The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

balance shaft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yngvar

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 22, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
I took my timing belt off to day and I noticed I had no balance shaft belt on and thought that the guy before me took it out put later when I was looking around I noticed the sprocket for the front balance shaft was still there. I started turning it started off hard but after a point the sprocket would spin freely a half a turn and stop pointing down so I think the front shaft is still there. My question is by running the car with the balance shaft in but not hooked up will that hurt anything?

My question is both balance shafts are in the car but there is no balance shaft belt hooked up to it will this hurt my engine

That is a "yes" to the question in post 2. No, it will not ruin the engine but it will shake more than if both balance shafts are removed. To learn more read the reference thread given in post 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it went over my head and thanks you for the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back