The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Battery relocation cable through firewall.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cuervo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Omaha, Nebraska
Hi guys. I have a question. I'm relocating my battery to the trunk on my 1g. My question is:
For those that have 1g DSMs. Where or how did you route your cables through the firewall?
I read that some have route the battery cable through the hole that's close to the clutch and brake pedal on obviously the driver side firewall. Well, I have my boost gauge wire, my LC1 wideband wires and my fuel pump rewire though that hole with a grommet. It's a very tight fit already. Though, I'll be removing that 10gauge wire from the hole since the battery will be in the trunk, it's still way too small for the battery cable to to through it, with all the other cables from the boost gauge and the wideband.
So how did you guys do it? Did you end up drilling a hole through the firewall? If so, where at? Or is there another location?

Thanks in advance guys.
Cheers.

You have to push it through with a good bit of effort but it can be done. I used the same gauge of wire. Having another person could make it easier but I did it by myself. I'd suggest putting the wire in through the engine bay side first so you have a lot more room.
Oh. Ok. Would you happen to have a picture on how it looks? Like a picture of the wire harness with the cable going through it from the engine bay.
That would be great!

Using this photo from google of dave's old car, you'll just put the power wire through that hole. Real easy.

Otherwise could probably just drill a hole in the firewall a little bigger size than the wire and run it through there. Previous owner of my other current car did so and has it running underneath where all the blower motor and hvac equipment is placed under the dash (all of that stuff is removed currently).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Awesome! So you just made a hole on the wire harness rubber grommet boot thing and routed the cable through there?

There are quick disconnect bulkheads for this. I would advise against running it through the firewall near the engine harness. Although unlikely, depending on the quality of your grounds and whatnot, you could introduce electrical noise into your sensor wiring.

There are quick disconnect bulkheads for this. I would advise against running it through the firewall near the engine harness. Although unlikely, depending on the quality of your grounds and whatnot, you could introduce electrical noise into your sensor wiring.
Interesting. So what do you suggest?

Interesting. So what do you suggest?

You could also use a -12 an fuel bulkhead or wire pass through. I’ve just never been a fan of anything loose or just “stabbed through a boot” in my car.

You could also use a -12 an fuel bulkhead or wire pass through. I’ve just never been a fan of anything loose or just “stabbed through a boot” in my car.
Makes sense. I'll look into it. My thing is that I'm trying to avoid drilling a hole on the firewall. But this is definitely an option.
Thank you very much for the idea.

Not a 1G, but still an idea for you. I've routed the cables to the trunk for mine too. I'm doing a wire tuck and moving things around and no longer need the oem harness hole in the firewall for the harness. I have now routed my cables through it and will be searching for a apiece of rubber for a grommet.

Not a 1G, but still an idea for you. I've routed the cables to the trunk for mine too. I'm doing a wire tuck and moving things around and no longer need the oem harness hole in the firewall for the harness. I have now routed my cables through it and will be searching for a apiece of rubber for a grommet.
So, how are you routing your harness wires from the ECU, to the enigne Bay? So you are using the stock wire harness hole for the battery cable (s).
And the wiring from the ECU to the engine bay, such as sensors and all that? How will you route these?

Thanks man!

So, how are you routing your harness wires from the ECU, to the enigne Bay? So you are using the stock wire harness hole for the battery cable (s).
And the wiring from the ECU to the engine bay, such as sensors and all that? How will you route these?

Thanks man!
Since I'm redoing the harness, there will be a cannon plug bolted to the fire wall for quick disconnect. The oem harness hole will no longer be used for the harness. I will probably get a sheet of steel to cover the oem hole as well, so that the opening is smaller, and drill holes in that for the battery cables, and whatever else I send through it.

Since I'm redoing the harness, there will be a cannon plug bolted to the fire wall for quick disconnect. The oem harness hole will no longer be used for the harness. I will probably get a sheet of steel to cover the oem hole as well, so that the opening is smaller, and drill holes in that for the battery cables, and whatever else I send through it.
That's very nice.
You'll have lots of room for other things such as gauges, wideband and other cables that need to go though the firewall.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back