The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Balance shaft tough to turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimta

Proven Member
Jul 17, 2013
Brandon, Florida
Long story short, Im doing a timing job on my 97 GST and I noticed while I was attempting to time the oil sprocket and balance shaft sprockets that I was unable to do the twist trick. The sprockets do not spin freely. What does this mean?
I am unable to do what this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nflPydb2ZRY

I dont think the issue is the pump because I was getting good oil pressure before and its both sprockets that are difficult to turn. Plus the car hasnt had oil pressure in 2 months ish. Why would I need a new front case?

You can still have decent oil pressure even if you are starting to spin the BS bearing.

Now how tight is it to turn the gear by hand?

Is it the oil pump gear or the front BS gear or both?

Sounds like a spun balance shaft bearing or the oil pump has seen better days.

You can still have decent oil pressure even if you are starting to spin the BS bearing.

Now how tight is it to turn the gear by hand?

Is it the oil pump gear or the front BS gear or both?

Its both the oil pump gear and the front bs gear.
Its not too tight to turn by hand but it doesn't spin freely as shown in the video. There is also a certain point in the rotation where it becomes a bit more difficult to turn. Should I finish timing it and start it up and see how it runs? I'm trying to put off a bse if its not needed

Its both the oil pump gear and the front bs gear.
Its not too tight to turn by hand but it doesn't spin freely as shown in the video. There is also a certain point in the rotation where it becomes a bit more difficult to turn. Should I finish timing it and start it up and see how it runs? I'm trying to put off a bse if its not needed

its like asking it to break.

I've done several timing belts on these engines and everything should be spinning freely consistently. On the balance shaft all you should be feeling is the counterweights wanting to rolling it over, it would take a bit more to turn it, but it should be smooth.

If its a mangled bearing and the shaft seizes it will break the balance belt then probably the timing belt and you will be doing a rebuild.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back