The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Bankruptcy and leaving the car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phunny

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2005
Pittsboro, Indiana
I just filed bankruptcy and they said they aren't coming and getting my 1995 talon, and they are keeping the title.? Is there any way of selling this thing? I had someone tell me to just buy a parts car and change the VIN plates. I asked about legality and was told it's just like if you buy 3 cars and build one out of it, which VIN is the car. Any suggestions?

phunny said:
I just filed bankruptcy and they said they aren't coming and getting my 1995 talon, and they are keeping the title.? Is there any way of selling this thing? I had someone tell me to just buy a parts car and change the VIN plates. I asked about legality and was told it's just like if you buy 3 cars and build one out of it, which VIN is the car. Any suggestions?
I'm pretty sure witching V.I.N. Plates is illegal.

I'm assuming your bank still has a lien on the title? Check with your bank, most banks allow you to sell the car even if it's under lien as long as what you sell the car for is at least in the amount that you still owe the bank.

o wll ill give u 900 for it with or with out a title :)

I would give you $1,000 for the car, Cash and come rollback it home since i'm in PA. If it were me, I would get a vin # from a ''junk'' car and put that on. No one is going to know, Unless you tell them.

1993eclipseGS said:
I would give you $1,000 for the car, Cash and come rollback it home since i'm in PA. If it were me, I would get a vin # from a ''junk'' car and put that on. No one is going to know, Unless you tell them.
LOL you loser :p j/k

Looks like you got yourself in some real trouble financally. Do you really need the risk of going to jail and/or a large fine for switching the VIN.

Talk to the bank, they should let you sell it.

switching vins will get you busted. the vin is stamped all over the car its not just the plate under the windsheild.

ill give you 2,000 for it and then say u left it at my house and get an abandoned car title

The bank WILL let you sell it, they just get first "dibs" on the amount it's sold for since they are the lien holder of the title, you will just be liable for any amount owed after the sale. However, you can part it out and keep any money because you haven't transferred the title.

At some point the bank or whoever WILL come looking for the car. Just right now they don't want it, they're hoping you come to your senses and start paying again, but they will after you haven't paid in like 6-8 months or something. If it was that easy, then nobody would pay for their cars and just keep them.

Hold onto the car untill you are declaired bankrupt. You may end up getting the title.

I would agree on not switching vins.

They just passed a law a few months ago on bankrupcy, even if you file bankrupcy. your still held accountable for your debts, and you will pay them. They will garnish your wages untill the debts are payed off. Before that law was passed you could file bankrupcy and it was basiclly like a do-over.

right before they changed the law my buddy had 48k in debt all in mostly parts for his cobra, cobra was in his dads name though se when he filed bankruptcy he did not pay for any of it

NeOzz1 said:
right before they changed the law my buddy had 48k in debt all in mostly parts for his cobra, cobra was in his dads name though se when he filed bankruptcy he did not pay for any of it

Tell your friend thanks for being a douche and screwing the rest of us over. :rolleyes:

LOL I told him he was an idiot already trust me

You may want to talk to the bankruptcy lawyer, you can actually file bankruptcy and leave the car loan out of it. Then you don't have to worry about just make up the payments and your goog to go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back