is no. Hard to say without more firsthand knowledge.

The problems in your list are not that hard to fix.... Depending on the shape of the rest of the car interior drive train wheels and tires ect should determine what the cars worth. The owner is being honest with you up front so that`s a good sign.

I was thinking the same that it shouldn’t be hard to fix, especially with a little help from my mechanics at the dealership I currently work at. I went ahead and looked up the cost of parts that he mentioned was bad. Seems to not be terribly expensive at all so for now his car is still on my list to buy.

Sounds pretty easy to take care of. If the test is in good shape, could be a nice buy. It is always concerning to see "upgraded turbo" with no mention of supporting mods.

The rest of the car is kind of what I am worried about. From the pictures it doesn’t look like it’s in terrible shay but can only tell when I see it up close in personal.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Upgraded turbo. What else is done? What is your skill level? This guy doesn't have any or he wouldn't sell a car like this. Especially the valve cover gasket. No reason to not fix that before the sale. On this limited info my personal opinion is no. Hard to say without more firsthand knowledge.

All that’s shown in the picture is what he has told me so far. Other then it’s a built motor and he has been running 28lbs of boost on the car. Guess I really should be asking him to define his version of “built” motor. My skills mechanical wise is I would say basic, how ever I do have people that are mechanics that I work with at my dealership that said they would give me a hand and help me out. I don’t plan on doing much other then getting the car mechanically sound first to make sure everything is good to go with the car. Then go from there as far as the direction of my plans for it. The eclipse has always been a car that I loved since I seen my aunt with one way back in 1996. My list of cars in the past are as follows 99 Honda Prelude, 95 civic, 03 G35, 12 TC, 08 350z and 16 Frs. Along with a couple bikes 600 cbr, R1, and a busa.

Last edited by a moderator:

All that’s shown in the picture is what he has told me so far. Other then it’s a built motor and he has been running 28lbs of boost on the car. Guess I really should be asking him to define his version of “built” motor. My skills mechanical wise is I would say basic, how ever I do have people that are mechanics that I work with at my dealership that said they would give me a hand and help me out. I don’t plan on doing much other then getting the car mechanically sound first to make sure everything is good to go with the car. Then go from there as far as the direction of my plans for it. The eclipse has always been a car that I loved since I seen my aunt with one way back in 1996. My list of cars in the past are as follows 99 Honda Prelude, 95 civic, 03 G35, 12 TC, 08 350z and 16 Frs. Along with a couple bikes 600 cbr, R1, and a busa.
If youre considering this as a daily driver I would say no.

not considering it as a daily driver, just occasional driver mainly on the weekends. I have my embarrassing 2020 Jeep Compass to daily drive. Still regretting that I sold my FRS and bought the Compass

I would offer a little less than $2700 for this fwd, but I think it looks like a solid starting point. That wastegate and the tubular exhaust manifold probably both need replaced. What turbo is installed? Injectors? Which tuning solution? -It's been running on speed density logic, so it's either ECMLink or a standalone. How's the rust situation on the strut towers and rockers? The interior looks really nice and it looks like it used to be something before the guy who has it now parked it.

I would offer a little less than $2700 for this fwd, but I think it looks like a solid starting point. That wastegate and the tubular exhaust manifold probably both need replaced. What turbo is installed? Injectors? Tuning solution? How's the rust situation on the strut towers and rockers? The interior looks really nice and it looks like it used to be something before the guy who has it now parked it.

well I offered him $2,200 a few days ago and told him if he would take that I would come pick it up in about a week. And then he started giving me the information of what’s wrong with it so I think he will take $2,200 for it. I know the manifold will need to be replaced I already looked at a few options for replacements for it. I don’t plan on going cheap in the replacement parts because I want the car to last. The other things you mentioned I didn’t ask honestly. Other then the rust situation, he just said there wasn’t “really” any rust. But when I do go to him I am going to bring my sisters bf “mechanical engineer” and a mechanic from my dealership “Mazda” to have a look at it as well. If all checks out and there aren’t any major problems I think I’ll take it that day. Part of me is worried there is a underlying issue somewhere but it’s a old car so I know it’s not going to be perfect. Just glad I found this forum before I almost bought a 420a eclipse a few months ago

$2200 seems like it would be a good price for that car with all the mods, rebuilt engine, the leather interior, straight rust-free body, wheels, etc. I've spent thousands of dollars adding many of those things to my own GST, and I haven't even rebuilt the motor yet.... It adds up fast, so if you can get a car that already has those things done to it, your getting a good package deal...but remember most people aren't very meticulous with their DSM repairs and mods...so don't be surprised if you have to redo, replace or repair a bunch of things that have already supposedly been done on the car! Have fun with it...at 28 psi it's probably faster than any other car you've owned on your list. But maybe not the R1...and definitely not the Hayabusa!!

Cheers!

Never hurts to physically look at it. Never hurts to walk away if it's not what you want.

true I’m going to go look at it physically in about a week. I just happen to have run across the car and he has since took the listing down I believe and told me to let him know when I can come by.

$2200 seems like it would be a good price for that car with all the mods, rebuilt engine, the leather interior, straight rust-free body, wheels, etc. I've spent thousands of dollars adding many of those things to my own GST, and I haven't even rebuilt the motor yet.... It adds up fast, so if you can get a car that already has those things done to it, your getting a good package deal...but remember most people aren't very meticulous with their DSM repairs and mods...so don't be surprised if you have to redo, replace or repair a bunch of things that have already supposedly been done on the car! Have fun with it...at 28 psi it's probably faster than any other car you've owned on your list. But maybe not the R1...and definitely not the Hayabusa!!

Cheers!

Oh yea I have read up on quite a few things on these cars and snooped around looking at others experiences with DSM purchases. Thankfully my jobs commissions and salary are generous to me . As well as the ability to request Annual training when I a little extra cash helps a lot. If I do get the car this will be a slow process on everything no rush here since I have a daily.

I wouldn't pay more than $2,500 just because of the FWD aspect of it. Seems like they know the car well enough to have taken care of it. Have fun learning DSMs! I bet the mechanics at your place of work plus all of us here will be more than enough knowledge for you to get her up to par.

I wouldn't pay more than $2,500 just because of the FWD aspect of it. Seems like they know the car well enough to have taken care of it. Have fun learning DSMs! I bet the mechanics at your place of work plus all of us here will be more than enough knowledge for you to get her up to par.

Well looks like I won’t be getting a DSM at the moment guy sold it today guess he couldn’t wait a week longer. Oh well the search continues.....

Good evening,

I have been lurking on here for a while, just trying to soak up some information. I have been looking for a DSM for a few months now, so currently I do not own one but will be looking two in the next couple weeks. I have found a 1999 GST vin verified. But the owner says there’s a list of problems with it and was wondering if you guys n gals here think it’s worth the cost ($2,700). List of what’s wrong with it in the pictures attached.

I've recently had a engine rebuild 1800 trans rebuilt 1900 battery 130 that car is over 23 yrs old. Also struts, steering ,starter what I'm trying to say is everything is going to need to be replaced

Little update on the thread finalmy found one 98 gst that wasn’t in to bad of shape if you don’t count missing an engine, radiator, sunroof, engine harness, intercooler, needs new clutch, and computer . Paid 300 for it it’s basically a shell with a working trans. Overall though the outside looked fine as well as didn’t see any rust except for a few spots where I’ve heard was the norm for these cars. Here is a few pictures minus the front sets those was sold also

Attachments

• AD359222-3622-4B59-A254-920F75416E5E.jpeg
    AD359222-3622-4B59-A254-920F75416E5E.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 109D1652-A6D7-4F98-8BBB-82E4B1F244B1.jpeg
    109D1652-A6D7-4F98-8BBB-82E4B1F244B1.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 9006307B-F000-4B85-95A8-CC1E9130391E.jpeg
    9006307B-F000-4B85-95A8-CC1E9130391E.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 9D3B80FA-AF64-408C-BEA3-7D1C8F679366.jpeg
    9D3B80FA-AF64-408C-BEA3-7D1C8F679366.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 3581F7ED-0617-4546-85F8-5F8CCD1EBDE1.jpeg
    3581F7ED-0617-4546-85F8-5F8CCD1EBDE1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
You got a LOT of work ahead of you.

yea I know I have time I don’t need the car right away as I have my daily 2021 Mazda 3 hatch. When I seen it I knew it was going to be a HUGE!!! Project but it’s fine with me I have friends helping out also and a few mechanics as well. Just going to take my time with it no rush at the moment. Though I’m sure you guys here have heard that a million times

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back