The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Battery not charging after sitting for 2 weeks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebas-1024

Proven Member
Jan 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Hi again, back with more issues on my '92 Galant. I had the car parked for about 2 weeks while I swapped my rusty fuel tank for a not so rusty one, I was about to take it for a drive and noticed that the battery was discharged even though the car had been on for 20-30 min, checked battery voltage with the car on and got something like 12.5 V which means the alternator is not charging the battery.

Had a look at the thick wire that's connected to the alternator by a nut and noticed a pretty considerable level of corrosion, went to take the nut off and the bolt snapped, so that was easy. The other connector which has 2 wires looks Ok enough that I don't think it would be the cause, but I'm not even sure about what those cables do, so I could be mistaken.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Image 1. This is where the thick wire connects (or used to anyway)

Tried getting the alternator out but it seems to be impossible without getting the steering pump or maybe the radiator out, at that point I decided to stop before I could do any more damage and ask around here.

1. What should I check first? Will be replacing that thick wire terminal since it's out already.
2. Is the bolt for the wire in the alternator replaceable somehow?
3. Any fuses or relays for the alternator? Could jut be a blown fuse and I'm about to take apart the entire car for no real reason.

Image 2. There was a 40 A fuse where the red line is that seemed to be "working" but had to destroy to get out, seemed to be almost fused with the fusebox, anything to do with the alternator?

4. Any way to take out the alternator without having to disassemble anything that's full of oil or coolant?
5. What are the cables in the alternator for? I found 3 in my case.

Long post as always, sorry and thanks for your help!

That bundle of wire is what somebody replaced the alternator fuse with. I guess they didn't know that it bolts in so this was their solution.

The B+ output post is part of the voltage regulator so replacing it will fix the post. Look for an Automotive electrical rebuilder in your area and take it to them.

That bundle of wire is what somebody replaced the alternator fuse with. I guess they didn't know that it bolts in so this was their solution.

The B+ output post is part of the voltage regulator so replacing it will fix the post. Look for an Automotive electrical rebuilder in your area and take it to them.
Do you happen to know the amps for that particular fuse? Can't seem to find it in the Service Manual.

Yep, on a DSM it's either depending on the alternator output. If you have the Galant's high output alternator use the 100A.

If you have the FSM try looking in the electrical manual for Power Distribution.

Thanks guys, guess I'll look for a 100 Amp to be safe. Will update if I can fix the alternator problem as well.
The Bussmann FLM100 (100 amp) that Steve showed is what I bought for a spare, for my 1990.
I found it by looking at fuse listings for 2g Talon or Eclipse turbo models in Rock Auto. The 1g listings showed the 80 amp.
Here's a link to their "more info" page for the FLM100:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back