The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Base timing HKS gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
I have never invested in adjustable cam gears. I just need some direction. Do they come set to TDC and you just have to line the timing marks on them? Any help Will be appreciated.

I will need some for the dyno next month.

Are you running HKS or another brand of some sort?
Basically all brand would be the same. line up the center line (mark) on outer and inner pulley. That would be the center (zero), the same position as stock gears.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Basically all brand would be the same. line up the center line (mark) on outer and inner pulley. That would be the center (zero), the same position as stock gears.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Do you know where i can get the purple HKS cam gears for the best price?

Do you know where i can get the purple HKS cam gears for the best price?
I think the price would be almost the same or similar between the official dealers. HKS gears would cost like double of other brands though 😓
If you would like to purchase new HKS gears or Tomei gears, I highly recommend to purchase through official dealers even if it's a little bit more expensive, since there are so many copies of JDM brand cam gears from China, Malaysia etc. You should avoid to purchase through unknown vendors in eBay, Amazon etc even if it's cheaper.

I buy all performance, maint, and accessories from STM and Extreme PSI those are good sources right? I did know if you new a speed shop or vendor that might be just a bit cheaper or someone with some gently used gears

I buy all performance, maint, and accessories from STM and Extreme PSI those are good sources right?
Yes of course they are good:thumb:
I did know if you new a speed shop or vendor that might be just a bit cheaper or someone with some gently used gears
Let me check and I will let you know if I find one.

The ones on STM look a little brighter than yours, are they different than yours or is it just an optical illusion from the pictures brightness?

I run Fidanza and AEM Tru-Time gears but really all are nice for adjustability. What ever you get, make sure all of the bolts are tight (but don't Hulk out on them).
@spyderdrifter, I notice your purple HKS belt also says Gates on it like mine......interesting! :hmm:

I tried to find a "Gates" # for it, as I was questioned in another thread about it. I didn't doubt it, I like Gates belts and run them also. Thanks H! ;)

I run Fidanza and AEM Tru-Time gears but really all are nice for adjustability. What ever you get, make sure all of the bolts are tight (but don't Hulk out on them).
@spyderdrifter, I notice your purple HKS belt also says Gates on it like mine......interesting! :hmm:
There's a pic of mine on my home page profile and mine says gates as well, what does that mean?

Its GOOD.
I was asked about the "Gates" on mine a while back. I trust there products and the purple belt is top of the line along with the HKS name!

HKS recently have 2 logos on their belts, only HKS logo and HKS logo with Gates logo. Anyways HKS belts are supplied by Gates Unitta (US/Japan company that is owned by Gates). Can't go wrong with it.
All major brands work very well. And I am sure the color is one of the most important facts for many people to select timing belt.

Those are the brands that you can probably purchase easily in the market now. (I may have missed some)

Timing Belt :
HKS : Purple
Gates : Blue
Cosworth : Blue
GReddy : Blue
Power Enterprise : Blue
Tomei : Black
Mitsubishi : Black
Toda Racing : Red

Cam Gear (Old discontinued color not included) :
AEM : Black (5 bolts)
Kelford : Black (5 Bolts)
Jun Auto : Black (4 Bolts)
HKS : Purple (3 Bolts)
Tomei : Red (5 Bolts)
Fidanza : Red/Blue/Silver/Black (Limited) (5 Bolts)
Brian Crower : Gold (4 Bolts)

Last edited:
@DSMPT is always a WEALTH of knowledge!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back