The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Beefing up a 1.8SOHC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipsed93

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2006
Claremore, Oklahoma
Alright, I have a purely stock Eclipse, the little 1.8l SOHC is killing me because I'm used to the 300+hp I got out of my 1970 Monte Carlo.

But, back on topic, what bolt-ons or little things can I do to beef up this lil 1.8l without just throwing in another engine?

Thanks.

*Edit*......What would be be a good exhaust system for my Eclipse also, I hate the fact that I can't hear it down the road...I was something loud, but not sounding like bees in a can...

The 1.8 liter is an economy engine. Unless you want to do a LOT of custom work and put $$$ into it it's just not worth trying to get any power out of it.

This is of course my humble opinion....

Again, probably not worth it. I hate to be such a nay sayer, but when you can get an AWD DSM with the 4G63T already in it for less than $2K why would you bother with the 1.8? More hassle than it's worth.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=1gntupgrades

http://www.machv.com/goinfasinnon.html

xveganxcowboyx had some pretty good advice considering from where you are coming from (a 300 hp Monte Carlo). Those links I gave you give some pretty good advice, which is basically this, you won't get a lot from your 1.8L engine, but the basic upgrades provided will give you just a bit more. What I might actually suggest to you is keep your N/T Eclipse as a daily driver and pick up a 1g Turbo DSM. I've had both, the 1.8L N/T I used to have was so reliable but now my TSi AWD I own now is so much fun to drive. Still wish I had my 1.8L at times. So, basically if you want power, sell the 1.8L and get a Turbo DSM, if you have the extra space and money, get a Turbo DSM and keep the 1.8L.

everyone is against swap why? how many civics have integra motors out there? I know they could go buy integra for cheaper than swap.

splinter51 said:
everyone is against swap why? how many civics have integra motors out there? I know they could go buy integra for cheaper than swap.

I think because it is 1g eclipse to 1g eclipse swap, so does not make sense.
Splinter51 post pictures of your 92 Spyder N/T:sneaky: . I have not seen one before! LOL LOL LOL

hey i got two motors you can have. heck. you can take my hole car i'm tired of dealing with it. just give me some money and everything in my garage for a dsm is yours man.

splinter51 said:

Honda's swap easily provided they have the same series motors, and with a little bit of custom work.

A turbo DSM engine is not a direct swap into a non-turbo DSM. In the end you will spend far more for custom fab, labor, and parts than what a turbo DSM costs in the first place.

If we can't discourage you from this project, maybe this will: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48231

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back