The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Base timing is off by a ridiculous amount

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMTyson

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Alright well. I just got my car running again with the new semi built head, and tonight I went to go set base timing.

With the timing connector grounded via link. and the timing light reading from both spark plug wire #1 & 4(get the same readings and my timing light seems to work better on #4) I get very odd readings, see my attached picture to see what i'm talking about. No matter how far I rotate the cas either way, it stays in that general area(blue).

Mechanical timing is verified. All the timing marks line up.

Tried rotating the cas 180* out to see if I accidentally installed it 180* out and it literally ran the same and gave me the same base timing results. I put it back the way it was

After giving up and adjusting base timing by ear(what else could I do LOL) I decided to take it for a drive and see how it was running. There is a log below. Part throttle knock. Yes I know my voltage is low. I believe my alternator is no good. And yes I know it was running a bit hot. I forgot to flip on the radiator fan :toobad: . Gimme a break, I've had a rough night.

Let me know what you think. I'm starting to lean towards the possibility that the crank pulley is starting to separate. although the timing mark stays in the same general area and does not rotate counter clockwise...

I'm going out to inspect the pulley right meow.

EDIT: It is NOT the crank pulley. The Pulley is good.

Attachments

• 000011111.jpg
    000011111.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 56
  • log.2012.07.09-06.elg
    224.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Not able to view your log for whatever reason, but I'm going to bank on a slipped crank pulley.

This is a picture forwarded to me. There is a red line where the ignition timing marks are on the pulley. I need to find mine to compare, but perhaps someone else can chime in and point out if it looks a little out of place VS where it should be based on the position of the alignment dowel?

Attachments

• Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 54
Looking at pictures - the best I could find is a 2G crank pulley and I'm not sure if they're different as far as placement of the ignition timing mark - It looks dead on.

Could the crank timing plate be on backwards? Timing marks would still line up but the pistons would be in the wrong spot and the crank pulley would deff. Be off

Nvm I see you resolved it without posting the solution.

It's the Mythical Motor of Massive Timing! I have heard if you play World of Warcraft so long you have the equivalent hours of a person at normal retirement age, you get one of these... it's supposed to be so far advanced, it actually time travels!:D

Resolution was a crappy timing light, apparently. :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back