The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Balancer Belt Broken

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllenTallen

Proven Member
Oct 3, 2020
Houston, Texas
Doing maintenance to my 1g and after taking timing cover off notice the balance belt is broken. I’ve been driving like that for at least 200miles(I just bought the car 2 weeks ago) I’m also going to be changing all the belts, pulleys and water pump since I’m here. Thinking of the front main seal as well.

My question is how does this affect my performance being this whole time the balancer belt has been broken? Could this be why I’m having an oil leak? Thank you very much for your reply’s

Attachments

• 84E5A63B-FE5D-4AB6-8A3F-55E7E7DB29B9.jpeg
    84E5A63B-FE5D-4AB6-8A3F-55E7E7DB29B9.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 6672F8AD-826D-44A4-BDB7-FA0B66FA1F3A.jpeg
    6672F8AD-826D-44A4-BDB7-FA0B66FA1F3A.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 35CDE497-D130-4F35-9429-D6B82BD3FB25.jpeg
    35CDE497-D130-4F35-9429-D6B82BD3FB25.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 48
Its not likely the source of your oil leak, old engines leak oil thats more likely the reason, you need new seals and gaskets all over that engine. As far as performance a broken balancer belt wont hurt performance at all, you should notice more vibration is all.

Hopefully your just getting “good vibrations” LOL from the lack of a balance shaft spinning, you apparently avoided the catastrophic failure of the balancer belt taking out the timing belt when it broke so consider yourself lucky. The oil leak is harder to pin down until you replace the belts and clean up the front case, the broken belt is not causing the oil leak, but the oil leak may have had a part to play in the belt, coolant/oil is good for belts, I would just get in there and replace the belts/tensioners and water pump, everything that comes in timing belt kit, and thoroughly clean up the motor, maybe check the cam seals? Its hard to pin point an oil leak when everything’s covered in oil LOL

Coolant/Oil is NOT good for belts LOL, just correcting my post :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully your just getting “good vibrations” LOL from the lack of a balance shaft spinning, you apparently avoided the catastrophic failure of the balancer belt taking out the timing belt when it broke so consider yourself lucky. The oil leak is harder to pin down until you replace the belts and clean up the front case, the broken belt is not causing the oil leak, but the oil leak may have had a part to play in the belt, coolant/oil is good for belts, I would just get in there and replace the belts/tensioners and water pump, everything that comes in timing belt kit, and thoroughly clean up the motor, maybe check the cam seals? Its hard to pin point an oil leak when everything’s covered in oil LOL

It’s crazy because the top motor mount is trash and no balancer belt & she wasn’t vibrating to my knowledge LOL I’m sure she was but didn’t notice since I’m just very excited to have bought the car haha & yes you’re so right I was reading on so many tragic story’s where the balancer belt snapped off and destroyed everything. I’m very fortunate! Thank you for your reply I’m on STMtuned right now going to order the kit. I just notice the exhaust cam seal is leaking! Sorry for the dumb question but what all could be leaking? I’m thinking about changing everything since I’m here. All I know of is the front main seal, cam seals.:|

Its not likely the source of your oil leak, old engines leak oil thats more likely the reason, you need new seals and gaskets all over that engine. As far as performance a broken balancer belt wont hurt performance at all, you should notice more vibration is all.
Thanks for your reply and very nice GST!! :hellyeah: New seals and gaskets could be like front main seals, Cam seals what what else could possibly leak oil in the front :confused: I want to change as much as I can while I’m doing my timing belt. thank you for your reply

That’s what the front case looks nice.

Attachments

• 06C4F7FA-A028-450E-9230-E65B9B1180C0.jpeg
    06C4F7FA-A028-450E-9230-E65B9B1180C0.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 45
We’ll never know until you clean it up, just replace the timing belt/balancer belt, pulleys, tensioner and and water pump, and the cam seals and you should be good, there’s a good ole factory vhs style 2 part video on YouTube that I always followed, it’s not that hard, you just need the right tools and take your time, these cars can be as reliable as YOU the owner decide to make them with a little effort:thumb:

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL
We’ll never know until you clean it up, just replace the timing belt/balancer belt, pulleys, tensioner and and water pump, and the cam seals and you should be good, there’s a good ole factory vhs style 2 part video on YouTube that I always followed, it’s not that hard, you just need the right tools and take your time, these cars can be as reliable as YOU the owner decide to make them with a little effort:thumb:

Yes, like you said can’t see anything with all that 30yr old oil everywhere ROFL ok will do I will definitely let you know how everything goes when completed. Idk how long stmtuned takes but as soon as everything comes in I’ll be back in the garage. Do you happen to have a link or know the title of the YouTube? Thank you very much!!

There are 5 seals, one oring and two gaskets. All are potential leaks. At a minimum i would replace the 5 seals. Both balance shafts have a seal. Technically the rear is the oil pump sprocket but it connects to the balance shaft. Front main seal and two cam seals. That makes 5. The oring is under the castle nut for the oil pump/rear balance shaft.

There are 5 seals, one oring and two gaskets. All are potential leaks. At a minimum i would replace the 5 seals. Both balance shafts have a seal. Technically the rear is the oil pump sprocket but it connects to the balance shaft. Front main seal and two cam seals. That makes 5. The oring is under the castle nut for the oil pump/rear balance shaft.

Thanks Pauley! I just ordered from STMtuned.com

Camshaft seal x2
Oil pump sprocket seal
Front main seal
Balancer shaft seal
Valve cover seal
STM timing belt kit. Went with Blue gates belts and the OEM water pump.
Timing belt pre load tool
Cam gear lock tool
Tensioner tool from Jayracing.com because it was cheaper :sneaky:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your welcome.

You’re awesome for those links I will be visiting them! Thank you so much. I’ve done some good amount of research as to what exact seals are on the front case that could leak and I went ahead And ordered the following:

Camshaft seal x2
Oil pump sprocket seal
Front main seal
Balancer shaft seal
Valve cover seal
STM timing belt kit. Went with Blue gates belts and the OEM water pump.
Timing belt pre load tool
Cam gear lock tool
Tensioner tool from Jayracing.com because it was cheaper :sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back