The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Bearing removal & lock/snap ring & shim questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I've got the trans apart on my '92 Talon TSi AWD to fix an issue where it pops out of 1st gear most of the time and have several questions.

I just removed the 1st-2nd gear assembly on the intermediate shaft using a splitter and push-pull tool (I don't have a press or anywhere to store one and local shops charge way too much to do it). But I can't figure out how to cleanly remove the top/outer bearing, since the bottom of both the cage and inner race are below the 4th gear teeth and there's nothing solid to grab onto. Should I assemble the splitter under the rollers and try to pull it out that way? Can they and the cage handle that kind of pulling force, or would the whole thing kind of explode if I try that? Or will I need to cut it out using a dremel or angle grinder with a cutoff tool?

Also, I'm a bit confused by the reassembly process, regarding choosing the right lock/snap rings and shims. I mean I know what I need to do to select the right ones, using a feeler gauge for the rings and solder method for the shims. What I'm confused about is how to do this without placing three successive orders, the first for the parts to be replaced on the intermediate shaft (in my case it looks like the hub/slider, both synchros, springs, keys and bearings), the second for the lock ring, and the third for the shims.

What I mean is, I order the parts that need to be replaced, other than the lock rings and shims since I can't know yet what thicknesses I'll need, wait for them to arrive, then assemble the shaft with the new parts and a splitter and press (or push-puller if that works).

Then I measure the gap above the inner/bottom bearing to determine what thickness lock ring is needed, order that, wait for it to arrive, and install it.

Then I do the solder method to determine what thickness the shims need to be, order them, wait for them to arrive, then assemble the trans.

Is there any way to avoid waiting on the lock ring order? I mean can I do the solder method without the lock ring installed, and order both the lock ring and proper shims in the same order (I assume that Tim has lock rings of all sizes in addition to shims)? Or does the lock ring have to be installed to do the solder method properly? And if it's the latter, can I just temporarily reuse the old lock ring (assuming it's not too thick at this point) to do the solder method, then remove it and install the new ring when it arrives?

I'm haven't dove into the world of transmissions yet but maybe you might be able to find something useful in this series?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks, I must have seen this video series half a dozen times by now. He actually ended up placing multiple successive orders, but because he forgot to order certain parts or the vendor got the order wrong. I don't know if he addressed the question I asked.

If I have to place three orders I will, but I'm hoping to cut it down to just two at most (or one if by some miracle the existing shims are all the correct ones).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back