The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Ball joints

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
So I took my 95 Talon to get a front end alignment about a week ago and was informed it would be about $400 due to the fact that my ball joints are wobbly and that means they’re bad from what they told/showed me. So of course I drove that sucker home only because they wanted to put some moog parts on when I’d rather go oem if I’m going to spend the money.

From my research I can’t just replace the ball joint, so what do I need to replace? Do I need to change the knuckle, compression arm, and the straight arm? Or could I just do straight arm? Just looking for some guidance here before I go too crazy on extremepsi LOL

If it's still available the balljoint recall kit has new arms and new spindles and it's cheap. Call JNZ.
New controls arms is also a great time to install new bushings as the old ones push out easily. I did this and it was cheap.

If it's still available the balljoint recall kit has new arms and new spindles and it's cheap. Call JNZ.
New controls arms is also a great time to install new bushings as the old ones push out easily. I did this and it was cheap.

okay thank you so much for the info, so I just call them and tell them I’m looking for a ball joint recall kit? Which bushings am I looking at? I just searched my vin number and it has maybe 6 recalls how can I check if they have been performed? And will Mitsubishi do anything about those?

After this amount of time I doubt you'll get any recall performed. It's probably already been done. You can ask a dealer but good luck. The recall kit has everything you need. Changing bushings is optional. I did it because I was going to do it anyway and with new parts it was cake. BTW they don't just press out by hand. If you're not familiar with the process go look it up. I own a 20 ton press.

After this amount of time I doubt you'll get any recall performed. It's probably already been done. You can ask a dealer but good luck. The recall kit has everything you need. Changing bushings is optional. I did it because I was going to do it anyway and with new parts it was cake. BTW they don't just press out by hand. If you're not familiar with the process go look it up. I own a 20 ton press.

yeah figured I’d ask, but thanks to you and others for the help here I think I’ve figured out all I need. Hopefully placing an order today and digging into it when the parts arrive.

Source new bolts that go through the lateral arm. If they have never been off you are better off replacing them if they don’t come out easy. Here is a thread with suspension bolt sizes for the 2g:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/suspension-bolt-nut-sizes.364865/

That’s very helpful thank you for that. The car is really a daily, how are the stock bushings? Should I buy aftermarket? I’m looking at extreme psi and they have so many sets I’m not even sure which one to buy if I did

I went with prothane. I don’t have much experience with energy suspension bushings. The install was easy once you get the old bushing out. I was in an apartment complex at the time of doing mine so the torch method to get them out would have been highly frowned upon. I used a hole saw on a drill to get to rubber out and then a hand saw to cut the steel bushing on one side. Then you can hammer it out.
This is the kit I got off extreme PSI. They also offer just the front or rear kit if you look in the “aftermarket bushings” section rather than the “bushing kits” section.
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/Pr...ension-Bushings-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-95-99.html

I went with prothane. I don’t have much experience with energy suspension bushings. The install was easy once you get the old bushing out. I was in an apartment complex at the time of doing mine so the torch method to get them out would have been highly frowned upon. I used a hole saw on a drill to get to rubber out and then a hand saw to cut the steel bushing on one side. Then you can hammer it out.
This is the kit I got off extreme PSI. They also offer just the front or rear kit if you look in the “aftermarket bushings” section rather than the “bushing kits” section.
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/Pr...ension-Bushings-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-95-99.html

that doesn’t sound too bad I definitely have the right tools around to make it happen if not I was thinking to have a local shop just install the bushings for me. So I’m looking at prothane kits and find this https://stmtuned.com/collections/1g...ts/prothane-front-control-arm-bushings-2g-dsm

but looking at extreme psi they only have a front end lower control arm kit. I’m just confused, I just want the bushing for the parts I ordered or atleast in that general area not the rear or engine mounts and stuff.

Yeah. That’s all you need. The kit has 4 bigger bushings Halves, those are For the lower control arm inboard mounting point to the front subframe. The 8 smaller halves you see in the photos are for the upper control arms at the inboard mounting point

Keep in mind how the car is used. You sound very unsure of what you need. Each part added takes the car further from being a street car. I have no problem with urethane bushings for street use but harder durometer will increase NVH. Prothane more so. If you had a solid idea of what this stuff does and what you want the car to do I dont think you would be asking questions. That being said I would define the car before you buy any more parts.

Just know that poly bushings require re-greasing every so often and can be a little noisier than rubber bushings. They also add a little bit of stiffness to the ride, as they're meant to give less. For those of us who want better handling, we're good with those trade-offs. But some will end up not liking it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back