The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Bearing? In oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert503

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2008
Newberg, Oregon
Long story short, I’m doing a clutch job so I decided to drop my oil pan while I have my axles out as the pan seemed to be leaking. And boy I found a little gem sitting in the bottom the the pan, pretty sure it’s a rod or main bearing? Beat to heck and twisted up I will post pics. I can’t tell where this would have come from looking at the bottom end. No scratching or anything to indicate what area it came from. Everything is together and intact looking. The car was running a little off last I drove it, like it lacked power/ acceleration and knew my clutch was going out so I started there. Any help would be awesome! I can take more pics from different angle as well if needed

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's a balance shaft bearing, I've seen this a handful of times. Time to delete them.
When I did the timing belt I found It didn’t have the balance shaft belt so I thought they were already deleted, I can still see the shafts up in there so they obviously weren’t removed

When I did the timing belt I found It didn’t have the balance shaft belt so I thought they were already deleted, I can still see the shafts up in there so they obviously weren’t removed
Depending on which bearing it is, it could be bleeding off a lot of oil pressure....not good. Time to correct it.

Depending on which bearing it is, it could be bleeding off a lot of oil pressure....not good. Time to correct it.
Thank you I appreciate the help

Found it, the right rear bearing. Looks like it is probably allowing oil to rush out of the hole.
Also I think I’m okay with getting the clutch and everything back together and then tackling the silent shaft issues another weekend? Obviously won’t be starting it again until I resolve the shaft issues. I need to get it rolling. I can always pull the axles and what not to drop the pan if I need to. Sound about right?

That could take out your oil pump, if it hasn't already, you should pull the front cover and check the pump out, I would not try starting it like that for any reason, it could jump time, you should pull the rod caps and main caps and check for damage, also the cam caps to check for the same on their surface.

That’s wild the bearing got completely spit out of its bore like that!

The standard method of removing balance shaft appears to require pulling the engine, whether you delete or simply put new bearing and reinstall the shafts. That’s going to make a busy weekend…

That could take out your oil pump, if it hasn't already, you should pull the front cover and check the pump out, I would not try starting it like that for any reason, it could jump time, you should pull the rod caps and main caps and check for damage, also the cam caps to check for the same on their surface.
This was exactly how my original engine died. Oil pump locked up because of this bearing.

Finally pulled my engine this weekend and started to dig into it. I know the balance shaft bearing spun out and destroyed my oil pump… tried to bar the engine over this morning with the plugs pulled and it felt locked up. Got the head off and it would barley turn. Once I got 2 of the pistons out the crank finally started to spin by hand. The wrist pins seem very stiff on all of the pistons. There is fine metal everywhere, in every nook and cranny hah I took a video of the cylinder walls to see what you all think. I’ll get some more photos.

Getting parts to the shop soon. Doesn’t seem to bad to me. The third journal got the worst of it

To me, it looks like those main journals would need to be cut by .010" at least. The machine shop would tell you how much it would need to be cut. If the #3 journal thrust part is waving, I would look for another good crank.

I’m with Hiroshi, might be best to start looking for a crank however it’s hard for any of us to say without having it in hand. I will say in my opinion, again just going off pictures and not having it in hand, looks like it’ll definitely need cut and is damaged well beyond what polishing will get out, however only the machine shop can determine once they have it in hand.

I appreciate the replies. Yes this is the engine from the Talon I picked up last year and I drove it a decent amount.

The crap sandwich plate came loose after I installed new fittings to it and new oil cooler, never noticed a loss in oil pressure or oil dripping but it’s the factory oil pressure gauge. I’ll be picking up a forward facing OFH for sure.

It spun a balance shaft bearing apparently, the one connected to the oil pump. Fine metal everywhere, it felt locked up until a couple of the pistons were removed. The wrist pins are super stiff on all 4. I’ve yet to tear into the head… I’ll post pics of all the bearings here shortly

I’ll get pics of the rod bearings soon

This is concerning also. Approximately 1.2mm (.048) of wear on the inside of the block from the balance shaft grinding on it

That's not damaged by balance shaft grinding. That's by line boring for balance shaft holes from factory or a machine shop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back