The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G battery installed backwards!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
to get straight to the point..someone wasnt paying attention when putting my battery in and put it in backwards...after switching it around the car starts and the parking lights work...but if i put on low beams, the horn goes off..the windows dont roll up or down, my top wont budge, and the ac doesnt work!!! i checked all the fuses...is this a relay prob? and if so..would it be all of these that need replacing?:confused: :cry:

I would get a schematic and see what the horn and lo beams share. It could be as simple as a ground. Don't be shocked if you encounter alternator and pcm problems. Depending on the severity of the reversed contact will determine how many diodes you knocked out.

This could be interesting. You need to check for power to your window switches. If you don't have power, you may be looking for fuse links. Fuse links are near the fuse block and are wires of a smaller gauge than the wiring they are protecting. They can burn internally and won't even be seen. Use a test light and probe both sides to verify. If you find a burned one, find out it's proper gauge and simply replace it.

Good Luck

^^ yep, what he said :)

Something similar happened to me once when I dropped a wrench on the battery and grounded out the terminals. Turned out, I blew the 80A alternator fuse. it was hard to tell that it was blown at first, but after I replaced it, I got all my power stuff back. Not sure how your 2g differs from my car, but you might want to check that. Hopefully it's something simple like this, and doesn't turn into a weekend project :)

Check your Alternator fuse under the hood. I'll bet big bucks that it is blown, and it is well known to cause those problems. Might have even melted the wires/fuse.

EDIT:

Alternator is a 100amp fuse on the 2g.

spyder97gs said:
Check your Alternator fuse under the hood. I'll bet big bucks that it is blown, and it is well known to cause those problems. Might have even melted the wires/fuse.

EDIT:

Alternator is a 100amp fuse on the 2g.

great minds think alike :thumb:

alright so i was reading my haynes repair manual and it says that the links are under the hood in the fuse box. i took a look and im guessing that they are the bigger fuse looking pieces with the clear tops and have like "plugs" on the bottom? and im guessing that the relays are the all black "boxes" next to them (since thats what relays usually look like)? i moved around the relays and plugged them in different places to see if they all worked and they did. after disconnecting the fuse for the horn, i turn on the lowbeams and click them off, but they stay on! still no ac or windows etc...though. still the same solution? and how much do the links usually cost at an autozone?

LOL wow i got like 5 posts while i was typing my last reply! is there anyway to look at the fuse (for the alternator) and see if its blown or is it a test only type thing?

turbo98eclipse said:
LOL wow i got like 5 posts while i was typing my last reply! is there anyway to look at the fuse (for the alternator) and see if its blown or is it a test only type thing?

FWIW, I would go ahead and pull it out. It's not "that" difficult to pull out. You can try looking inside of it with it installed and see if anything looks out of place, but I would pull it, and replace it for $3 from advance auto.

ok so i went outside and looked at the atlernator fuse and the fillaments arent connected at all so guess what guys!! i blew the alternator fuse LOL...seeing as how this happened do you think that i could have messed up my alternator at all (as posted above)? and to replace it the whole "cartridge" is supposed to come out correct? all the other ones come out fine but this one is extra stubborn and wont budge!! im just making sure it comes out before i try to force it out and snap something off!:p and since its a blown fuse to the alternator, that means every time i start the car its running straight off the battery correct? thanx for all the help guys!!

turbo98eclipse said:
ok so i went outside and looked at the atlernator fuse and the fillaments arent connected at all so guess what guys!! i blew the alternator fuse LOL...seeing as how this happened do you think that i could have messed up my alternator at all (as posted above)? and to replace it the whole "cartridge" is supposed to come out correct? all the other ones come out fine but this one is extra stubborn and wont budge!! im just making sure it comes out before i try to force it out and snap something off!:p and since its a blown fuse to the alternator, that means every time i start the car its running straight off the battery correct? thanx for all the help guys!!

Not sure about 2gs but in 1gs that 80A (black) fuse (or 100A on a 2g :D) is held in by one or two small bolts. Might want to check that out before you pull it. If you accidentally pull it out w/out removing the screw(s), all it will do is rip the two copper posts off the bottom -- no big deal, since you are replacing it anyway.

I think a replacement fuse is like 2-3 dollars from any auto parts store. Cheap fix! :thumb:

As far as it messing up your alternator...I have never heard of this happeneing, so I think you're ok there.

turbo98eclipse said:

Yes, it is held in my two small bolts, one on each side. You may have even melted it as I did one time. It was a PITA to get out. You will need to get a replacement 100amp fusible link, should be blue in color. Your alternator should be fine.

yea i saw some screws there thats why i asked...and would this fuse really make the windows, interior light, alarm, roof, light/horn mess up? if so, i never knew this fuse was so vital! LOL

spyder97gs said:
Yes, it is held in my two small bolts, one on each side. You may have even melted it as I did one time. It was a PITA to get out. You will need to get a replacement 100amp fusible link, should be blue in color. Your alternator should be fine.

LOL, we did it again :D

Oh, and to answer your other question, turbo98eclipse -- yes, with that fuse gone, every time you start your car now, you are running straight from the battery. Don't do that anymore -- :nono: LOL

also, yes, that fuse is pretty vital....i found that out the hard way, too. haha. I was like 'where did all my power stuff go'???? :confused: LOL

Just as femmeDSM said. When mine blew, I would go to turn on my lights and the brights would come on and stick, and the horn/alarm would go nonstop until I disconnected battery.

thanx for all the help guys!! after i replace the fuse tomorrow ill post again to let you guys know how it went!!:rocks:

that's nothin'....when mine blew, my power seatbelts got stuck in the 'door closed' position, so i was stuck in my car until i climbed out from under the belt. haha. i thought my car was possessed

i just had this same problem yesterday on my 95 gsx it turned out to be the little bolts on my positive terminal where the two wires are connected was loose so i tightened it up and everything worked perfectly
check them out anyways
goodluck

turbo98eclipse said:
to get straight to the point..someone wasnt paying attention when putting my battery in and put it in backwards...after switching it around the car starts and the parking lights work...but if i put on low beams, the horn goes off..the windows dont roll up or down, my top wont budge, and the ac doesnt work!!! i checked all the fuses...is this a relay prob? and if so..would it be all of these that need replacing?:confused: :cry:

Good job all on the fuse thing. If it turns out to be the alternator fuse, that would confirm checking fuses with a test light or multimeter. The fuses can look good and actually be bad.

:rocks:

sorry for the horrible pic

Attachments

• fuse!.JPG
    fuse!.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 326
yeah, wow, that's bad....wow. looks like a trip to autozone is in your immediate future ;)

Damn that's bad. That's what fuses are for. It is cheaper to replace the fuse instead of the device it is connected to. The alternator should be fine, it looks like the fuse did what it was intended to do - BLOW!.

You are lucky that nothing else happened. I had something similar happen to me when I had my 92 Eclipse. A friend of mine tried to jump his car (and he assured me he knew what he was doing), got the wires crossed. Long story short - my battery terminal caught of fire, battery fluid went every where (no he didn't get burned). BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND BATTERIES!.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back